Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy on Scotlands Norh Coast 500  (Read 617 times)

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
Re: Trophy on Scotlands Norh Coast 500
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 06:24:47 pm »
I did the NC500 last year but it was nothing special to me.  The reason being I've covered all those roads many times including before the NC500 branding was created. In fact,  it's a shame now because what used to be quiet peaceful roads are now full of bloody tourists  :153:

I'm on Tyneside so Scotland is only an hour from here, and the pretty bits only three hours.  I don't think I would ever do the NC500 again...I know plenty of nearby roads that are still quiet.... and empty
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Online 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 06:28:40 pm »
I agree with Novocastrian. Years ago, the Scottish highlands were pretty much deserted, camp sites were available and accommodation was reasonable. I did my own version in 1980 and barely saw a soul.
Fast forward to the present day and it can be packed with bikes, cars, caravans and motorhomes, the latter two who feel warning signs do not apply to them.
If you require hotels it is best to plan and book.
Last did "my own version" of the NC500 in 2018 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 11:12:39 pm »
Sadly I have to agree with the last two posts. While I'm happy to see visitors enjoying the country, so many are either oblivious to the impact of thoughtless and selfish behavior has on the environment, the local community and other visitors. Too often I see passing places used as ad hoc picnic spots, layby's as no cost camp grounds and waste / effluent disposal points.

It's got to the point where a significant number of business's who had signed up to tourist initiatives in the highlands and islands are making their feelings known by withdrawing their support and it has become a serious local political issue. Many are suffering increased private and business rates as the councils struggle to keep up with increased demand on the facilities and maintenance, cheap motorhome holidays have a cost to the local services that is often not appreciated by those taking advantage of the benefits. Personally I do not consider parking a motorhome or caravan up at a local beauty spot as "Wild Camping"  :023:

Please don't let the aforesaid dissuade you from visiting and enjoying the many sights and attractions we are blessed with. Be mindful of peak periods and try to avoid them, take a little extra time to plan your trip as there are plenty of enjoyable routes that aren't as well publicised as the "Named" routes. Hop on a ferry for a completely different experience around the islands or as a short cut to less travelled area, cost equivalent regulations have made them much more economical than in the past. Engage with the locals, you may be surprised what a difference exchanging simple pleasantries with the people behind the counter will make  :018: Above all ride safe, you came to enjoy yourself just as much as the motorhome around the next blind bend  :038:

tweedy-bunch