Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Just a word: windshield 'circlips' easy to pull off and loose....  (Read 2276 times)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Fact that the windscreen 'parks' is cool, but a PITA too as it makes the shield hard to clean, unless you leave the ignition on and raise it.   

Parking seems needless wear and tear to me... Wish it could be disabled.

anyway, I digress.   Apparently when cleaning the shield, my cloth caught one of the clips, and it was pulled off and lost.   The rubber grommet/bushing followed and when I caught it the pin had backed about 1/2 way out.. But luckily not lost.

I was able to find a clip that fit at a local NAPA (nearest dealer is 135 miles south) and used a flat washer until I can get replacements...  Pins are 8mm, 5/16ths US will fit.

Me, I'd have used bolts and locknuts but.. I didn't design the beast!!!

Jan...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
Re: Just a word: windshield 'circlips' easy to pull off and loose....
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:09:25 pm »
Thanks for the heads up

Say HI to Duluth for me.  A long, long time ago, when I was younger, I skied at Spirit Mountain almost every weekend.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:26:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by triucati [+]
Thanks for the heads up

Say HI to Duluth for me.  A long, long time ago, when I was younger, I skied at Spirit Mountain almost every weekend.

Will do Triucati!  We'll have snow here long before I'd like!!!!
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline Scubadvr

• Trophy Pro
  • The journey IS the destination!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: GSF1250SA Bandit
  • City / Town: St. Louis
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:59:36 pm »
I, too, have been to Duluth, and enjoyed the city.  I visited in late summer, and the weather (and scenery)  was absolutely gorgeous, yet I was fascinated by the "Habitrail" connections between the buildings downtown, allowing access between buildings in the winter without the need to venture outside. :190:

The weight of the glaciers from the last Ice Age is also very evident in the area's topology.  Very cool!

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:39:09 am »
I like the clips  and the easy removal. It would be very difficult to get 2 wrenches in there. The design is good.
You may be the only one to loose a clip. AND, I bet you will never loose a clip again. Thanks for making the rest of us more aware of the potential.
I think the park feature is needless, however if you need to put a cover on the bike, It works.
Wear and tear? Not so sure. How long do windshield wiper motors, and HVAC blowers, in some cases operate during every mile of the vehicle, last in cars, Or even door lock actuators? Up and down every time you go into drive and or park. I really dint think we are going to wear out the windscreen mechanism.
Nice feature, would be better yet, if we had the option to select it.

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:17:06 pm »
I was riding Saturday morning and after about 40 minutes noticed my windshield moving oddly.  I turned around and headed home and when I got there and turned off the ignition, the windshield started doing all sorts of crazy gyrations. I noticed that the right upper actuator arm for windshield was disconnected.  The circular clip had fallen off, the pin had backed out and two of the four bushings had fallen out.

I do not find the design of clip and pin to be robust enough for the windshield actuator, a spring cotter pin would be much better, and I may modify mine.  My big beef is that when I ordered the parts, because triumph dealers, even the good ones, do not stock much, cost me $18.  This is crazy for a pin, 2 plastic bushings and a circular clip.

Just my morning rant.

Ride safe.

ZShyster

tweedy-bunch