Out and About > Ride Reports and Touring

Riding in the Heart Land

(1/2) > >>

2slowTrophy:
Last week on Thursday I needed to get out and ride.

Where to go was the question every place was hot Dallas was running in the mid 90s with the feel like temperature in the low 100s.

I packed on Friday after watching the weather channel and seeing that the midsection of the country all the way up to South Dakota looks like moderate temperatures and almost no rain the heat wave that had hit the northwest coast Seattle and Portland was rolling into North Dakota and part of South Dakota so I was going to stay out of there.

I had been in Broken Bow  Nebraska a few years back when the eclipse had happened and it was a complete eclipse there, at that time I just stayed  to see the eclipse and rode on to Rapid City South Dakota, an Iron Butt thing.

This time I was going to spend a little more time there.
The ride to Broken Bow was going to be the longest a little over 730 miles.

Saturday morning I left at 5am.
The ride was going well I had to take the interstate highways for about half of the way and, we all know about that.

Once I was on the back roads the ride came alive, almost no traffic.
After that I stayed off the interstate highways if I could.

I got to Broke Bow around 3pm checked into the hotel and went to find a place to eat.
The next day I set out for Scottsbluff Nebraska I wanted to see Scotts Bluff National Monument.
It was around 98 degrees in Scottsbluff and going to find a place to eat in town was a job it was the 4th so more than a few places where closed.
With the heat my Trophy was going to try to overheat but I found a place to eat before any overheating of my Trophy or me.

It was the short day just about 250 miles.
Along the way I would stop at Historical markers.

The back roads have more history than the highways do not all of it good.

The next day I was on to Greensburg Kansas.
What I didnít know was I would be on a trail used by Western headed wagon trains

2slowTrophy:
The back roads did have a few other people on them almost 3 every 50 miles or so.

My last day was going to be the most remote roads I had yet to ride on.

The ride took me through the Panhandle of Oklahoma and then into the Panhandle of Texas.

The fuel range of the Trophy was put to the test a few times just nothing but open roads with a MP3 player rocking along.
Other than the day in Scottsbluff the temperatures stayed in the mid to upper 80ís.

I averaged 471 miles for the four days.

I think I need to pack again.

trophied:
Great trip!  :028:  The Twisteds need to get one going soon.

Saddle Tramp:
I hope you stayed at the historic Arrow Hotel downtown in Broken Bow. They have a great restaurant at that location as well.

Did you get the chance to visit the Nebraska State Forest?

digital:
  :046: I hope you enjoy that great trip, which from what I can see in the photos, must be fabulous, so be careful in Oklahoma ...  :008:  :821:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version