Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Regular premium gasoline  (Read 1633 times)

Offline paulpaul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lacombe, AB
Re: Regular premium gasoline
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 10:57:50 pm »
Some will say I am wasting my money, but I put in USA Grade 91. The main reason is that it does not contain any ethanol. In western Canada, Co-op premium does not contain ethanol, if anybody is wondering.
Paul
1983 Honda V45
1993 Honda CBR 1000F
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 02:43:29 am »
How does that work.  We get at LEAST 10% ethanol in all our gasoline with the exception of a very limited area of the states that get straight gasoline.  And ethanol is the biggest waste of hot air to promote it there ever was.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline pohm66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TTSE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 08:32:23 am »
This is always a confusing topic as here in Oz our Premium is 98RON and lowest is 91.

You'd think that RON would be an internationally recognised measurement just like gallons  :084: :016:
Paul
Currently 2014 Pacific Blue TTSE & 1994 Speed Triple
Previous Trumpy's
   95 Speed Triple
   69 Trophy Custom in rigid frame (built not bought)

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 12:38:46 pm »
*Originally Posted by pohm66 [+]
This is always a confusing topic as here in Oz our Premium is 98RON and lowest is 91.

You'd think that RON would be an internationally recognised measurement just like gallons  :084: :016:

Yeah, you would think that.  Only the USA and parts of Canada still use the old (R+M)/2 or ACK method.  Confuses the crap out of international discussions.

This is one standard that I wouldn't hesitate to change.

Here in Virginia we fortunately have the option at a lot of the chain stores to pump ethanol-free gas at a regular or mid-grade octane level.  My local Wawa store has ethanol-free regular for generally 40c higher than the 10% spiked regular.  I've used both and frankly I haven't noticed any difference. 

Only when the forecast calls for extended 90 deg+ days will I occasionally use mid-grade but otherwise it is 10% regular as designed and tuned by Triumph.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:43:46 pm by tdragger »
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

Offline Merritt64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Calgary
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 04:41:08 pm »
Shell Gold (premium) here in Canada is ethanol free as well.

Online STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 01:42:00 am »
Theoretically, the ethanol-free should give you a little better mileage since it has a higher BTU content per gallon.

I believe premium may be ethanol-free ( year round ) and mid-grade has less ethanol than regular since mid-grade is blended at the pump with Regular & Premium.

In cold climates during the winter, all gas is ethanol-free.  That's one reason why on the pumps in Michigan it says : "May contain up to 10% ethanol".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:47:48 am by STJIM »
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline AZRider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Surprise
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 07:04:42 am »
I started this thread and have been following it daily as it interests me.  It's been a confusing mystery to unfold with international aspects I never thought of.  I thank all who have joined in to share their experiences.  I have put I have changed to regular but only put in one half of a tankful so far so I don't have enough information to share with you all yet but will soon.  So far, the bike has performed the same as with premium but I'm kind of running a  mid blend just by filling up at half tank with regular.  A couple of people have said their bikes did not run well on regular.  Soon, I'll know how my bike runs in triple digits with regular gas as soon I'll fill the tank again and triple temps are due this weekend I believe.  Thanks again.  For those who post, thanks as we all learn from each other's experiences.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 02:43:04 pm »
I've never used anything other than regular unleaded (87 US rating), never had any issues.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch