Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Scala Q3-multiset  (Read 4656 times)

Offline mototux

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
Scala Q3-multiset
« on: September 14, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
So, I finally replaced my old Scala Cardo Teamset, that didn't work with the TT built-in audio (reason: no stereo A2DP - this had been mentioned numerous times on the forum here).

My wishlist:
- listen to music through my headset
- connect my mobile-phone (iPhone 5) to the TT audio and to my headset
- accept calls (no need to make them, for when I'm riding, I usually don't call anyone and if an emergency happens, then I can stop the ride for 5 min...)
- intercom with my pillion

My wife wanted to listen to some music as well, which is why we settled for the Scala Q3-multiset. Haven't seen anyone reporting on this one on the forum, so here comes a little overview.

There was no need to pair the two Q3 as the multiset came delivered with both devices paired on channel A, already. My first step was thus to pair the iPhone 5 with bluetooth as device 2 to the TT. This worked flawlessly and once the PIN-code was inserted, the TT accepted my phone just fine. Listening my playlist via bluetooth through the TT-speakers was just a matter of choosing the correct audio-input (by selecting the "M" button on the bike until "ipod" appeared). It was also no problem connecting via USB in the left-hand cockpit-compartment and getting the output on the TT-speakers.

Next I connected my Q3 to the Trophy, which was quite a hassle. It went from: device not recognized (several times) to recognized but no output on my headphones  :233: All I can say, be patient and disconnect, reconnect as device 1 (headphones) as often as it takes. After about 5 attempts I was finally there and could listen to some music. Next I tried incoming phone-calls, which also worked immediately. So I decided to give it a go in "real-life" today, taking a 300km ride with my wife as a pillion. Here is what happened in a nutshell:

On the first 1km, I was listening to music from my iPhone, which was connected through the USB. Then I tried to share the music with my wife by pressing the required button for 2s. The output was much too loud for wife, which is why she interrupted immediately. From there on, we could only talk to each other (not that we don't like that), but it seemed that the connection would simply never drop! No way to return to the music, but this may also be because I touched one of the side-buttons most likely for too long and - oh well   :173:  What really got me angry was the fact that I almost couldn't understand my wife - she was talking the same language, though  :745: On the other hand she said that she could hear me quite all right  :087:

After taking a break and turning the whole thing off and back on, my headset suddenly paired well with the TT and I was able to listen to the music, share it with wife, who simply reduced the volume to make it more bearable - not the music, but the loudness  :745:  Talking resp. listening was good on my end - but the same catastrophy as on my headset before on her end now  :148:

Coming home, we figured out a few more things:
- rider and pillion can only communicate if the TT audio-system is turned on
- changing the volume on the TT changes the volume on my headset, regardless of the audio-input (USB, bluetooth, FM-radio) but doesn't change the volume on the pillion's headset
- sharing the music gets interrupted through intercom (good), but once the talk on the intercom has finished, the sharing is not being resumed automatically (bad). If you want to do so again, you have to initiate the sharing-process once more (by pressing one of the buttons on the back of your Q3 for 2s).
- volume of the Q3 can be handled individually by using the respective volume controls on the device itself

What I still need to find out:
- according to the cardo manual, it should be possible to voice-dial by pressing the two buttons on the side of the Q3. haven't tried this one, yet, as i probably will never use it anyways. But it would be nice to know if it works. No idea if "Siri" will accept my voice, though - she can be really picky even when not riding at 120km/h  :008:
- as described above, the voice connection was bad on either headset on each half of the trip. Couldn't figure out why or what the logic was. I assume, though, that it was because of improper handling on my side. I can give an update once I will take wife for another ride

The good:
- pairing with the TT audio worked, but you need to be patient and persistent (stubborn)  :017:
- all music inputs could be handled from the TT audio-system and forwarded to the headset
- sharing between rider and pillion is possible
- accepting phone calls should work (didn't test it during today's ride, though - nobody wanted to call me  :027: )
- no music-interruptions what-so-ever during the full ride (except because of my own mistake as described above)

The bad:
- pairing between main-headset and TT audio may require several attempts
- voice activation did not always work on my (main) headset
- intercom talks were sometimes bearly audible

The ugly:
- it simply takes too much time to elaborate all the bells and whistles of both, the TT audio and the scala Q3 and have them working together seamlessly. Hellooo - we live in the 21st century and it almost takes an engineer to get these devices work together  :125:

Ooops - I realize I've been much longer than anticipated. All right, so I will quit here - for now  :017:

Safe roads to everyone...
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Scala Q3-multiset
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 01:04:17 AM »
Thanks for the write up. Your experiences mirror others that have been documented before on the forum. Including mine.  I went with the Scala because it is backward compatible with previous generations but overall  I wish that I had not gone with the Scala.  What about you?
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline mototux

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
... but overall  I wish that I had not gone with the Scala.  What about you?

Not quite at this stage, yet! Frankly, I believe that some of yesterday's issues have also been due to my inadvertence. That's why I will give it another chance. However, what is bothersome is the fact that there have also been problems that clearly didn't come from any manipulation-errors (for example that one way I barely couldn't understand wife and on the way back it was the other way around). Not sure yet, though, if this is a "scala" problem or a TT problem? I tend to believe that both have their share in this mess. I'm not a technical expert, but I would consider myself also far from a technical-illiterate  :084:

One of the reasons I chose the Q3 was the sharing of music between rider and pillion. Not sure if any other headset is offering this. Then again, from my reading in the forum I believe that other manufacturers have also their issues with the TT audio-system?

Have you been able to solve all of your headset-issues? If so, what was the magic you applied?
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:58:14 AM »
I still have horrible communication problems with the pillion.  Can't seem to clear it up.  First my daughter (my usual passenger) and I can only understand about 50% of what is said. Second the connection comes and goes at random.  When we were both using the Q2 the connection and clarity was excellent.  The Q3 is a piece of ##%#%%^# and that is putting it nicely.  I've called Cardo twice and they have been of no help whatsoever. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 06:24:43 AM »
Ah but is understanding 50% of what your daughter says down to the technology or the fact that she speaks 'yoof'??  :008:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline mototux

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 06:32:58 AM »
@w8d4it:  :005: that sure doesn't sound very comforting. I was actually blaming myself for a bad manipulation (should have read the manual better - so I thought). But from your comment it looks like I will be in for quite a bad ride  :173:

We had also been happy with the Q2, which is why we sticked to Scala in the first place. I won't be on the bike before next weekend, so I can not comment if there is any change. I will also try to turn VOX off - maybe this will have an influence to the better. But I guess you have tried all that, so I'm not really very optimistic  :087:

Anyways - thanks for your comments.

@cropbiker: trust me - if your daughter wants you to be understood, you will. Daughters have certain ways to put it  :745:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
I think I know what you mean.

In a normal conversation I probably understand about 2 words in 3!

But they seem to be able to ask for sums of money in perfect queens English without any confusion!

Go figure!
 :005: :005:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline mototux

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
I think I know what you mean.

In a normal conversation I probably understand about 2 words in 3!

But they seem to be able to ask for sums of money in perfect queens English without any confusion!

Go figure!
 :005: :005:

... and that's when you realize that at the end of your money, there's still so much month left  :138: :745:  :745: