Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Brake Pulse  (Read 1249 times)

• Offline Trophyed-Up   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    170
    • Topic Author

Offline Trophyed-Up

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chesapeake Va.
    Brake Pulse
    on: Oct 14, 2021, 06.53 pm
    Oct 14, 2021, 06.53 pm
          I bought my 2015 SE 16 months ago with 8k miles.  After I put a few hundred miles on it I noticed the front brakes pulsing, especially at slow speeds.  It got worse and was felt at high speeds too.  I cleaned the bobbins and that helped some but did not cure the pulse. 
          I've put 10k miles on the bike.  I bought new EBC brake pads which I planned to change this winter.  About a month ago with 16k miles on the bike I decided to check the existing pads. I pulled the rear caliper and found the rear pads to be paper thin.  Down to and through some of the wear indicators. About 1/16 inch left.  I was very surprised.  I don't ride the back brakes. I don't know about the previous owner.  Plus the rear brakes are linked so they do that much less work.  I installed new pads.  I checked the front pads and they looked new. Maybe the previous owner changed them, I don't know.  I installed my new EBC pads anyway.  I flushed and changed the front and rear brake fluid.  The pulsing was better but still there.  I could live with it but it should not have a pulse.  Felt like warped rotors. I don't have a dial indicator and I never checked the run out.  I rode 2k miles after the work was done. 
         I saw a pair of front brake rotors on Ebay.  They came off a 2011 speed triple for $160.  I decided to take a chance and purchased.  I cleaned them up and installed.  Only been on a couple short rides but so far no pulsing.  So my questions are:  Does the SE have lousy brake rotors?  I've seen a lot of complaints about the brake pulsing.
                           Why would the rear brake pads be so thin?  Front brakes do most the work when I'm riding.  Do the rear brakes have anything to do with the TCS ?  I'm not a speed obsessed sport bike rider.  I enjoy curvy back roads but I'm not scraping pegs and being crazy.  Still, rear brake pads finished in 16k miles does not seem right. 

• Offline Tenequip   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    146

Offline Tenequip

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
    • City / Town: Ford City, PA.
    Re: Brake Pulse
    Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2021, 03.11 am
    Oct 15, 2021, 03.11 am
    The Trophy front rotors have a problem, not sure what it is. My guess is the braking forces are not applied symmetrically to the rotors, causing excessive heat and bending forces to the rotors, thus the warping of the rotors. Also, the Trophy seems to have more bobbins than most bikes I have seen. I went thru two sets of Triumph rotors before I put on after markets and the problem has gone away for the last 20,000 miles. The after market rotors look a little thicker, but I havenít micked them.

• Offline Trophyed-Up   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    170
    • Topic Author

Offline Trophyed-Up

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chesapeake Va.
    Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2021, 04.19 am
    Oct 15, 2021, 04.19 am
           The used rotors I just installed have brass looking metal in the middle part versus the gray metal on the SE rotors.  I was hoping that they were aftermarket but they are Sunstar just like the original SE rotors. Have the speed triples had rotor problems? 
           I would think that if there was something wrong with the brake symmetry the pads would wear unevenly. 

• Offline Maca

• Trophy Member  ‐    22

Offline Maca

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 TTSE
    • City / Town: Auchenblae
    Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2021, 08.29 am
    Oct 15, 2021, 08.29 am
    I've just had exactly the same problem.  First started noticing a slight vibration under braking then after only a few hundred miles more there was significant vibration on braking.  Measured runout and the right hand front disc was just within limits but the left hand one was twice the max runout...think it was 30 thou with max at 15.  Strangely, the bobbins on the right disc were all solid but the ones on the left were freeish, and also I believe the linked brake is the the right disc (but I may be wrong about that). 

So I fully expected the problem to be with the right disc but it wasn't.  Anyway, freeing up the bobbins helped a lot but didn't fix it so I took the plunge and replace both discs and pads.  EBC discs and Ferodo pads, I wanted EBC pads but couldn't get two sets in the UK when I was changing them and the guy in the shop said he believed the Ferodo pads were better than EBC.  Anyway, got them all changed and problem gone.  And now the brakes are so much better, they are nice and responsive without being too catchy.
    Last Edit: Oct 15, 2021, 08.34 am by Maca

• Offline HPTCC1

• Trophy Member  ‐    87

Offline HPTCC1

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Melbourne
    Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2022, 05.34 am
    Jan 14, 2022, 05.34 am
    Apologies in advance if I'm putting this in the wrong topic. This is simply my experience and I am posting this as a "for info" that may assist others. I bought my Trophy SE new in 2016. I suffered from the warped/shuddering front brakes when braking. I replaced both discs/pads at about 30000 kms with Triumph discs/pads. Shuddering/vibration when braking returned. This was despite doing the bobbin rotation every 1 to 2 thousand kms. Both disc/pads were replaced at 63000 kms with Metalgear discs and pads. At the advice of my very good service people I have not done the bobbins at all since fitting these discs/pads. I have had the 80000 km service done and recently clocked up 90000 kms so it went in for the fuel hose replacement when parts finally arrived. I mentioned that the only issue I have with the brakes is there is a squeal when braking, and also when I manhandle the bike around the garage without touching the brake lever. The brakes were checked , found to be ok. Copper paste was applied to brake pins and anti squeal plates. So my conclusion is that I am extremely happy with the Metalgear discs/pads after 27000 kms. I have no shudder whatsoever, the bike stops perfectly and they are cheaper than the Triumph discs/pads. I hope this may assist other riders.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2791

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2022, 07.19 am
    Jan 14, 2022, 07.19 am
    Good to Know. Thanks...
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Trophy Moderator   gb

• Forum Moderator
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    217

Offline Trophy Moderator

• Forum Moderator
    • Trophy Pro
    Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2022, 09.33 am
    Jan 14, 2022, 09.33 am
    *Originally Posted by Mikestrophy [+]
    Apologies in advance if I'm putting this in the wrong topic......

I have moved your comments and subsequent reply here, as the Topic originally posted to dealt with
    shudder caused by excessive play in the rear Final Drive Unit, and was not related to Front Brake problems.

Trophy Moderator

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2022, 02.58 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 02.58 pm
    *Originally Posted by Trophyed-Up [+]
        Why would the rear brake pads be so thin?  Front brakes do most the work when I'm riding.  Do the rear brakes have anything to do with the TCS ?  I'm not a speed obsessed sport bike rider.  I enjoy curvy back roads but I'm not scraping pegs and being crazy.  Still, rear brake pads finished in 16k miles does not seem right. 

I will pose three possible contributors to the premature rear brake wear: 1) The rear brake has been lightly dragging for a long time. The inexpensive Monoblock brake design lends itself to this possibility., 2) Keep in mind that there is just one rear brake rotor, and two in the front of larger diameter. That means that you rear brake pads are working twice as hard as the front, despite the fact that more braking force is being distributed to the front in a stop. 3)There's no doubt in my mind that our Trophy's braking systems are somewhat flawed. On the other hand, we also have to keep in mind that modern motorcycles take advantage of technology that applies the brakes without our physical input as well.

I used to pride myself on getting well over 50,000 miles out of a set of brake pads. Those days are long gone...