Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: HealTech Quickshifter - Looking for Long Term Reviews/Experience  (Read 1892 times)

• Offline Yaga1973   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    355
    • Topic Author

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2009 HD Road King
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
    HealTech Quickshifter - Looking for Long Term Reviews/Experience
    on: Aug 23, 2021, 11.18 pm
    Aug 23, 2021, 11.18 pm
    Hello All,

I was just wondering who has installed a HealTech quickshifter and what their thoughts were on it.  I'm not necessarily looking to install one on my TTSE anytime soon, I was just curious as the feedback found on this forum for quickshifters in general is a mixed bag.  In any case, if you do have a HealTech quickshifter, how long have you had it installed?  Do you know how many miles you've put on while it's been installed?  Have you had any adverse performance from your motorcycle because of it (e.g. worn gearbox parts)?  Would you install it again if you had to start over?

Here's to a fun discussion!

Cheers
    Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies
    2009 Harley-Davidson Road King
    2017 TTSE - Blue (Sold)

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2788

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: HealTech Quickshifter - Looking for Long Term Reviews/Experience
    Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2021, 09.17 am
    Aug 24, 2021, 09.17 am
    I will give my opinion on it without anyone bothering.

These systems are designed in such a way that it is to change gears without touching the clutch, but be careful, only to shift up, so to downshift you must press the clutch lever.

So, that function is only practical for those who run on circuits, since when going up gears without a clutch they will have to go up a lot of laps and obviously they will buy time to put their machine at a good speed in a few seconds.

I do not advise anyone to install it in a Trophy, I could test it in the Trophy and truly if you want your gearbox to be durable. Better not even think about it.

I will add that it can also be dangerous, since there are times that a strong shock hits the gearbox, either due to lack of synchronization or not reaching the necessary revolutions.

In a jolt of these, it can eat the extrias of a pinion of any gear, or what would be much worse, that it will block the gearbox and consequently have an accident.

I wanted to try it, because every day I do many kilometers per city (not valid for the city), I could only start it on the highway on the way home. I should speed up the gears a lot and that in a city is not possible.

I remember that when I installed it in the Trophy, I had to disassemble everything necessary until I reached the spark plug coils to insert a harness, which the device has for that purpose and then adapt a sensor to the gear shift lever, the adjustments and configurations I did with a mobile AAPP.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2788

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2021, 09.51 am
    Aug 24, 2021, 09.51 am
    Look at Yaga 1973, I still have the memory of the quickshifter.

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2021, 03.41 pm
    Aug 24, 2021, 03.41 pm
    I have absolutely no experience with aftermarket quickshifters, but would be hesitant to try one for the reasons digital mentioned.

My GSA has an OEM quickshifter, and I love it. It took some getting used to, but other than the first to second gear transition, it performs flawlessly both up and down. It can downshift a lot more quickly than I can.  :153:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2788

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2021, 06.51 pm
    Aug 24, 2021, 06.51 pm
    Indeed, one thing is a project carried out by engineers and the motorcycle comes out with that factory option and quite another is for a manufacturer of electronic accessories of this type for motorcycles to make their inventions and make them available to certain brands.

In my opinion, it is not the same to install a Quickshifter than a GIpro Gear Counter. Any failure in the gear change could cost us a good inconvenience.

In any case, like everything I do to the motorcycle, to remove my doubts and how little it costs me to disassemble my motorcycle. I had to try it.

• Offline Yaga1973   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    355
    • Topic Author

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2009 HD Road King
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
    Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2021, 03.34 am
    Aug 25, 2021, 03.34 am
    So what does an OEM setup do differently than this one?

Again, just driving discussion here.
    Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies
    2009 Harley-Davidson Road King
    2017 TTSE - Blue (Sold)

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2021, 12.46 pm
    Aug 25, 2021, 12.46 pm
    As digital mentioned, an OEM Quickshifter is engineered to work on a specific motorcycle, therefore the components are model specific, as is the software programming. On my GSA, the simple rule for up-shifting is steadily increasing throttle pressure as you shift in the appropriate Rev range.
    For down-shifting, the throttle has to be completely closed, and the Rev range has to be such that a down-shift doesn't over-rev the engine. The throttle automatically "blips" at each down-shift, making for incredibly quick action.

My 2016 R1200GS had the quickshifter option when I purchased it new as a leftover model in late 2017. At the time I was totally not interested in this option, so the Dealer took another $500 off the already discounted asking price as an incentive to purchase anyway. Once I got accustomed to using it, I found it to be like many vehicle options: not necessary, but nice to have.

Once you master the quickshifter, the shifts are smoother, both up and down, than are possible by manually shifting. With that said, there are times that I still enjoy shifting manually. The hardest part is when I have been riding the GSA for a while, and switch back to The Trophy!  :005:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2788

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2021, 03.55 pm
    Aug 25, 2021, 03.55 pm
    Yaga1973, The HealTech sensor system measures the change of pressure in the gear lever and in the OEM system, it surely measures the molecular tension to avoid that vibrations can lead to a false measurement.

What I do not know exactly if an OEM system sends the information directly to the control unit of the motorcycle or directly to a separate circuit with a microprocessor that calculates the moment at which to cut the ignition or the fuel supply, which reduces the load on the transmission and allows to engage the gear. The process typically completes in about 50 milliseconds.