Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Replacing The Audio Unit on TTSE  (Read 2356 times)

• Offline PhilInAthens   gr

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288
    • Topic Author

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Replacing The Audio Unit on TTSE
    on: Aug 31, 2021, 07.55 pm
    Aug 31, 2021, 07.55 pm
    So, my TTSE audio unit woes continue (continuing intermittently since purchased in 2014). At least this time they're a bit different!

In my recent saga, the unit only produces static. It does so via blue tooth to helmet, or via on-board speakers. This is regardless of input signal source. (This is not the original unit, but the one that replaced the original back in 2014 when the whole firmware version thing came to be understood.  The current one is updated to 1.04E of course.)

Now believing the unit is giving up the ghost, I am confronted with replacing the unit. I have sent a message to Radio Sound Inc. seeking replacement /repair cost information, etc. I expect the expect the costs to be extremely painful.

My questions to my friends here are:

1) Has someone found an alternative product that is a 'plug-n-play' alternative?
    2) Has anyone done the tear down to replace the unit and if so, do they have pictures taken during the adventure, how-to tips, etc.? (I have the service manual, but I'm good with receiving advice from the previously experienced.)

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Replacing The Audio Unit on TTSE
    Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2021, 08.39 pm
    Aug 31, 2021, 08.39 pm
    Some time ago I had problems with the unit, I contacted Triumph from the United Kingdom, (it was not a satisfactory), later I contacted RadioSound and the response of the latter was that they sell me another unit.

In the end I repaired my unit, the end of the right channel power stage was failing.

On the other hand, I am sure that any other unit of sound equipment can be used, for example this one from the following link:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B094Y8GX3S/?coliid=IS3RBM7KSLVI0&colid=1CRKR88CSCSUS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

To make it work, you can use the same keypad on the Trophy sound system. The tests that I got to do, I was able to make it work, but I am still waiting to be able to link the RDS text with the Trophy screen.

Of course, to be able to put into operation any sound equipment that is not OEM, you must have knowledge of electronics, but you can. I could start over with the subject and open a section in the forum and insert the progress in case somebody is able to replace the NON-OEM sound equipment.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2021, 08.50 pm
    Aug 31, 2021, 08.50 pm
    When I said have knowledge of electronics. I was referring to at least link the Trophy keypad with any other non-OEM sound equipment.

Some people have installed a sound system in Trophy not SE but not linked to the Trophy audio keypad. In this way they have had to put on the handlebar the control that carries that equipment, but they are of little power and are hardly heard once you are on the road.

This is an example of what they have installed:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005003127179621.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1f341cb4nmaFqS&algo_pvid=a2788a3b-3c82-46d6-ba0e-7e494a9af881&algo_exp_id=a2788a3b-3c82-46d6-ba0e-7e494a9af881-19

Most of these teams, it is not true the output watts that they put on the web.

• Offline PhilInAthens   gr

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288
    • Topic Author

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2021, 04.08 pm
    Sep 05, 2021, 04.08 pm
    Digital, thank you for that.

After considering the options, I decided to at least ask RadioSound what the expense would be to repair or buy new.  They don't repair any longer, but it turned out they would sell a brand new unit for $375.00, shipping included. (Note: Hermys Triumph eStore website lists this unit for $2,198.00!)

After asking them to confirm that the 1.04E fireware was upladed into the units (they said it was), I opted to buy one directly from RadioSound and I had it in-hand 2 days later.

Now I have to find the time to tear the bike down and swap them out. Looking at the service manual a lot of stuff has to come off the bike (including the rear wheel (?)) to get it out.  It appears a large part of that effort is simply to get to the 3 connections. We'll see how this goes and I'll report back as to how much "fun" I have.

Again, if anyone has done this before and have any "tricks" to make things easier, please share!  :169:

• Offline STJIM   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    424

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2021, 10.16 pm
    Sep 05, 2021, 10.16 pm
    I haven't had a problem with my radio yet, but thank you Phil for that information.  I wonder why RS doesn't do repairs anymore?   But from what I remember from past posts, the flat rate repair cost was about $375 ( or was it ? ).

Anyone know who actually makes the unit ?  I wouldn't be surprised if it's basically a generic unit that is used in many applications and that's why RS was able to do repairs.

Phil & Digital :  Are there any manufacturers labels and/or model numbers on the unit ?
    Last Edit: Sep 05, 2021, 10.27 pm by STJIM
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014  SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2021, 11.34 pm
    Sep 05, 2021, 11.34 pm
    Yes, STJIM, there are RadioSound manufacturer numbers and labels in the United States.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2021, 12.06 am
    Sep 06, 2021, 12.06 am
    *Originally Posted by PhilInAthens [+]
    Again, if anyone has done this before and have any "tricks" to make things easier, please share!  :169:

I do not understand how Triumph complicates things so much, it is very difficult to access to disassemble the radio equipment.

The time I disassembled (a few years ago) the sound system, I do not recall disassembling the rim, I just disassembled all the fairings and the fuel tank, also, the two sides, left and right, the fuse and relay assemblies, and I put them aside, once I have cleaned everything, I remove the two rear screws and the two front screws from the glove compartment of the sound system. Next, slide the center of the stereo glove compartment up.

Once it was outside, making jerky movements and forcing the plastic a bit, I was able to remove the lid (or just enough to be able to loosen the bracket and get the stereo out of the glove compartment).

Once the glove box is out or moved to the side so you can remove the screws holding the sound system.

I advise once the sound equipment has been disassembled. Do not install it in its bracket, if you remove the bracket from the sound system, in the future you can remove and reinsert the sound system through its narrow part, through the glove compartment door under the seat.

I remember that Eloteq, by the way, (it has been a long time since he has been seen in the forum). He did the sound installation for his non-SE motorcycle and put the sound system without the bracket and thus avoid having to disassemble everything mentioned.

If you follow the instructions in the workshop manual, if it is true that you have to remove the rear tire, the fenders and all that work that that entails.

Without the iron bracket that holds the sound system in place, it can be replaced in less than a minute.

• Offline STJIM   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    424

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2021, 01.46 am
    Sep 06, 2021, 01.46 am
    Digital:

So without the bracket that "holds the sound system in place" , what holds the sound system in place and prevents it from moving around ?
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014  SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100