Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Brake bleed fluid amount  (Read 1896 times)

• Offline MNGreg

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline MNGreg

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • MNGreg
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Maple Lake
    Brake bleed fluid amount
    on: May 28, 2021, 02.54 pm
    May 28, 2021, 02.54 pm
    Hello.

So I bleed my clutch yesterday. Holy cow that was hard to get the house over the valve in there!!!

I also sucked the fluid out of the front brake reservoir. My clutch and brake fluid looked almost brand new, nice and clean and clear even though it's been three years since the dealer bled them.

So because it is so clean, i could not tell when i had basically flushed all of the old clutch fluid out. I just kept pumping (no bubbles obviously) until i had refilled the reservoir 3 full times, filled it a 4th and called it done.

With ABS (i have the dealer tool), about how many reservoirs to flush each front and back and the linked brake? Then how many reservoirs after pulsing the abs to know i have a totally flushed system? Anyone know?
    1 have 1/2 small container of motul rbf600 500ml left from the clutch yesterday and another full 500ml bottle.  Will i want more?

If i can also confirm. Seemed like the clutch had a 10mm size and per service manual, sounds like that has a speed bleeder type  valve? I still used my motion pro check valve.
    Breaks are 10mm size also?

Thank you very much!!

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2948

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Brake bleed fluid amount
    Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 10.45 pm
    May 28, 2021, 10.45 pm
    Yes, right, bleeding the clutch circuit is much more complicated than bleeding the brakes.

To bleed the ABS circuit, it will not ask for much fluid, I cannot say how much it will need because that depends on the state of each motorcycle, brake fluid circuitry, pumps and master cylinders. But it will be minimal necessary.

To bleed the clutch and brakes I use this tool that works great.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline MNGreg

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline MNGreg

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • MNGreg
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Maple Lake
    Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 11.38 am
    May 29, 2021, 11.38 am
    Yep, that tool is just like the motionpro one I use. Couldnít agree more that itísa great purchase.

So possibly maybe just 1-2 reservoir fills for each bleed valve and I could safely assume I got all the fluid out?

My fz1 I could see the color change in the line coming out from old to new. But as stated, the old fluid on the trophy looks almost pristine.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2948

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 12.47 pm
    May 29, 2021, 12.47 pm
    Being a closed circuit, it is almost certain that if all the old liquid were to come out. Note that once a brake fluid reservoir is empty, it means that all of your brake fluid has been transmitted through its tubing and then when the new brake fluid is replenished, it pushes the brake fluid into the outside through its pipe to extract liquid already new. Then it is already a question of removing all the air from the interior of the circuit.

With the tool you use, as you well know, you will avoid re-entering air in the opposite direction.

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1480

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 02.19 pm
    May 29, 2021, 02.19 pm
    If you do indeed have Speed Bleeders on your brakes, you donít need any tool to assist in bleeding the brakes. All you need to do is loosen each Bleeder a quarter to half turn, and pump your brakes as you replenish your reservoir. Work n one Bleeder at a time. The one way check valve incorporated in each Bleeder prevents air from getting into the system. The process couldnít be any simpler. I generally try to split the contents of my fresh container of brake fluid evenly between the reservoirs, and when itís empty, the job is completed. Iím sure that is overkill, but brake fluid shouldnít be stored once the container is opened anyway...  :028:

• Offline smash   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    191

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 02.31 pm
    May 29, 2021, 02.31 pm
    I don't believe I would go to the trouble to change brake fluid I couldn't distinguish from new.

• Offline Merlot

• Trophy Member  ‐    84

Offline Merlot

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Southampton
    Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 06.17 pm
    May 29, 2021, 06.17 pm
    And I thought it was only me that trouble with the clutch bleed nipple! 
     :002:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2948

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 12.35 am
    May 30, 2021, 12.35 am
    No, of course not. It is very normal that it costs something more to bleed the clutch circuit.