Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Back on the Road with Farkles  (Read 449 times)

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
Back on the Road with Farkles
« on: June 03, 2021, 04:58:08 pm »
Finally finished up with the 20K mile checks, including adjusting the valve clearances and fabricating a new fuel line hose.

Also installed some LED H4 lamps and LED spots - no inspection to pass here in Michigan.  It was a job properly mounting
the spots, BTW.

Also mounted a big ( truck ) Garmin 7200 which accepts a Garmin GXM30 active ( puck ) XM antenna .

And installed a clutch banjo pressure switch that is wired in parallel with the OEM mechanical switch.  I don't want to be stranded by a failed mechanical switch.  Which brings up the question :  Has anyone tried push-starting a TTSE ?  Maybe that could be done even with a bad clutch switch ?

Notice the tray I fabbed holding the GXM30 XM antenna in the banjo switch pic, above the switch in the pic..

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 05:01:16 pm by STJIM »
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Back on the Road with Farkles
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 06:45:30 pm »
Carry a couple of short pieces of small gauge wire and locate the starter relay under the seat and never need to push start it.  Be absolutely sure it is NOT in gear before making the momentary contact to start it.  Yes I know about that from experience.  No harm, just a bit of a surprise.  The good news is when it lurches if it's in gear it will cause you to break the connection and kill the starter.  This method bypasses EVERY starter safety circuit on the Trophy so be very careful!
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 11:10:15 pm »
Good tip - nice to know !!   I have all the relays marked already, BTW.

So, that kinda proves a bump-start should work and a bump-start wouldn't require a removal of the seat & side cover to get at the relay.

Forgot to mention in my original post :  Also installed a RDL seat and a set of ceramic beads, and a LED dimmer to control the LED spotlights and a miniature switch to turn the low beam LED's On and OFF.   On the slab during the day light hours, I usually turn off the low beam LED's and just run the LED spots at about 1/2 intensity.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 12:14:36 am by STJIM »
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
1998 ST1100

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 03:17:28 pm »
BTW, I also installed several relays to control the headlights.  I just didn't like all the lamp current flowing thru the low & high beam switch.  The Trophy is the only modern motorcycle I know of that doesn't use relays to control the headlights.  The Trophy does have a headlight relay, but it's used to keep the headlights off until the engine is started.  After the engine starts, it then supplies all the lamp current to the low & high beam switch.

Installing the relays also made it easier for the miniature switch to controls the low beam lamp.

So now I have an up-to-date electrical system.
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
1998 ST1100

tweedy-bunch