Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Stall/shutoff issue, no DTCs!?!?!  (Read 5699 times)

• Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member  ‐    46
    • Topic Author

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lubsy, MD
    Stall/shutoff issue, no DTCs!?!?!
    on: Jun 03, 2021, 01.33 am
    Jun 03, 2021, 01.33 am
    I've been having an issue where the engine dies on the first ride of the day. Initially, I chocked it up to me not using enough finesse with the clutch and throttle given that the hydraulic fluid is still cold and a bit different from warm. This issue, I had previously assumed, was affected by heat which made sense as it would go away after I would ride it for maybe a minute. I have experienced this issue 4 times before this morning. Yesterday as I was leaving work the engine shut off while underpower, in first, and in a turn! Again, after I had been running the bike for a minute or so the issue did not return until this morning where the increased aggressive nature of the issue made me think twice about riding to work.

So far, the bike has started after every stall but this morning I had experienced this issue several times in a row which gave me an idea: I'll rev it a little to see what it does. What I saw was a bit troubling; decreased throttle response. After I got the engine started, following the second stall/shutoff, I revved the engine with three twists with the bike in 1st gear. The first twist took RPMs to approximately 4k, the second to approximately 2-2.5 k, the third barely above idle before the engine stalled/shutoff upon releasing the throttle. I repeated the procedure again in neutral where I received similar results except the engine stalled/shutdown during my third attempt. I fired the bike back up and carefully rode it back to my house. Along the way, I continued to intermittently rev the engine both in gear and in neutral as well as both in motion and stationary before parking the bike in my garage. The engine did not stop running until I commanded it to.

I checked for DTCs about an hour ago and all it read was "P000". My initial assumption was that the throttle position sensor is going, or that the throttle bodies have backed off but with no codes and no dummy lights I'm not sure where to begin . I'd love to hear your input before I tear into this beast once more! A labor of love, but a labor nonetheless! Lol  :148:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9752

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Stall/shutoff issue, no DTCs!?!?!
    Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2021, 06.20 am
    Jun 03, 2021, 06.20 am
    It's so difficult to try and diagnose problems remotely, but from the information provided,
    the first thing I would do is run the engine adaption procedure ...

From COLD, start the engine but DO NOT touch the throttle,
    and don't touch it throughout the complete process.

Allow the engine to idle until the cooling fans kick in.

Leave the engine to idle for at least another 12 minutes.

Turn the engine off - job done.

This process can reset a few things, and may help.

If it doesn't help check for correct fitting of the Throttle Body
    transition pieces - they can be fitted incorrectly and an air leak
    at this location might be the cause of your problem.

I would also recommend the use of “DealerTool” - an after market device
    that can be connected to the OBD diagnostics connector to provide
    information such as the Throttle Position Sensor readings that may
    give an indication of where the problem lies, but obviously no guarantees.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jun 03, 2021, 07.13 am by Coconut

• Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member  ‐    46
    • Topic Author

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2021, 02.57 pm
    Jun 05, 2021, 02.57 pm
    So, I ran through that procedure you described on Thursday. Due to inclement weather, I didn't get around to trying to ride or until today. Lol, now it shuts off the moment the transmission is put in gear. Aaaaaahhhhh! So, I'm going to pull the bike apart and poke around. The clutch isn't adjustable, right? I that's not what's going on but it piqued my curiosity as I was pushing the thing back into my garage.

This Makes me wish I had a bore scope so I didn't have to pull the skin off. Time to update the Christmas wish list lol.

• Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member  ‐    46
    • Topic Author

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2021, 03.33 pm
    Jun 05, 2021, 03.33 pm
    Also, STILL no DTCs posted other than "P0000".

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9752

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2021, 04.03 pm
    Jun 05, 2021, 04.03 pm
    The Clutch is not adjustable.

The safety interlock circuit will cause the engine to stop,
    if a Gear is engaged with the Side Stand down -
    so I’d check that switch first  :169:

Cheers  :821:

• Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member  ‐    46
    • Topic Author

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2021, 04.49 pm
    Jun 05, 2021, 04.49 pm
    well, I have pulled the skin off and started the engine to check the throttle body seals and everything seems okay there. the connections between the throttle body, engine intake, and airbox appear to be as they should be. However, I think you and I have had the same thought regarding the side stand switch. I have started the bike both on the center stand and on the side stand and, both times regardless of first or second gear, the engine kept running when the transmission was taken out of neutral. Now, this doesn't explain why it ONLY happens at the beginning of a ride and never in the middle (even after the bike was shut down for 20-30 minutes) but it DOES highlight that the switch isn't doing its job. Now I need to troubleshoot the dang side stand witch too!?!?!?

• Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member  ‐    46
    • Topic Author

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2021, 10.38 pm
    Jun 05, 2021, 10.38 pm
    So I have ordered a diagnostic tool and will be waiting very impatiently for it in the mail. I couldn't find anything for sale that didn't look sketchy on this side of the Atlantic so, once again, I am waiting on stuff from the U.K. to arrive. Does anyone know of a way that I can remove the side stand switch from the motorcycle so I can check for continuity? I found the plug for the side stand switch and disconnected it. I tried testing the continuity of the switch but my multimeter is uber cheap and gave some weird readings so I decided to try and start it with it disconnected and what was supposed to happen came to pass (it shut off). It may be that there is something entirely else at play here giving me trouble. I guess I won't know until I get that tool.

Is there anything else worth looking at? Any Ideas?
    Last Edit: Jun 05, 2021, 11.01 pm by Flux_Capctr

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4752

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2021, 11.28 pm
    Jun 05, 2021, 11.28 pm
    You might download the free Tigertool.  It lacks very few functions that the Dealertool has and has some that Dealertool doesn't.  Others here have had good things to say about it.  I have both, but haven't had the need to use either until the 40K service time.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies