Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: TPMS Battery Life  (Read 1906 times)

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1341
    • Topic Author

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    TPMS Battery Life
    on: May 30, 2021, 09.23 pm
    May 30, 2021, 09.23 pm
    So, I jumped on my Trophy yesterday, and several miles down the road the red TPMS warning light illuminated, and the front tire pressure showed: - -. The tire pressure was of course fine. I assume that the battery has died on the front sensor, but Iím a little surprised that it happened so soon. I bought my 2015 Trophy as a leftover model in late 2018, so it has had less than three years of service.

I am curious what kind of battery life the rest of you have had on your TPMS monitors.
    Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2609

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: TPMS Battery Life
    Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 10.00 pm
    May 30, 2021, 10.00 pm
    My batteries usually last about three years
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline ArkyInNY

• Trophy Member  ‐    20

Offline ArkyInNY

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Long Island, NY
    Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 11.19 pm
    May 30, 2021, 11.19 pm
    *Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp [+]
    So, I jumped on my Trophy yesterday, and several miles down the road the red TPMS warning light illuminated, and the front tire pressure showed: - -. The tire pressure was of course fine. I assume that the battery has died on the front sensor, but Iím a little surprised that it happened so soon. I bought my 2015 Trophy as a leftover model in late 2018, so it has had less than three years of service.

I am curious what kind of battery life the rest of you have had on your TPMS monitors.
    On my new (to me) 2013, the tires were old (2012!) so I had them replaced. First, though, on my initial ride home, the battery warning for the rear TPMS came on, so I asked the dealer to replace both front and rear TPMS while he was changing the tires. It seems they were not available in the US; anyway it took about 2-3 weeks for them to arrive at his shop. Then I picked up the bike, and on the way home the new rear TPMS showed low pressure alarm, although it was fine and was indicating properly.

To sum up, something is wrong with the design of Triumph's TPMS.
    IBA member # 70276
    Saddle Sore 1000

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4773

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 12.31 am
    May 31, 2021, 12.31 am
    My pressure sensors after being replaced under warranty at a year old lasted about 3 years.  The  yet to be determined 2nd set has been in there for over 2 years already, no warnings.  I replace batteries just before a tire change in a spare set to be installed with new tires to save some service costs.  If you can replace your own tires, Tigertool has a provision for you to program the new sensors in and save a lot of labor. Dealertool does not.  My preferred dealer offers free tire installation so I only pay for the sensor programming.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Mikestrophy

• Trophy Member  ‐    85

Offline Mikestrophy

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Melbourne
    Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 01.08 am
    May 31, 2021, 01.08 am
    My SE is almost six years old and has just clocked up 80000 kms. It still has the original TPMS batteries and the system has never had a hiccup. In fact last December it saved my backside by telling me very early of a slow leak in the rear tyre courtesy of a suicidal screw. It also still has the original main battery. I know I've been lucky but like main batteries, is it possible that the TPMS batteries can fail early, or last for years without any issues ?

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4773

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 01.56 pm
    May 31, 2021, 01.56 pm
    My main battery replaced under warranty due to the audio software issue lasted 5 years, seldom ever put on a charger unless I knew it would sit for more than 2-3 weeks.  Never any problem until it finally went south suddenly.  My second set of monitors are on it because I was getting a "low battery" warning on them and the original that was on one wheel was 6 years old.  I had the "low battery" warning for a long time when the weather was cold before I replaced it.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2609

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 03.01 pm
    May 31, 2021, 03.01 pm
    Well, in the lifespan of TPMS batteries, there are several factors to consider, ambient temperature and battery brands, type, etc. Others have more amperage than others and, of course, the latter will last longer.

Also say that when the TPMS are changed for new, it would be necessary to know exactly when they have been manufactured, it is possible that they have been manufactured for a year.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4773

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 03.56 pm
    May 31, 2021, 03.56 pm
    My replacement sets all show a manufacture date on the box, and I would think on the label itself, but I haven't looked at one to see.