Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Brake Bleeding Questions  (Read 1286 times)

• Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: North East
    Brake Bleeding Questions
    on: May 31, 2021, 05.07 pm
    May 31, 2021, 05.07 pm
    Hello All,

Just finishing up the 10K service and I am having issues with bleeding the brakes.

I fully flushed all fluid and then ran the ABS test/flush with the Dealer Tool. Here are my issues:

1. At no time did I see "Bleeding System" on the screen during the test.

2. I did not see "ABS System Bleed Complete" when I was done.

3. I did feel the pulse during the test.

4. Dealer tool is properly registered and worked fine for throttle body sync.

5. During repeated attempts at bleeding the ABS, I did not always feel a pulse. Only sometimes.

6. Took bike for a ride. ABS worked fine using the rear brake. Wet roads prevented me from having the courage to try front brake only.

Any thoughts as to why no read out on the screen? Manual says it should display those words. Also, why no pulse every time I activate the ABS via the Dealer Tool?

No codes showing before the test. There never were any codes prior.

Thanks for any input. Kind of frustrated.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Brake Bleeding Questions
    Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 05.13 pm
    May 31, 2021, 05.13 pm
    Those questions are probably best aimed at the DealerTool guys :

E Mail : support@dealertool.co.uk

It's a Public Holiday in the UK today , so expect them to take a day or two to answer.

Cheers  :821:

• Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 05.15 pm
    May 31, 2021, 05.15 pm
    OK....Thank you Mr. C.

• Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Fatherof2

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2021, 02.12 pm
    Jun 03, 2021, 02.12 pm
    For future references and in case anyone ever has the same questions, here is the response form Dealer Tool:

The trophy abs system is a little different to the others and as such does not respond in the same way so the messages are not displayed.
    The function simply pulses the valves to allow fluid through so as long as you can see that they are pulsing then that's fine....the system also has internal timers so you cant bleed too often...so sometimes the valve operation is prevented....apologies on this model we don't report this so well...but nevertheless the process works running through a few times.
    Kind regards
    DT

• Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro  ‐    345

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2021, 01.23 am
    Jun 06, 2021, 01.23 am
    I question WHY the service software is necessary to bleed the brakes.

Please don't tell me it's required to "open" the ABS valve.

I tried bleeding the front & rear brakes w/o the bike running and it seemed to work just fine - plenty of flow by applying vacuum to the bleeder screws.  Added plenty of fluid to the front & rear MC's to flush out the old fluid, etc.  Nice firm front brake lever and rear brake pedal after I finished, just like before I started the job.

Other makes of bikes with ABS brakes don't require any special procedure.  I wonder why Triumph says it's necessary ?
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014 ; SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2609

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2021, 02.03 am
    Jun 06, 2021, 02.03 am
    Well, there are times when you don't pay attention to what the manufacturer says.

Remember that each rider knows the behavior of his motorcycle well and as such he must do things as you think is best for your motorcycle and yourself.

For example, there are things that the service manual says or advises that are not really accurate. Also, I have found many flaws in the service manual.

It also says, for example, that to remove the cylinder head (valve head) the entire engine has to be removed. It is not true, I have removed and replaced the cylinder head (valve head) without having to remove the engine.

However, just once, I did the ABS bleeding, I certainly don't see that it helps, it stays the same as if you don't do the ABS bleeding. Therefore, for me it is enough to just bleed the front and rear brakes.

Another very different thing is if you have problems with the ABS, but in my humble opinion, it is that if that function works correctly. Better not touch it.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro  ‐    345

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2021, 02.32 am
    Jun 06, 2021, 02.32 am
    I know that there are some cars that require the ABS valve to be opened ( using software ) so the brakes can be bled - in other words if you don't open the ABS valve on these cars, there won't be any flow out of the bleeders when a vacuum is applied to an open bleeder.

But this isn't what happens on the TTSE.  That's why I'm questioning WHY Triumph says the ABS valve must be opened using service software to bleed the brakes.
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014 ; SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2609

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2021, 02.53 am
    Jun 06, 2021, 02.53 am
    As I said before. There are times when I don't believe what the manufacturer says. something else is what he can advise.

What I usually do is bleed front and rear brakes and then I go out to check.

I take off-road roads and brake sharply to make the ABS jump and if it responds as it should, for me I consider it valid, if it agrees that the road is wet Better than better.

The brake fluid or fluid passes through the ABS modulator. So if I was supposed to bleed the front and rear brake combined, I shouldn't have to bypass the ABS modulator. Unless you noticed something wrong with the ABS system or the ABS light stayed on.

Just this morning I was working on the ABS system in the Trophy and I discovered some things that I did not know.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.