Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Splicing into Speakers  (Read 3046 times)

Online cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Splicing into Speakers
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:38:16 am »
Has anyone yet actually tried to access the wires for the speakers to splice in taps for a feed to intercom systems?

I am thinking of using the Autocom lead to take a feed to my Autocom intercom and not use the Bluetooth link which has occasional interference and every now and again I have to re-pair. Minor issues but annoying. A permanent hardwire will fix that. It is one of the few omissions on the Trophy Audio system, a proper audio out. They should certainly address that for the next 'evolution'!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Splicing into Speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:28:27 pm »
There Is a write up on here somewhere.  The wires are accessible from below the front binnacle but the wires are quite short.  There is a connector on each wires just before they dissapear into the tubes that are part of the speaker housings.  But I cannotfind out where to get the connectors from. It would then be easy to splice in making it possible to go back to speakers if needed.

I have bought a cable from starcom but haven't spliced it in yet.

Online cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:30:55 pm »
Yeah, I remember it being discussed somewhere but I couldn't find it so thought it was worth starting a new one. I guess on one of these wet windy winter weekends I should take the front apart as an experiment to try and track them down! :002:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:46:41 pm »
I found them all when I took the front to bits but I can get at the connectors without taking it to bits but does not give much room to work.  If we could fine connectors then you can unplug without taking all to bits and plug back in.  I have tried it!  But as I say the wires are not very long.I boblunt a starcom lead but this does not have a switch to allow the speakers to be turned on and off.  Also it has a Jack plug so I also bought a female to female adapter for my in ears but as I say not fitted yet.  The autocom one is more expensive but might be better (same company though I think)

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200
  • City / Town: Wolverhampton
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:51:34 pm »
Would this mod enable you to run conventional earphones via a 3.5mm jack plug? I love being able to control my ipod via the bike controller and keep it charged - but my Sena bluetooth speakers are a bit quiet.
Ideally i'd like to have a set of inner ear headphones that i can control the volume of and that can double as earplugs..

Online cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 03:22:51 pm »
To be honest, I am not sure. The Autocom lead has a small black box of electronics on it to step down the power that is output to the speakers to a level that does not blow the input circuit of the Autocom intercom box I have. The Autocom then has its own output circuit to their headset I have inserted into my helmet..

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 10:12:59 pm »
Hi all, twas bluepilot that done a write up on splicing into the speakers. I did it a few weeks ago, what I found was that the main loom has a 100mm ish cable's running of to each speaker, like you say there is not much room. I took both of the cables off, laid the Starcom cable on the floor and spliced the two cables on the ends of the cable and soldered them when they had cooled I insulated them and fitted them back in poking them up through the drain tube on the speaker housing before connecting to the speakers, worked a treat.

The other end of the cable that plugs into the intercom is just like a normal 3.5mm male jack so you could plug it in to any music do da I would think.

Roger

Online cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 10:36:58 pm »
Thanks for that Roger. I don't suppose you took any pictures??
 :002:

tweedy-bunch