Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Trophy on Scotlands Norh Coast 500  (Read 1489 times)

• Offline geoffyboy

• Trophy Member  ‐    53
    • Topic Author

Offline geoffyboy

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 silver TrophySE
    • City / Town: Moreton, Wirral
    Trophy on Scotlands Norh Coast 500
    on: Jun 17, 2021, 06.46 am
    Jun 17, 2021, 06.46 am
    Hi folks, I have waited a long time to ride the very popular NC500. Then, a couple of weeks ago, both Covid easements and good weather finally came into alignment, so I booked accommodation last minute and set off a few days later.  Here's a short video of my trip.

I would be interested to hear what other members who have ridden this route on the Trophy thought of the NC500 roads.

Cheers

Geoff  :001:
    Life isn't a dress rehearsal so enjoy it.

• Offline RedMerle   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    997

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE’s + Tiger 1200
    • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
    Re: Trophy on Scotlands Norh Coast 500
    Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2021, 07.15 am
    Jun 17, 2021, 07.15 am
    Unfortunately, I can’t watch the video:

Keeper of
    “The Cornish Trophy Sanctuary”
    🙄😁

• Offline geoffyboy

• Trophy Member  ‐    53
    • Topic Author

Offline geoffyboy

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 silver TrophySE
    • City / Town: Moreton, Wirral
    Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2021, 08.11 am
    Jun 17, 2021, 08.11 am
    Apologies RedMerle .....I had changed it to "Public" but it somehow reverted back to "Private".  :157:
    Should be ok now and thanks for letting me know.

Geoff
    Life isn't a dress rehearsal so enjoy it.

• Offline HPTCC1

• Trophy Member  ‐    87

Offline HPTCC1

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Melbourne
    Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2021, 11.17 am
    Jun 17, 2021, 11.17 am
    Great video. And you included signs showing the names of the towns. Very handy. I am really looking forward to doing this route in 2023 or maybe 2024. And I’m sure you promise the weather will be that good when I do it ? Lol.

• Offline RedMerle   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    997

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE’s + Tiger 1200
    • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
    Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2021, 11.28 am
    Jun 17, 2021, 11.28 am
    I’ll look forward to watching that later this evening  :028:
    Keeper of
    “The Cornish Trophy Sanctuary”
    🙄😁

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2021, 05.32 pm
    Jun 17, 2021, 05.32 pm
    Nice video, very well edited and also, the scenes taken slowly so that they can be appreciated well.

I think that driving on the left would be something copious for me.

Thanks for sharing the video.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline sin_tiger   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    518

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
    • City / Town: Maybole
    Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2021, 10.28 pm
    Jun 17, 2021, 10.28 pm
    *Originally Posted by digital [+]
    I think that driving on the left would be something copious for me.

How hard can it be if so many Brits manage to drive in Europe  :038:  You'd be fine after a few miles, if you can ride together with someone who is used to it for the first day or so, you will find the adjustment a little easier. The dangerous times are always after a stop or overnight, the brain seems to reset to default, be extra careful when pulling out of the first junction to remember which side of the road to be on. If there is traffic it is easier for the the mind and eye to fit yourself into that traffic flow, if the road is empty concentration is needed. A technique used by those who switch regularly is to place a prominent arrow in your line sight to indicate which side of the road to use.

Many of the roads in the rural areas of Scotland are "Single Track" which is a driving challenge in itself, sadly many Brits do not seem to have mastered the basic rules or understand the necessity of forward thinking which can lead to a lot of "misunderstandings". Planning way ahead is not always possible, so if you can't slower is best, you really do not want to be barreling into a passing place on a big bike, which might not be much longer than a van or have gravel build up from other vehicles. Hang back to give yourself the best chance, stopping and getting moving again on a tight bend with adverse camber is a challenge on any bike, leave one passing place between you and the vehicle in front both so that you can see ahead better and stop where you have complete control and confidence. Having to try to squeeze a big bike into a passing place behind a large motorhome that's suddenly had to stop for the forestry lorry that they driver didn't spot as they were too busy enjoying the scenery, is not the best position you want to put yourself in. Chances are if the driver missed that, they may not have spotted you behind either. Take bends as wide, yes technically on the right side, as you can to get the maximum view ahead, if you can spot another vehicle coming, they will have a better chance of seeing you and both can adjust speed and road position in plenty of time for a safe smooth pass. Slow down and enjoy the ride, it's not a race track regardless of what you might think seeing some "sports" car drivers negotiating it, after all it's what you endured all that motorway to enjoy in the first place, just one of the beautiful areas we are blessed with in Scotland.

It's a pity you weren't able to enjoy the food at the Applecross Inn, probably one of the best places in Europe to experience what top notch chefs can do with the freshest local sourced seafood and other produce, remember they have to grow and source locally as anything brought in is expensive and in bad weather may not even get there, eating it on the other side of the road with those views is an experience that will never leave you. The ride around Torridon is most definitely challenging with the views constantly flipping around very headland. Durness is unfortunately less well known for the memorial garden in tribute to John Lennon, as moving as anything you'll see at John O Groats.

Come back soon, there's plenty more to experience, you won't even have to go as far as Glasgow to experience some wonderful roads and scenery in the borders or Dumfries and Galloway. Late Autumn, either side of the school breaks, is a good time and often bright if cooler weather. Most of the rented motorhomes, often driven by those who have had no experience of piloting anything bigger than an Astra, will be safely tucked up in garages by then and hopefully have taken all their Sh1te home with them. The locals will have more time for you and be happy to see you in what can be a "Golden Period" to travel.

Don't get me started on the Islands, I'll be here all night.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2021, 10.39 pm
    Jun 17, 2021, 10.39 pm
    It has left me speechless!

You are absolutely right, the brain quickly adapts to any situation, but it is essential to have all five senses in a state of alert.

The brain must be at least 70% free of thoughts to be prepared for any risk situation.

For the rest, I would love to see those beautiful landscapes, those hotels in the shape of castles. etc etc.

Thanks for those good clarifications ...
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

tweedy-bunch