Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Radio Off / Low Voltage During Gear Change (Downshift)  (Read 2751 times)

• Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Enniskillen
    Radio Off / Low Voltage During Gear Change (Downshift)
    on: Oct 06, 2021, 04.19 pm
    Oct 06, 2021, 04.19 pm
    Hi folks,
    I've browsed through the posts and searched the forum but can't seem to find any results that match my issue.

I bought my 2013 TTSE in 2018 with 50k miles on the clock and I've put a further 18k miles on in that time. During the time that I've owned the bike, I've experienced the "low voltage" warning on quite a few occasions and thought little of it. I had noticed that when I sounded the horn that the radio went off and the warning was displayed but I've changed to a Denali Soundbomb mini running on a relay triggered by the horn switch and that phenomenon has now stopped .

However I've just returned from a 1000 mile trip when I noticed that the radio went off and the warning was displayed when I downshifted to 3rd gear and I thought this strange. I do have the 2nd gear problem where the bike jumps into neutral if any load is applied in 2nd gear ad I intend to look at this is due course but I don't see how a mechanical issue would affect the electricals.

I also had turned the radio off using the switches at the ferry terminal and after a few minutes the radio turned back on again - this happened a few times in succession.

Again I noticed the radio go off and the warning appear when the fan activated when I was sitting in a traffic queue.

So I'm asking for any suggestions as to why this might be happening and where on the bike to go looking for a solution.

I'm thinking to remove and clean / replace all the fuses as a starting point in case they're corroded and not performing as effectively as they should.
    Any other ideas from the learned group?

Thanks in advance,
    Al

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4913

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Radio Off / Low Voltage During Gear Change (Downshift)
    Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2021, 08.00 pm
    Oct 06, 2021, 08.00 pm
    How old is your battery.  My original lasted 5 years after it was replaced under warranty within the first month of owning my 2013 due to the 1.04A radio software that killed the original.  When it went south and ended up dead, jumping it to start the bike showed all kinds of warnings while it was running.  Shutting it off for as much as an hour resulted in less voltage than required to restart it.  It seems to me that a large percentage of voltage issues discussed here end up being a battery that needs to be replaced.  Everything is voltage sensitive.  I'd check it under load first then check it after it's been sitting overnight and see what you get.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2021, 08.08 pm
    Oct 06, 2021, 08.08 pm
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Trophied.
    The battery was replaced at the start of 2019 so isn't old by any means.
    I'll do a load test on it and take it from there.
    Thanks.

Any ideas about the mechanical affecting the electrical?

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4913

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2021, 09.00 pm
    Oct 06, 2021, 09.00 pm
    Maybe one of the position sensors, there are several.  Digital may be along shortly to add some invaluable information and trouble shooting processes.  Do you have a Dealertool or Tigertool?  Those may help with the diagnostics.
    Last Edit: Oct 06, 2021, 09.02 pm by trophied
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Zipster00

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2021, 09.03 pm
    Oct 06, 2021, 09.03 pm
    Yes Iíve got both but havenít any DTCs stored.
    Thanks again.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08.54 pm
    Feb 17, 2022, 08.54 pm
    Sorry, I had not seen this post.

Since this post was published days ago, I don't know how you are currently doing with that problem?

Although it seems to you that when changing gear with the gear lever, it is a mechanical maneuver. Believe me, it's not quite like that. Think that when it comes to a gear change from third to second, whatever speed it is. If it is true, it is a mechanical maneuver, but an electronic part also has an influence, since at the same time the gear engaged sensor is working and, obviously, it is using an electronic part.

When there is a problem at this point, it will not show any stored DTCs, but what you will notice is that when you change gear, you will notice that the neutral warning light comes on and the sound system may stop for a few seconds. This can happen because of:
    - Low battery level.
    - Cable that goes from the starter solenoid to the alternator, is sulfated
    - 40 Amp fuse in poor condition (it is the one on the battery).
    - Battery terminals do not make good contact
    -   Etc etcÖ

I would also be interested to know if, with the engine running, you have noticed that the lights of the headlights, as well as the instrument panel, dim and when you open the throttle, they do not blink. This can also be noticed when you are driving your motorcycle, (especially driving at night) you notice that when you change speed, the lights dim and later when you open the throttle, they shine brightly again.
    Everything explained here, it is of vital importance that you report if everything is as I explain, or not. And so you can indicate some other solutions...
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2022, 07.28 am
    Feb 18, 2022, 07.28 am
    Just to add my comments to digital's ...

The Trophy does seem to be overly sensitive to Voltage issues,
    and it is worth checking as many of the main contacts as possible
    for corrosion or loose connections, including :

• Main Battery Terminals
    • Main Fuse ( near Battery ) Fuse and Fuseholder connections
    • Main Terminals of the Starter Solenoid
    • Terminals at the Starter Motor & Alternator
    • Main Battery Earth Cable connection

digital : It would be very useful if you could show a Photo of the location where the
    Ground / Negative Cable from the Main Battery connects to the Trophy Engine / Frame,
    as I don't think there is a Photo of this on the Forum ? - Do you have one ?

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2022, 02.05 pm
    Feb 19, 2022, 02.05 pm
    In this picture I show the main direct ground connection from the battery negative to the engine ground:

In the following photo, if I remember correctly, it is where it is connected from the engine to the general ground of the main harness of the entire motorcycle, including the motorcycle chassis.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.