Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Pillion backrest  (Read 1558 times)

• Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TT
    • City / Town: Victoria
    Pillion backrest
    on: Sep 06, 2021, 01.33 pm
    Sep 06, 2021, 01.33 pm
    I've been trying to find a pillion backrest (without having to use a topbox) but have only found the Corbin seat with backrest, which looks great but rather expensive. I have now found that the rack and pillion backrest for the Triumph Tiger Explorer made by Dynamic Motorcycle Accessories fits perfectly on the Triumph Trophy SE.

https://dynamicmotorcycleaccessories.com/collections/triumph-tiger-explorer

Longer front bolts are required than those that come with Tiger Explorer kit but otherwise it was very easy to fit. My brief instructions are:

1. Remove the pillion seat and rear light cover
    2. Remove the plastic rack cover
    3. On the grab rack below remove the two front bolts which will be replaced by longer 70 mm bolts
    4. Washers will need to be placed over the two unused-holes at the rear of the grab rack. This is because the holes are too large (a better solution is to use two more of Flanged Sleeves available very cheaply from Triumph (T3010121 Sleeve Flanged 8.2 x 11.3 x 9.15).
    5. Place the 25 mm risers (spacer) over the front and rear grab rack mounting holes (leaving the middle bolts in place)
    6. Set the rack over the risers and insert the two 70 mm bolt at the front end and screw loosely into the frame
    7. Put the two shorter bolts into the rear of the frame and attach washers and nuts to the underside of the grab rack (a better solution is to use T2304918 Clamp Plate and T3450101 Button Firtree M6 x 11 available very cheaply from Triumph).
    8. Tighten all four bolts
    9. Reinstall backlight cover and seat.

Using the above instructions means that you can see the rather unsightly grab rack under the Dynamic rack. I therefore cut holes in the plastic rack cover large enough to fit the risers through. This is more work but looks much smarter than seeing the base of the grab rack under the Dynamic rack.

One other thing I did was replace the seat bolts with coach bolts (so they wont turn in the slot) and put wing nuts on top. If most people are like me and only take a pillion passenger occasionally you can then quickly install/remove the seat.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4913

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Pillion backrest
    Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2021, 02.02 pm
    Sep 06, 2021, 02.02 pm
    Nice job!  Great information for anyone interested in a backrest without the top case. :028:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2021, 02.23 pm
    Sep 06, 2021, 02.23 pm
     :047: :047: :047:
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    669

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2021, 03.20 pm
    Sep 06, 2021, 03.20 pm
    *Originally Posted by Pommy [+]
    I've been trying to find a pillion backrest (without having to use a topbox) but have only found the Corbin seat with backrest, which looks great but rather expensive. I have now found that the rack and pillion backrest for the Triumph Tiger Explorer made by Dynamic Motorcycle Accessories fits perfectly on the Triumph Trophy SE.

To be honest, the back rest on the top box is a bit useless.  Unless your pillion is really fat, your back doesn't reach the backrest.  My lady stuffs something extra between her and the backrest.
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member  ‐    20
    • Topic Author

Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TT
    • City / Town: Victoria
    Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2021, 01.43 am
    Sep 07, 2021, 01.43 am
    The backrest from Dynamic Motorcycle Accessories does have some forward/backward adjustment which can be useful for example if you have a backpack. With some modification to the bracket it could probably be moved further forward.

• Offline TriumphTwo

• Trophy Member  ‐    64

Offline TriumphTwo

• Trophy Member
    • Triumph fan
    • Bike: TTSE 2013, Sprint ST
    • City / Town: Hann. Muenden
    Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2021, 10.56 am
    Sep 08, 2021, 10.56 am
    Hi Pommy,

very good solution, especially if you are not using a top box, and rarely have a pillion.
    Well done! :152:

*Originally Posted by Novocastrian [+]
    To be honest, the back rest on the top box is a bit useless.  Unless your pillion is really fat, your back doesn't reach the backrest.  My lady stuffs something extra between her and the backrest.

Hi Ken,

my wife and I love the freedom we have.
    She often sits so far at the end, she can use the backrest of the top box. We are then seperated by approx 4 inches.
    Since she is a very good pillion, following me thorugh every corner no matter where she sits, I sometimes turn my head left or right to check the shadow of the bike if she´s still there.
    Unless I hear her snoring through the headset... (I was thinking about using velcro on box and her jacket :745: to avoid losing her)
    She loves it, because she gets some more air around her and has space to sit comfortably.
    On my Sprint ST I always have her on my back, because everything is much tighter. Which is good in that case, as riding the ST means no chickenstrip on the tires. Different ballgame.

Kind regards
    Michael
    "the hair rising sound of a triple"

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11.11 am
    Sep 08, 2021, 11.11 am
    There are times when I tell my lady if I put a tape on her so she doesn't fall off the bike. LOL. Her answer is always the same, which is very comfortable and is also placed next to the Topcase, which I appreciate that it is so, because it leaves me enough space for what I need. I don't like being tight or being grabbed.
    There are also times that he falls asleep ...
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline sin_tiger   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    518

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
    • City / Town: Maybole
    Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2021, 12.23 am
    Sep 09, 2021, 12.23 am
    I had a friend who did long two up trips on his Honda Pan. He would wear a slim back pack with a clear windowed pocket into which he had a tablet inserted.

This was so that his wife (also a biker) could watch her drama series on the longer highway stretches  :001: