Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New Brunswick, Canada, Four Corners Tour  (Read 142 times)

Offline OpusThePenguin

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Brunswick
New Brunswick, Canada, Four Corners Tour
« on: September 13, 2021, 04:03:33 pm »
Having very little free time, but wanting to get some longer drives in, as I prepare to try and travel farther and farther from home more often I was looking for a some routes to take.  I found the NB four corners tours. 

Basically it's an unofficial tour that requires you to visit 4 specific landmarks in the province, in one riding season.  If you would like an 'official' unofficial certificate from the person who started it you submit a photo of you with your bike at the landmark and a receipt of a purchase within 20km of the landmark (two of these landmarks, 20km was the closest gas station).  I have submitted my information this morning.

I decided to go in order of shortest from me to longest.  That means for me Corner #1 was the Algonquin Inn, in Saint Andrews.  Although I have never been to this specific (and pretty famous Inn) I have been to a neighboring town a few times cause this is one of my favorite roads to ride on so far so I've been down it a half dozen times already.  The roads are smooth secondary roads with enough sweeping corners to make it interesting. A break by the ocean is always a nice treat to.

The second corner was the Confederation Bridge, joining New Brunswick with PEI.  It's a pretty well known landmark. The Confederation Bridge is the longest bridge in the world crossing ice-covered water. The toll bridge spans a 12.9 km. I would have gone over it, except for the toll that you have to pay to come back the other way.  The road there is 4 lane highways 2/3rds of the way followed by a 1 lane highway so it's not the most exciting drive in the world.  It's also quite busy with tourist and people who go to the island with their campers.

Corner #3, St. Thomas D'Aquin Church in Lac Baker, was probably my least favorite drive.  Almost all of it, except maybe the last half hour was all 4 lane highways.  My wife and her friend wanted to come for the drive so they actually followed along in the car with a couple of our kids. I should have taken an extra break each way for the sake of my butt, but didn't due to my company.  The product I was trying for my seat wasn't quit cutting it.  The last bit of the drive to the church was quite nice and it's just a little out of the way church very close to the border with Quebec.

The Last corner I did yesterday.  Corner #4 was the Miscou Island Lighthouse. By far the longest time in the saddle in one day.  Almost all secondary highways, and unlike most of the province I live in, the roads were actually quite decent.  Where I live the roads are quite affected by the freeze thaw cycles in the spring and the scraping from the plows removing snow in the winter.  That means a lot of them are patched up and there are patches on patches on patches and the edge of the road can be chewed up quite a bit. These ones must be travelled enough to warrant total repaving's occasionally. I have been trying different things and working on making the seat more comfortable for longer rides and what I tried for this trip was not perfect, but the best I've had so far.  My shifter bolt did shear off about an hour and a half from home so that added some excitement.  I had to park the bike overnight and then drove it to a family members house the next morning stuck in first gear.  What should have taken a 30-45min  too just over a full hour.  Also the last hour before the lighthouse, while it may not have been the strongest wind I've ever riden in, it's got to be close to it, and for the longest most consistent amount of time for sure.  I did enjoy the ride and look forward to going again next year.

Due to some unforeseen financial issues, I've been working 3 jobs at around 70-80 hours a week (hopefully not for much longer though) so getting away for these rides has been a real issue.  It's taken me 3-4 weeks each time to be able to get away.  My plan is to try and start each riding season by doing this tour in 3-4 weeks and maybe eventually do it in a weekend with some camping on the way.  It was a fun experience and perfect for what I was looking for. 

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
Re: New Brunswick, Canada, Four Corners Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 05:15:47 pm »
Glad to hear it was fun.
Thank you for sharing those photos and the experience of that trip.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 12:23:05 am »
Congratulations on a very interesting series of rides. You'll find all the info that you need in the forum regarding the "broken bolt syndrome". :821: :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline OpusThePenguin

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Brunswick
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 11:09:57 am »
*Originally Posted by HACKLE [+]
Congratulations on a very interesting series of rides. You'll find all the info that you need in the forum regarding the "broken bolt syndrome". :821: :028:

For sure.  I've been reading up on it a lot on here.  I'll be attempting it this weekend.