Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Idle issues after tuneup  (Read 1651 times)

• Offline THRASHED

• Trophy Member  ‐    62
    • Topic Author

Offline THRASHED

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: San Dimas
    Re: Idle issues after tuneup
    Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2021, 11.20 pm
    Nov 13, 2021, 11.20 pm
    Back with more issues.  I finally got around to tearing everything down again and doing the Cam Phase Timing.  The bike starts right up and sounds great.  Trying to do the Throttle Adaption process.  Problem is, as soon as the engine gets close to warm enough for the fan to come on, it stalls.  I have a question about the throttle arm assembly.  Between throttle bodies two and three there is a screw that seems like it would be a mechanical idle adjustment.  Is that what it is?  If so, is it tighten to increase, loosen to decrease?  I'm getting the point where I'm ready to load the bike up on a trailer and take it to the shop for this final part, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.  BTW, I did to a full leak test both with hand over each throttle body, then with carb cleaner sprayed around the assembly after I installed the air box.  Also, I have tried the adaption process both with the air box installed and off the bike.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9767

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2021, 08.03 am
    Nov 14, 2021, 08.03 am
    Note : I haven't carried out this process myself, and another Member may be able to provide more details.
    Meanwhile, the following information is taken from the Service Manual ( Page 10.139 ) :

The adjusters operate on the outer cylinders only ( cylinders 1 & 3 ).
    The centre throttle ( Cylinder 2 ) adjustment is fixed, this being controlled
    by the throttle control motor. Note that the centre reading may alter slightly
    as the two outer cylinders are adjusted.

DO NOT attempt to adjust the throttle stop screws, located below the fuel rail.
    The stop screws are set at the factory during manufacture, and must not be adjusted.

( Note that both Adjusters are T20 Torx, with the one on the left in the above image
    covered by a Blanking Plug which is T30 Torx - remove to access the adjuster ).

Additionally with regards to the Adaption process, it should be performed with everything connected,
    but NOT an exhaust extraction system, so do this in a well ventilated area, or outdoors.

Hope this helps  :028:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2609

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2021, 02.17 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 02.17 pm
    I don't know how other members proceed to do the throttle position adjustment and throttle balance adjustment.

I will tell how I do it:

For both settings you need the DealerTool or TigerTool tools. Although the latter I have not seen that it has the option of throttle adjustment.

The first thing I do is with the ignition switch (engine stopped) is to check the throttle setting. Yes it is correct. Step to check the throttle balance adjustment, if the throttle adjustment is not correct, proceed to its adjustment as indicated in the workshop manual.

In the photo below I have marked the two adjusting screws of the throttle sensor:

As can be seen in the following photo, the throttle sensor adjustment is correct. So I went on to check the throttle balance setting.

As seen in the next two photos, the throttle balance adjustment is perfect!

I have also used the TigerTool tool so that I can see the status of the throttle balance setting:

In the event that it is necessary to adjust the balance of the throttles. We proceed as I do:

Tools to use:

Now we go to its adjustment, so to the bull !!!

As Coconut has told you, these are the two screws you will need to touch to make the adjustment:

So you must remove the blind screw to be able to access with the 3mm allen key the screw that is inside:

Once the blind plug (screw) is removed, you can now insert the 3 mm Allen key:

Now you must put the engine into operation, computer ready with the DealerTool or TigerTool tools and turn the inner screw to the left or right, at the same time, observe the computer screen and see if the adjustment improves or not. I stop at the point that I see is more favorable and then turn the screw on the right that is next to cylinder number three. Remember that cylinder number three is the one next to the timing chain. Then it is to go playing with the two screws. You must be patient and not turn the screws like crazy, if not little by little and from one screw to another. Patience, which is achieved by leaving the balance setting perfectly.

I know that Coconut (because of the gases), has mentioned making this adjustment in an open place, if it is true, but it is also true that this type of adjustment must be done in places where there is no air or dust, since dust and it would be detrimental.

I would also recommend unplugging the fuse for both headlights, as excess heat from the bulbs could burn out the headlight optics.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Online STJIM

• Trophy Pro  ‐    345

Online STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2021, 02.52 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 02.52 pm
    It gets a little tricky because as the adjustment(s) are made and the idle speed changes, the computer will adjust the idle speed up or down to keep the idle speed set proper.   Like Digital said : make small adjustments and have some patience.

As I posted awhile back,  I used an old VW style flowmeter to measure the actual flow and make the adjustments.  The software seemed to make the adjustment process more complicated as it should ( IMO ) because the computer is constantly adjusting idle speed as the adjustment for each cylinder is being made.

When I finished, the software ( Tiger Tool ) said I was "balanced" and matched within 1 KPa.  Two cylinders were the same and one was 1 KPa different - good enough for government work.

I also think it's a good idea before the adjustment is made to check for leaks by placing a palm over each throttle body opening  ( with the engine running of course )  one at a time.  You should feel a nice vacuum at each and the motor should stall if you keep you palm on each throttle body opening too long.  If you can't feel a nice vacuum and the engine keeps running with your palm occluding a throttle body opening,  then there is an air leak at that cylinder.
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014 ; SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline THRASHED

• Trophy Member  ‐    62
    • Topic Author

Offline THRASHED

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: San Dimas
    Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2021, 03.11 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 03.11 pm
    As always, thanks for the help.  The issue I have is that I cannot find an "Adjust" area on my Dealer Tool.  It shows the Throttle Balance and that show "balanced".  I agree that there is a good chance that this is a Throttle Position issue, but the adjustment part is either missing, or I'm missing it. 

• Online STJIM

• Trophy Pro  ‐    345

Online STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2021, 03.22 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 03.22 pm
    If the Tool shows "Balanced" then no adjustment is necessary.  I know that's not very helpful.

When you re-installed the gas tank,  did you make sure the fuel line had a nice wide bend and wasn't almost kinked ?

The first time I re-installed my gas tank, I think I may have had a similar problem with the bike stalling after warming up because the fuel line was kinked.    When the bike warmed up, so did the fuel line and that allowed the fuel line to kink even more and the bike stalled.  After I de-kinked the fuel line, the problem cleared.

I don't like the 180 degree bend the fuel line has to make when installed.   I'm planning on making up a 180 degree bend using brass fittings and installing that some day to replaced the bend in the fuel line.  But that would require two additional crimp fittings that potentially could leak - but I think it would be an improvement.
    Last Edit: Nov 14, 2021, 03.35 pm by STJIM
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014 ; SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2609

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2021, 09.28 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 09.28 pm
    You should look for the DTC error codes, which will help you know if a connector may have been left to connect. Clear DTC error codes.

A throttle sensor adjustment may also be required (first photo on this page).

It is possible that, when the fans start, the battery voltage drops and if the sensor is not adjusted correctly within the limits indicated by the manufacturer, the engine stalls, since the revolutions drop somewhat. When this happens, when stopping, for example, at a traffic light, etc. The engine stalls, unless you keep the throttle at high revs.

You can also test if when the fans are going to jump, keep the throttle at around 1500-2000 revs. This way you will know if the motor stops or continues to run.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9767

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2021, 08.56 am
    Nov 15, 2021, 08.56 am
    Also check that the Fans are both in good working order and not seized up.

Check to see if the fan blades can be rotated by hand - If either are seized this may
    cause the fuse to blow, but it is coinceivable that a seized fan might also draw enough
    additional current to affect the adaption process, without blowing the fuse,  and cause
    the engine to stall at the point that they ( try to ) kick in.  :084:

Cheers  :821:

tweedy-bunch