Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Very dirty final drive oil  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Very dirty final drive oil
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 02:22:18 pm »
My Final Drive Oil was changed at the first Inspection Service at 499 Miles, as required.

I changed it again today after a further 10,900 miles. 

During the process the Trophy was on the Centre Stand - as called for in the Service Manual.

I haven't yet measured how much drained out, but I spun the wheel a few times
and bounced the back end up and down a few times until all the drips had stopped.
Edited to add : 220 ml was the quantity drained out  !

There was a minute amount of very fine particles on the Magnetic drain plug
that don't give me any concern, and this is what the drained Oil looked like :

I expected to refill with slightly LESS than the quoted capacity of 0.17 Litres,
as I didn't expect to drain every last drop of the old oil out,
I used a 100ml graduated syringe to carefully measure how much went in,
until it came level with the bottom of the Fill hole threads.

Surprisingly it took 0.23 Litres - i.e. 60ml ( 35% ) MORE than specified ! ?  :027:

I wonder if the information in the Service Manual is another publication error ?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 06:27:40 pm by Coconut »

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
  • City / Town: West Michigan
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 02:33:45 pm »
Interesting !

When filling FD's , I don't pay any attention to the amount specified in the manual.

I make sure the bike is fairly level and then just fill until the gear oil starts to run out the fill hole. And then reinsert the plug.  Sometimes I'll even squirt in a little extra.   Never have had any problem with any oil coming from the breather, if the bike has one.

The old gear oil looks like it's in pretty good condition.  But it's so easy and quick to change, I like to change it about once a year.  Why not  ? Can't hurt and maybe even helps.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 02:37:35 pm by STJIM »
IBA #35372
BBG  5-2014
SS3K 9-2020
2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
1998 ST1100

Offline Spanish Andy

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 04:26:00 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]

Surprisingly it took 0.23 Litres - i.e. 60ml ( 35% ) MORE than specified ! ?  :027:

I wonder if the information in the Service Manual is another publication error ?

Mine was about the same. From what's left in the 500ml bottle it was certainly over 200mil and less than 250 mil. Mine was dirtier than what I see in you picture, no metal particles that I saw, but drain plug was quite sludgy. 

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE - Blue
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2021, 04:42:37 pm »
When I performed my 500 mile service, 218ml is what it took to fill the rear diff to the plug level.  And that was with me pushing down slightly on the center stand to level the bike out and rotating the rear tire several times to get any air bubbles out from between the gears and whatnot.  No issues, no leaks, all seems happy.
Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch