Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Possible Newbie...need opions on used year to buy!  (Read 733 times)

Offline harness

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Tropy SE
  • City / Town: mayville
Possible Newbie...need opions on used year to buy!
« on: October 17, 2021, 11:03:25 pm »
Hello from Wisconsin....I have been a Triumph owner since the 70's.  Have owned a 68 trophy, A 70 Trident(rebuilt it) , T140, then on to the 90's a early "Adventure" which got me back on trumps! Had two 2 TBS's  ..which I adored...Then had a Speed Triple..which I Loved(have never lost the need for speed).  Then I wanted to go touring ,but my budget forced me into a Kawasaki Concours(which for me was great) and then budget pulled me to the present Kawasaki 1000 Versys  .At 71, I want to go back to Triumph, In so many ways the last year versions...are all "figured out" but ...that budget situation has not changed!  I have my eye on a 2015 VERY low mileage and competitively priced, but can get 13 or 14 for a bit cheaper.  Whats the feeling and experience of members saying?
Hoping to be a Newbie!

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
Re: Possible Newbie...need opions on used year to buy!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 03:30:46 am »
Low miles and newer has always worked for me!
Seriously, my 2014 has been a treat from day one. Radio update...check, TPMS sensors...check. still has the original battery even after the initial radio fiasco 6 years ago.
These are very capable high speed touring bikes. Incredible range, excellent rider protection and more than enough power for this old guy.
Sad part is that not enough sales kept the party rolling. Not the bike's fault, just a changing demographic.  :002:
1978 Bonneville    1973 Trophy Trail TR5T
2012 Thruxton      1976 Hodaka ED250
2014 Trophy SE    1950 Vincent Rapide
1976 Yamaha RD400C 1969 Rickman 8 valve
1978 Yamaha DT400E

Offline digital

• Trophy God
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 08:23:20 am »
 :400: to the forum.
Obviously, if the price difference from one motorcycle to another is not much. I would stay with 2015. That already depends on the budget of each one.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Online 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 12:24:16 pm »
I bought a 2014 new and it was great after the radio update , I put almost 41,000 miles on it.
I exchanged the 2014 for a 2015 due to the 14 getting totaled the 2015 has newer cruise control buttons and for some reason feels a little powerful , I was told my 14 was slower due to it being silver and 2015 being blue🤔

Just know that Every 20,000 miles do you have a large service due.
Yes you’re getting it from an individual see if you can get some service records if you’re getting it from a dealer and it’s close to the 20,000 mile mark see if you can work a deal where are they comp you the 20,000 mile service or at least split it with them.
Buy the 2015 with the low miles it should save you money in the long run.
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Online Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 02:09:14 pm »
Hey neighbor!
As 2slow mentioned, the 2015 Model incorporated the only updates Triumph made, and by then the engine problems of the early release models was eliminated. I bought a leftover new 2015 in October of 2018, and it has been very reliable for the 40,000 miles that I’ve had it. I would recommend that you purchase the 2015, provided it has been properly cared for...
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline harness

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Tropy SE
  • City / Town: mayville
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 04:26:24 am »
Well as of next week ,I will be owning a 2015 Trophy with 7000 miles..priced low in the market considering all the higher mileage and older bike of choice. Ready for new and hopefully more comfortable long mile rides plus around home use. It has a corbin seat which allows me a Flat footed stance,,,,much appreciated after my Concours( a "toesey" for me} and the fact this will not be a lite weight motorcycle! I will enjoy the power(used to Triple engine on Speed Triple) and found the up shift the smoothest I have Ever had,,,but down shifts not as pleasant,,perhaps a better technique,

The only issue seems to be tire pressure read out on display,,,shows only front tire and eventually a red light showed ,  I assume there is something to be found in the chats area.

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 07:25:32 am »
harness welcome to Trophy ownership and of course this "great Forum'.  :821: :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 10:28:59 am »
Congratulations harness !  :152:

With the Tire Pressure Monitoring System ( TPMS ) there are a couple of things to consider :

1) When the battery voltage in the sensor drops through use after a few years
you will get a warning message on the Instrument Panel, and eventually no Pressure reading.
Triumph advise replacing the complete sensor, which is expensive, but thanks to the efforts
of our Members there are Topics in the Forum that describe how the battery can be replaced,
though this does require a little careful soldering, and is easier with the earliest type of sensor,
as later sensors had a type of "potting compound" that has to be removed.

Topic here : Replace TPMS Battery

Recently ( in the last year )  the sensor type has been updated again.
I don't have any information on changing the batteries for those.

2) If you are not interested in having the TPMS feature and want to disable it,
then you will need additional equipment to do so, that connects into the Diagnostics "OBD"
socket of the Trophy - which you will find attached to a plastic clip on top of the main battery.

"TigerTool" is FREE Software downloadable via the Forum, and it can be used to not only turn off
the warning messages / disable the TPMS system, but can be used to program IN new sensor(s)
if you were to buy some.  You would need to buy a compatible Connection cable interface from your PC
to the Trophy OBD Socket.  Details and Download available in this Topic :
How To Use TigerTool V3.1 Service Utility Software.

Alternatively there is "DealerTool" which is a commercially available after market package
comprising Windows based PC Software AND an Interface Cable.  DealerTool has many more
functions for Maintenance and Tests than the TigerTool software, and can also disable the TPMS Warning
Messages from appearing, but it can NOT ( currently ) program IN new TPMS Sensors. 
The Interface cable supplied with DealerTool DOES work with the free TigerTool software though,
so consider getting the DealerTool package AND the TigerTool software for the best of both worlds !
Link to DealerTool Web site : DealerTool - Triumph Home Diagnostics Solution

Cheers  :821:

tweedy-bunch