Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Cycle world comparison  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Cycle world comparison
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:19:38 AM »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Cycle world comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »
"...the Trophy feels like a real motorcycle, my kind of motorcycle. You get the type of feedback that makes you feel like you’re always in control. If it were my money, it’s the one I would buy.” <--------and yet they choose the BMW as the winner???????????????? :187:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
BMW have a bigger budget for paying off the journalists! LOL

:745: :745:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy &amp; Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »
If my mortgage payments and livelihood were to depend on keeping the editor and publishers happy, I'd probably have to "conclude" that the BMW was the best bike out there too :003:

I wouldn't feel good about it and I'm sure they probably have consciences too. Can't be an easy way to earn a crust...

John.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:31:05 AM by RedMerle »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »
True...I suppose...but some people are influenced by and make purchasing decisions based on these articles...for shame on them :182:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:36:38 AM »
Goes to show that you have to try a bike before making a decision.  Like the comment about having to always look through the SE windshield - rather odd as I found it worked great at lower settings, and I am 5'8".  Those with FJRs might feel aggrieved as all the owners I know love them.

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:20 AM »
Unfu :172: believable.  It's like some of the elimination decisions on Australian Masterchef - the judges comments are not reflective/consistent with their final decision.  It appears the important things in a bike like best steering, best consistent power delivery across the range, best comfy seat, and more - just what you would want in a motorbike (and referring to the Triumph) are overshadowed by a too tall windscreen and the BMW badge.  They are a joke -  if I read the article correctly, they criticised the TTSE windscreen because they couldn't see over it - but they had the thing "fully raised" - well hello! that's the idea when you want full protection, otherwise, just lower it - there's a button on the handlebars, push the buttom to lower.  BTW, didn't they say, the electronic suspension was an optional extra on the BMW - so they weren't actually riding a standard/stock BMW, it was fitted with extras.  The TTSE could also be fitted with a lower aftermarket windscreen if the stock windscreen really bothered them so much.  This is my message to those testers  :192:
Always ride in control.

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy &amp; Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:05:23 AM »
"all three of us chose the K1600GT as the winner of this comparison... Yes, it’s more expensive, especially with the $5000 worth of options fitted to our testbike."

$5,000 worth of extras!  :745: The last time I test rode a BMW, the salesman was telling me all about the electronic suspension and not until after I'd brought the bike back and he'd parked it back in the showroom (and in response to a direct question), did he tell me it was an extra. A hideously expensive extra.

This is a long accepted bit of BMW smoke and mirrors; sell cars and bikes with as many options as possible and then compare the value of a 2 to 3 year old, highly optioned, version with the price of a brand new (vanilla) version and "hey presto", look at the "low depreciation" !

In the case of heavy depreciation, blame it on the customer for not choosing the right options! Or, put it another way, "Sir will want to protect the value of his investment by specifying X, Y & Z". Put it another way still "Don't even think of coming back here for a trade in unless your bike is done up like a Christmas tree"!

I like this comment:

BMW "Downs":

"Exhaust tips a little too 1950s’-looking"

May I correct that to read: "1969 looking". Of all the things to blatantly copy (sorry "be inspired by"), the ray guns on a 1969 T150 Trident / Rocket 3 seem an odd choice  :187:

PS: Terribly sorry! My resolution to never be nasty about BMW's again has had a very bad morning!   :192:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:29:19 AM by RedMerle »

tweedy-bunch