Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: GPS Power Connector vs Power Distro Block  (Read 315 times)

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE - Blue
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
GPS Power Connector vs Power Distro Block
« on: September 23, 2021, 05:41:37 pm »
Hello all,

Quick question for you.  I'm about to mount up a Zumo XT (Yay!) and am wondering if there is any advantage of wiring the power lead to a fused power distribution block (Eastern Beaver) as opposed to using the factory dedicated GPS power connector. 

Any thoughts on this subject?
Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wasilla
Re: GPS Power Connector vs Power Distro Block
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 05:59:44 pm »
While I"m not 100% fluent in Trophy wiring, they're both switched power. There shouldn't be any difference, except that the onboard lead is right where you want it already, and you'd have to fish wires from the EB block into place.

The only difference I can think of is that I believe the onboard is 10A (that might be wrong but I think that's what it is), while the EB can be whatever you need - I think those are rated higher.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 08:09:21 pm »
Mine is run off of a 3A dedicated circuit from my switched fuse block (home made).  Since the XT is bluetooth only output and you can't hardwire an audio connection through the Trophy from it there is no advantage to using the Trophy's connection other than the shorter run.  If you've never had a gps on an OEM mount that may be an advantage.  I've always had a Tom Tom run from my fuse block so to me it was simple to just use my existing wiring when I installed the OEM gps mount.  I can also change my gps brand at any time by just disconnecting the Tom Tom mount on the OEM bracket and installing whatever brand I want using any amps pattern powered mount.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 08:13:14 pm by trophied »
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 11:04:18 am »
For what it's worth, I run both my Zumo XT and my Dezl 770 off the built in wiring port on the Trophy.  Spliced both power leads to the Triumph lead.  It saves fishing the wire back to my Fuzeblock under the seat.
-------------------------------------
15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
IBA #609

Offline Yaga1973

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE - Blue
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 01:06:22 am »
Since I already had the factory power connector, I went ahead and wired it up using that. I decided against pulling wire up to the front.
Ride safe, ride often!

One of the "New" Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch