Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Shifter bolt woes and a missing exhaust  (Read 1520 times)

• Offline Puttyandnapalm

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline Puttyandnapalm

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 13 se
    • City / Town: Cumberland, MD
    Shifter bolt woes and a missing exhaust
    on: Oct 06, 2021, 04.46 am
    Oct 06, 2021, 04.46 am
    Whelp,
    After a year of solid riding with no issues:
    Had some minor electrical trouble (headlights flickering severely) and ended up cleaning the posts and replacing the battery fuse, and all is well until

My exhaust pipe fell off on the highway. Felt what felt like a minor bump in road and sure enough, fell off about a mile back. Was on my way to work so I couldnít come back right away. My coworker said he saw it, but sure enough when I looked the pipe was gone 6 hours later.

While ordering all the nuts/bolts (and the pipe itself from a forum member), I decided to order an extra shifter bolt as I saw they can be problematic and figured itíd be a good idea to have a spare.

So while Iím waiting for exhaust parts to arrive, I figure Iíll go ahead and remove the current shifter bolt to grease up just in case.

Sure enough, snapped right off while removing.

Head to store to buy extractor kit.

Sure enough, bolt extractor breaks off too.

Now Iíve ordered a specialty bit to cut through the extractor bolt.

Iím optimistic Iíll get everything sorted this weekend, but I am a bit disappointed in both areas. The exhaust never felt loose or anything, and I know the shifter bolt has been covered to death on this forum.

Wish me luck this ďrescue boltĒ lives up to the hype

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10195

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Shifter bolt woes and a missing exhaust
    Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2021, 07.02 am
    Oct 06, 2021, 07.02 am
    I'm amazed that the exhaust just "fell off" - Did the Bolt securing the rear end come undone,
    or did the bracket that is welded to the rear section fail, leaving that part still attached with the bolt ?

That still leaves the clamp securing the Silencer to the main pipe,
    but if the rear end has come undone I can see how that would eventually pull out of the joint.

Good luck with the extraction  :028:

• Offline sin_tiger   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    519

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
    • City / Town: Maybole
    Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2021, 09.56 am
    Oct 06, 2021, 09.56 am
    Bad luck mate  :159:

Have you recently had a new rear tyre fitted? I had a similar experience in noticing the exhaust was blowing after I had to get a tyre replaced on a trip at a garage I'd not used before (and won't use again). The pipe clamp and bracket bolt hadn't been done up properly when I stopped to fix the blow. My mate (not very technically minded) was watching while I was doing other things, later told me that the "tyre fitter" had not removed the end can to get the wheel off and on, just swung it to one side while still on the down pipe  :023:

• Offline Puttyandnapalm

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline Puttyandnapalm

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 13 se
    • City / Town: Cumberland, MD
    Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2021, 04.19 pm
    Oct 06, 2021, 04.19 pm
    Nope, same tires since I bought it last year. Bolts are just simply gone.
    I have about $40 in piece parts from Engle motors ordered when I decided to order an extra shifter bolt. I guess Iím glad if it was going to break that it did so in my garage than on the road.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2948

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2021, 06.48 pm
    Oct 06, 2021, 06.48 pm
    How weird is that. I have never heard of anyone that has happened the same.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline CAM

• Trophy Member  ‐    60

Offline CAM

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: '14 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Comox
    Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2021, 08.52 pm
    Oct 06, 2021, 08.52 pm
    *Originally Posted by Puttyandnapalm [+]
    Nope, same tires since I bought it last year. Bolts are just simply gone.
    I have about $40 in piece parts from Engle motors ordered when I decided to order an extra shifter bolt. I guess Iím glad if it was going to break that it did so in my garage than on the road.

I also decided to be proactive and R&R those bolts. The shifter side loosened easily so removed it, cleaned the thread lock off and reinstalled it with a small drop of blue locktite. The brake side appeared to start to loosen but actually just sheered flush with the frame though there was still about 3/16" of thread on the sleeved bolt so it must not have been fully seated at the factory and may be why it sheered. Like you, I made the big mistake of drilling and trying a bolt extractor without using heat and snapped the extractor. I tried to drill out the extractor with a variety of specialty bits but none would even bite into the hardened extractor.  After trying various Dremel Tool diamond wheel points I was finally able to grind out the extractor and finish the job by carefully drilling out the old bolt piece and fortunately did not damage the threads. Harrowing experience to say the least and I would advise anyone planning on removing these bolts to use heat to soften the patch lock material.

Good luck.

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5103

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2021, 12.37 am
    Oct 07, 2021, 12.37 am
    A good reason to bore a straight through the recessed hex on a drill press and replace it with a cap screw, washer and lock washer and no loctite.  Life will be a whole lot better for the duration of the machine.  Lots of posts about it.  I used a socket head cap screw cut to length and just made the old poor design into just bushing for each lever.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2021, 09.48 am
    Oct 09, 2021, 09.48 am
    I anticipate you are going to have problems trying to get the broken extractor out and on a personal note, I hate the things.
    Not sure of your mechanical abilities, but mt suggestion would be to grind the extractor out with a carbide or diamond bit in a hand held Dremel or similar high speed rotary tool. Take it easy and keep away from the aluminium of the frame. Once all the parts of the broken extractor are out, then you can work on the broken bolt. I have a drill jig I made, which mounts onto the sidestand bolt holes and is directly above the gear lever bolt to drill it out, but postal costs to the USA and back would be prohibitive. There are pictures of it here somewhere and plenty of info if you search on "broken gear lever (shifter?) bolt.
    Good luck.