Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: movement/play at the rear wheel  (Read 1685 times)

• Offline RedMerle   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    869

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophies, Tiger 1215
    • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
    Re: movement/play at the rear wheel
    Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05.50 am
    Nov 22, 2021, 05.50 am
    I find it hard to relate to some of these recent comments; having become very used to Triumph build quality, over the last 27 years, itís the Hondaís relatively poor build quality that would be amongst the top two or three reasons that Iíd rather not buy another.
    Last Edit: Nov 22, 2021, 05.55 am by RedMerle
    13 Tiger 1200 Red, White & Gold  - 2013 to date
    Ď14 Trophy 1200 SE Ruby Red - 2021 to date
    Ď15 Trophy 1200 SE Silver - 2021 to date
    Iím not fussy, as long as itís built in Hinckley or Solihull and tours, or goes off road, Iím happy!

• Online Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1350

Online Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2021, 03.44 pm
    Nov 22, 2021, 03.44 pm
    *Originally Posted by RedMerle [+]
    I find it hard to relate to some of these recent comments; having become very used to Triumph build quality, over the last 27 years, itís the Hondaís relatively poor build quality that would be amongst the top two or three reasons that Iíd rather not buy another.

I think itís human nature to try to justify that the vehicles one owns have to be ďthe bestĒ. Having now owned most of the motorcycle brands that are out there over the last fifty years of riding, I can pretty confidently say, based on only my personal experience, that none of them are perfect.  :431:
    Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

• Offline RedMerle   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    869

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophies, Tiger 1215
    • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
    Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2021, 04.52 pm
    Nov 22, 2021, 04.52 pm
    I'd certainly agree that none are perfect!

I don't think I'm justifying my own choice. I would be reluctant to go Japanese again, as I have too many memories of breakdowns, third rate welding and poor finishes - all in bikes that were much younger than any of my current Triumphs. The most unreliable of all was a Honda, followed by the Yamaha and then the Suzuki's. The Suzuki's did have terrible paint though, wearing through on the frame and tank sides inside 8,000 miles, with electrical systems that wouldn't stand 50 miles of heavy rain, without leaving me by the roadside, while rectifiers were a seriously weak point. I never considered running any of them beyond 20-30,000 miles or about 4 or 5 years old, while one of the Triumphs I kept for 19 years and another 21 years.

The quality of my work neighbour's R9T does look good though  :028:

13 Tiger 1200 Red, White & Gold  - 2013 to date
    Ď14 Trophy 1200 SE Ruby Red - 2021 to date
    Ď15 Trophy 1200 SE Silver - 2021 to date
    Iím not fussy, as long as itís built in Hinckley or Solihull and tours, or goes off road, Iím happy!

• Online Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1350

Online Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05.41 pm
    Nov 22, 2021, 05.41 pm
    I would respectfully suggest that you compare how much you spent for those Japanese motorcycles, as compared to your Trophys, even considering the era in which you purchased each. Every vehicle is built to a price point, and the Japanese motorcycles have historically been an excellent value proposition. Itís not fair to hold a vehicle that costs less to purchase than a more expensive vehicle, to the same standard.

I have a friend that put 280,000 virtually trouble free km on his Yamaha FJR1300 Sport Tourer before he sold it, and purchased another. When I compare it to my Trophy, I notice all the ways where it comes up short in terms of features, but to him, all those items that we consider features are just things that will eventually fail. Based on his personal experience, how can I argue?
    Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

tweedy-bunch