Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Replacement for my TTSE?  (Read 3730 times)

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
Replacement for my TTSE?
« on: June 11, 2021, 08:29:38 am »
I read with interest in this weeks MCN about a Benelli 1200GT, and it interested me.

The only negative was chain drive but I believe chains are much better now than when  I last had one. There appears to be a lot of tech on it inthe form of a 15” TFT screen along with many nice touches, backlit controls, front and rear cameras all for £11,000 in China.

Made me think a flight to Beijing, ride it home,  dream dream dream…

Anyway I’d like to try one.
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
Re: Replacement for my TTSE?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 10:06:40 am »
Yes, I've been watching the Benelli and the CF Moto "versions" for quite some time now.

From what I've read, with a pinch of salt, both have been on trial with various PRC Police forces for quite a while (read into that what you will) but they have not been available to journo's etc. They appear to be very capable and attractive for the market sector we are in and I have no doubt they will be very competitive price wise. But I have to say, apart from the electronics / smartphoneish part of the package, things haven't moved on a lot. Meaning they still look and specs read like the "sporty" tourers from Triumph, BMW and Honda that were on the market almost 10 years ago.

It's not a wonderful analogy I know but I started asking myself, would I be looking at buying a new smartphone that is slightly larger, a little heavier, with similar battery performance, improved memory capacity, a higher resolution touch screen (that will still break when I drop it) than the old Samsumg S5 I'm still using everyday  :084:

The only reason I've even looked at these is in consideration of what to replace the TTSE with when I decide to replace mine, it may no longer be supported, the availability of lower mileage used models will be in dwindling supply and we have to turn to breakers for parts. Interestingly I suspect with the low value of what would be considered an average mileage model, being written off by insurance at the slightest scrape, there are rich pickings for salvage companies.

After looking at what else is on the market again and again only seeing a blue and white fog, I give myself a reality check and go back out to the garage where the rustiest Triumph (among several) is the TTSE and carry on working on tidying up a T312 that looks like it could go on forever  :027:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:08:45 am by sin_tiger »

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 10:34:36 pm »
Been almost a year now since I highlighted the CF Moto 1200 as a nice replacement.  Some good videos on You tube especially the one where the trick rider really puts the bike through the mill in front of the police......

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,10741.msg122035.html#msg122035

Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 10:36:55 pm »
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lubsy, MD
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 02:42:37 am »
I was just pondering this the last couple days. The closest thing I have come across is the BMW R1250RT which makes sense given that the Trophy was meant to compete against it in the first place. I also looked at the Kawasaki Concours 14 and the FJR1300. The Kawasaki is a dinosaur! The only thing up to date on the thing is its ABS, nothing else about the bike (electronics-wise) has been impressive sine the late nineties. The FJR seemed like an excellent candidate until I realized I'd be spending a fortune keeping gas in the thing. It only gets 36 mpg and that's WITHOUT me operating the throttle!  :745:

If anything happened to my Trophy, I'd probably start looking at BMWs. This bike is a peach!

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:30:07 am »
It also has no audio system.  The R bike is it in this category, and it is way out of my price range anyway, even if I did (and I don't) want to get rid of the Trophy.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:05:33 am »
I have seen a few bits of information on the Benelli, but would still like shaft drive, even though chains have come along leaps and bounds over the years. About 9 years ago, Morini brought out a touring machine, which looked okay, but as a colleague said, "what happens when they go bust"? Which they did a year or so later. With modern design and production methods it is far easier to get a completely new motorcycle up and running (albeit, expensive). If it flops and the company go out of business, you are left high and dry.
I do wonder what my next machine will be, but am pretty sure it won't be Italian or German, which doesn't leave much choice for what I want in a motorcycle.

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:07:54 pm »
Looks like many of us are in the same quandary.

So far my 76,000 mile 2016 bike is OK but I can't keep from wondering how long for, after all, you can't "Polish a Turd!".
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

tweedy-bunch