Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Screen bounce  (Read 1168 times)

• Online Division399   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    32
    • Topic Author

Online Division399

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '17 Triumph Trophy S
    Screen bounce
    on: Oct 28, 2021, 11.11 pm
    Oct 28, 2021, 11.11 pm
    I experience the screen 'bouncing' back to a higher position when holding down the switchgear to lower the screen. This was first noticed when approaching the rubber bump-stops at the lowest end of the adjustment range, but has more recently bounced back even close to the highest end of the range. In fact repeated, consecutive attempts resulted in the screen stepping progressively upwards (kind of a 1step down 2 steps up thing).

I read in another post that this may be due to mis-calibrated electronically set parameters that only the dealer can adjust (or someone with a dealer tool), but I am interested to know if there is a mechanical adjustment that might resolve the issue. I am guessing it is a feature to prevent the damage if something is obstructing the screen's path, right?

Does anyone have direct experience with resolving this?
    Last Edit: Oct 28, 2021, 11.18 pm by Division399

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4985

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Screen bounce
    Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2021, 12.50 am
    Oct 29, 2021, 12.50 am
    Yours is a very different sort of thing, and possibly Digital or coconut will be along shortly to offer some insight and troubleshooting advice.  If it moves a small amount it's probably going back to the default low limit position that is set.  The high limit and the low limit can be set with Dealertool or possibly even Tigertool.  I've never looked into it because I think mine is fine the way it was set at the factory.  Nothing to worry about.
    Last Edit: Oct 29, 2021, 12.53 am by trophied
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10074

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2021, 07.05 am
    Oct 29, 2021, 07.05 am
    The Screen mechanism has an "Anti-Trap" feature, similar to car powered windows,
    to prevent injury / damage if anything obstructs the free movement of the screen.
    ( Think of a child's arm sticking out of the window when the CLOSE button is pressed ).

My understanding is that the feature works by utilising one or more Hall effect sensors
    that detect the speed of movement of the screen, so that if it slows down,
    which would happen if the screen was obstructed, this is detected and the circuit switches
    the motor into the opposite direction.

I have had this happen on my screen a couple of times for no apparent reason,
    and it would appear that the Sensors may be a little over sensitive, or possibly reacting
    if low voltage is causing the screen motor to operate slower than specified.

A few things that you can try that may help the situation include :

Checking the Main Battery terminals are clean and tight, and that
    the Main Fuse holder internal contacts are clean and corrosion free.

Make sure the screen is mounted correctly so that the threaded bosses of the screen arms
    are located centrally within the screen holes, not touching the edges of the holes,
    to reduce any flexing of the Arms away from their normal position that may result in
    additional strain on the motor slowing it down.

Remove the four pivoting pins, ( taking care not to drop the little retaining circlips
    which will inevitably drop through into somewhere difficult to retrieve ! ),
    and ensure they are clean and free to rotate.  A little Silicone lubricant may help.

Using DealerTool a Test Routine can be performed,
    which resets the Upper and Lower limit points of the screen, which may also help.

Cheers  :821:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2831

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2021, 09.52 am
    Oct 29, 2021, 09.52 am
    Coconut has explained it well ...

Now I will add my own experience from screen glitches.

Mechanisms with motor included manufactured in 2012 (don't ask me why) because I don't have the answer to that, nor do I have any news that the motorcycles manufactured in that year complained about the malfunction of the screen. What is certain is that the screens manufactured in 2012 do not work correctly with one of the software updates that occurred after 2012.
    I know of two calibrations for the following VINs:

VIN Range: From 000000 up to 582450
    VIN Range: From up to 582451 onwards

With this calibration (VIN Range: From up to 582451 onwards) on displays manufactured in the year 2012, there are problems similar to the ones you mention.
    However, and I have been able to verify it, with screens manufactured after the years 2012 and 2013. There is no problem with one calibration or another.

So this is a small clarification that I take the opportunity to comment, which I do not think is your problem. Butů

What you can do is if you have the tools that Coconut mentions, is to calibrate the system again.

Finally, I leave two photos for you to see another possible cause. I have positioned the arrows so that you can see the grooves that sometimes slow down the sliding pivots. Either because the rubbers come off their housings, or because that protective plate has slightly bent grooves.

Last Edit: Oct 29, 2021, 09.58 am by digital
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline brenchley   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2021 Honda Gold Wing
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2021, 11.59 am
    Oct 29, 2021, 11.59 am
    This screen glitch will also occur with a low battery voltage and/or cold weather - down around 32⁰ F, 0⁰ C, though I would imagine temperature is not an issue just yet.
    Former 2014 Blue TTSE
    IBA #69644

• Trophy Member  ‐    32
    • Topic Author

Online Division399

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2021, 09.09 pm
    Oct 29, 2021, 09.09 pm
    Thank you all for the messages and tips so far. I will try to pay closer attention to conditions when this happens again and will see what I can do to remedy based on your advice.

• Trophy Member  ‐    32
    • Topic Author

Online Division399

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2021, 03.11 pm
    Nov 06, 2021, 03.11 pm
    An update. What I have observed now is that the bounce only happens when the bike is stationary, whether in neutral or in gear. As soon as the bike is moving the screen behaves as expected.

Does this trigger any new diagnostic thoughts?

• Offline brenchley   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2021 Honda Gold Wing
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2021, 03.59 pm
    Nov 06, 2021, 03.59 pm
    Still suggests a battery issue to me - once you start moving, the RPMs increase and the problem is alleviated.  When mine did that, it would start behaving once I got the RPMs up.  Or, if I put it on a battery tender, that would likewise take care of the problem.

When it occurred during sub-freezing temperature, it didn't matter, until it warmed up, it was going to do what it wanted.

In case you haven't realized it yet, this bike's voltage quirks start appearing with low battery voltage.
    Former 2014 Blue TTSE
    IBA #69644