Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: calsci screen what size to buy  (Read 4165 times)

Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro
  • ride safe (Harley, Dylan, Milo.)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: grimsby
calsci screen what size to buy
« on: September 13, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »
Hey All

I am 5ft 8in what size cal sci to buy :002:
trophy4me (Andy)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: calsci screen what size to buy
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:03:22 AM »
I was looking at getting one. If I did I would buy the tallest.

I am 5' 10'
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline NeXTer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE(L) 13
  • City / Town: Link÷ping
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
I got the medium size via Heroblobs and I'm 184 cm with the seat in the low position.

Not really satisfied with either the fit, finish nor performance to be honest.

The screen seems to be too flat which strains the windscreen arms and causes them to freeze up completely at motorway speeds.

The edges are fairly rough and the general finish is rather amateurish. It is lightyears from the finish of the Trophy parts. And it scratches if you look at it wrong.

The performance is relatively good up to about 70-80 km/h, but going faster results in buffeting and noise from the wind passing through the hole (at least I think that's the source). Motorway speeds are almost unbearable.

To be fair to them, the screen doesn't perform any worse than the Triumph touring screen, and the deflected airstream clears the top of the lid better.

I'm going to see if I can get a test ride on a bike with the stock screen (mine came with the touring screen mounted) and see if that works any better...

On my Honda Deauville with the stock screen in the lowest position I have an almost silent ride with my C3 lid (and plugs), and I'm desperately trying to replicate that on the Trophy before my tinnitus becomes much worse...

From my findings so far I think the best performance can be had with a really short screen that deflects the airstream to the sides and straight back over the top instead of deflecting it upwards. The lid seems to work best in a completely undisturbed airstream...

Maybe the shortest Calsci screen would have worked, but I'm not going to get one from them due to the poor workmanship, unless I can't find anything better out there.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »
Ouch! That doesn't sound good. Maybe I should look at the Triumph offering. I did use it on the demo bike and could happily have my flip top up at 90mph!
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 07:34:14 PM »
Just to confuse things, a couple of weeks ago I bought the medium Calsci as I found I was getting a wet lap when it was raining also my tinnitus was bad as the bike seemed to me to be noisy with the standard screen, with the Calsci ive noticed it is a lot quieter ( im 5ft 7" on a good day ) and I have just rode in the rain for the first time and didn't get wet.

I havn't got a problem with the quality of the screen I didn't notice a problem with it, its too early to say about scratching, the fit is ok but on the vertical it didn't follow the curve of the brackets but is ok.

So I am happy with it and wouldn't go back to the standard screen.

It does actually show on the herobobs site how to measure the size screen you need.

Roger

Offline NeXTer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE(L) 13
  • City / Town: Link÷ping
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:58:40 PM »
It does indeed say how to measure it, which is why I got the medium. I also changed the seat height around to see if there was a difference, but I noticed no real change. Also with the variable screen it shouldn't really make much real difference.

One possible difference I can see is that by picking a taller screen I wouldn't need to raise it the 3-4 cm that I do now to get it into the ideal position, and that difference could maybe drop the airflow from the opening by the same amount and that could mean that it wouldn't rattle the lid as much.

On the other hand the moulding of the area behind the opening seems to funnel the airflow rather than dispersing it which suggests that it might not make any difference.

It would also mean that I wouldn't be able to drop the screen to better see the street in front of the bike or get more air when going slowly through a town on a hot summer day...

Aerodynamics sure is an interesting field, but it can get rather expensive putting different hypotheses to the test!

And it is all the more annoying since it is the one thing about the bike I can't quite get to terms with, everything else is just peachy.

Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro
  • ride safe (Harley, Dylan, Milo.)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: grimsby
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:10:18 AM »
Hi NeXTer

I see you purchased a medium calsci screen,What size are you ? :001:
trophy4me (Andy)

Offline Fireman73163