Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Value of Trophy looking to buy  (Read 1735 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline TStol

    • Trophy Member  ‐    14
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline TStol

    • Trophy Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 14
    Value of Trophy looking to buy
    on: Aug 05, 2021, 11.28 pm
    Aug 05, 2021, 11.28 pm
    I'm new to the forum and posted in the newbie section asking what to look for in a used Trophy SE.  Got great advice.

    I'm going to look at a bike this weekend 3 hours away, so I'd like to get your opinion on the price.  It's a 2017 Trophy SE, 9600 miles.  It "looks" as if the bike was meticulously maintained/kept and the couple, both retired military, seem very genuine.  It has not had the 10k mile service, which I know can run over $1000, and at 9600 miles, that's like adding $1k to the price of the bike. 

    They are asking $8500.

    I know they owe around $8250, so there's not a lot of wiggle room in the price, if any.  So is this bike worth $9500-$10000?  Depending, of course, on the cost of the 10k service check.

    TIA for your insightful opinions on this subject, and any suggestions you may have that I haven't thought of.

    V/r,

    TStol

  • Offline tdragger   us

    • Trophy Master  ‐    604
    • ****
      #1

    Offline tdragger

    • Trophy Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 604
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    • Country: us
    Re: Value of Trophy looking to buy
    Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2021, 03.28 am
    Aug 06, 2021, 03.28 am
    The 10k service is not the $1000 one.  That is the 20k.  $8500 is a good price.  Trophys are a great value.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 Iron Butt Rally, 2022 LDX Rally)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 Iron Butt Rally)
    IBA #609

  • Offline thogland   us

    • Trophy Pro  ‐    140
    • ***
      #2

    Offline thogland

    • Trophy Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 140
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wasilla
    • Country: us
    Re: 2017 SE value
    Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2021, 03.56 am
    Aug 06, 2021, 03.56 am
    The 10k service for me was about $400- the 20k service I had done this spring was about $1k.

  • Offline RedMerle   gb

    • Trophy Master  ‐    1018
    • ****
      #3

    Offline RedMerle

    • Trophy Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 1018
    • Bike: TTSE’s + Tiger 1200
    • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
    • Country: gb
    Re: Value of Trophy looking to buy
    Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2021, 07.35 am
    Aug 06, 2021, 07.35 am
    Can’t comment on the price, as used prices temd to be higher in the UK and late/low mileage in very short supply.
    Many late bikes had stood on the showroom floor for a while, so make sure you get a 10,000 mile service that INCLUDES brake fluid and coolant changes.
    If the plastic clutch actuator cover has an embossed “Triumph” logo in it, rather than a triangular logo, it would have been two year old stock when originally registered.
    The 10,000 mile service should have been carried out every year, irrespective of mileage (though few do); use this in negotiation if they go OTT in claiming how well it’s been looked after! Make sure that they at least got the 500 mile oil change done 👍
    Keeper of
    “The Cornish Trophy Sanctuary”
    🙄😁

  • Offline RedMerle   gb

    • Trophy Master  ‐    1018
    • ****
      #4

    Offline RedMerle

    • Trophy Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 1018
    • Bike: TTSE’s + Tiger 1200
    • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
    • Country: gb
    Re: Value of Trophy looking to buy
    Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2021, 07.38 am
    Aug 06, 2021, 07.38 am
    It’ll be worth a bit more if it has the OEM topbox and if it comes with heated seats, that’ll be a bonus as they are all but unobtainable now.
    Keeper of
    “The Cornish Trophy Sanctuary”
    🙄😁

  • Offline TStol

    • Trophy Member  ‐    14
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #5

    Offline TStol

    • Trophy Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 14
    Re: Value of Trophy looking to buy
    Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2021, 11.56 am
    Aug 06, 2021, 11.56 am
    *Originally Posted by tdragger [+]
    The 10k service is not the $1000 one.  That is the 20k.  $8500 is a good price.  Trophys are a great value.

    Ah, thank you.

  • Offline TStol

    • Trophy Member  ‐    14
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #6

    Offline TStol

    • Trophy Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 14
    Re: Value of Trophy looking to buy
    Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2021, 11.58 am
    Aug 06, 2021, 11.58 am
    *Originally Posted by RedMerle [+]
    Can’t comment on the price, as used prices temd to be higher in the UK and late/low mileage in very short supply.
    Many late bikes had stood on the showroom floor for a while, so make sure you get a 10,000 mile service that INCLUDES brake fluid and coolant changes.
    If the plastic clutch actuator cover has an embossed “Triumph” logo in it, rather than a triangular logo, it would have been two year old stock when originally registered.
    The 10,000 mile service should have been carried out every year, irrespective of mileage (though few do); use this in negotiation if they go OTT in claiming how well it’s been looked after! Make sure that they at least got the 500 mile oil change done 👍

    Great advice.  Like I said, there is little room for negotiation.  I suspect $200-500.  But I'll look for the things you mentioned.  Thank you.

  • Offline TStol

    • Trophy Member  ‐    14
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #7

    Offline TStol

    • Trophy Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 14
    Re: Value of Trophy looking to buy
    Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2021, 12.03 pm
    Aug 06, 2021, 12.03 pm
    *Originally Posted by RedMerle [+]
    It’ll be worth a bit more if it has the OEM topbox and if it comes with heated seats, that’ll be a bonus as they are all but unobtainable now.

    Yup, it's got those.