Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Mods to reduce the weight of the Triumph, replace exhaust and battery?  (Read 1571 times)

• Offline aviseqdas   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline aviseqdas

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Dallas
    Mods to reduce the weight of the Triumph, replace exhaust and battery?
    on: Nov 14, 2021, 03.58 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 03.58 pm
    Hi, I am trying to reduce the weight of the bike for in city riding, offcourse I am planning on taking the panniers off and just use a cargo net.

I was looking at aftermarket exhaust and since it is just a slip on wondering what would be the cheapest option to drop that 15 lb stock exhaust.

I did see the recommendations for PipeWrex and Trident, both of which seems to have to purchase from UK.

I found these Delkevic exhaust and these are pretty cheap and can get to me here in Dallas pretty fast for less than $250/300.

https://delkevic.com/search.php?section=product&search_query=trophy&sort=priceasc

I am looking at the first 4, other than the length and weight what difference is between the 9", 18", 13" and 17?

In terms of looks I am liking this one the best

https://delkevic.com/stubby-13-stainless-steel-tri-oval-muffler-to-fit-trophy-se-1200-2013-2017/

Anyone has any experience with these exhausts?

Also which lithium batteries would be good replacement for the lead acid brick that the bike came with. I don't want to deal with Shorai, overprices, requires their own proprietary charger so any other brand that is cheaper and good quality?
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1480

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Re: Mods to reduce the weight of the Triumph, replace exhaust and batt
    Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2021, 04.08 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 04.08 pm
    I added a Trident exhaust to my Trophy, but didnít notice the difference in weight, given how low itís mounted on the motorcycle. I do like the sound better, though!

Swapping to a lighter weight battery might be more noticeable, given how high it is located. Ultimately, I donít believe that it will appreciably change slow speed maneuverability. Removing the Panniers is probably the biggest improvement you can make.

Letís face it, the Trophyís design places a lot of weight up high!  :034:

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2021, 05.20 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 05.20 pm
    I have the quietest Delkavic carbon fiber.  It is a lot lighter and only slightly louder.
    I notice the weight difference when I change the rear tire - because you have to remove it.  General riding not so much as it is mounted down so low and on a 700 pound bike, not a lot of overall change.
    Battery you may notice a little because of where it's mounted, but not worth some trade-offs.  I will stay AGM style.

BTW - my Delkavic has been on approx 35k and 4 1/2 years.
    Year round rider here!

• Offline Ade52   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    69

Offline Ade52

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
    • City / Town: Durham
    Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2021, 08.17 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 08.17 pm
    I fitted that Delkevic end can and it looks nice, sounds good throaty but not too loud,  stands way off the number plate compaired to stock and is a fraction of the weight compaired too stock. I agree with the comments above you don't notice the weight difference in traffic but still lightens the overall weight which you may notice when pushing it on the few occasions we have to and centre stand activity.  I have decided for next season to remove top box unless needed and if the battery packs up I may go for a hybrid one that weighs less as they are getting cheaper but I am not encouraging it to pack in and will keep the tender on it. I toured Scotland with the Triumph tank bag on this summer and I will be selling that soon, on here complete with fixings, when I get around to listing it. The reason for this decision is I travel solo and find it a bit bulky and with waterproof gear in it I noticed the high weight when compaired to removing it. I realised I could easily use a seat/tail bag which would keep the weight lower for my waterproof gear. I also notice by filling a half a tank of fuel when not touring is also noticable on slow manoeuvres. I cannot think of anything else that will reduce high up weight but at 61 years young with athritus I am open to any suggestions. A friend of mine bought one of these bikes after a ride out with me, had it 2 seasons (but sometimes 2 up) and sold it because of the weight. He swapped for a versys 1000 and told me riding it home for the first time noticed the wind and said where all the plastic gone.

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2021, 08.26 pm
    Nov 14, 2021, 08.26 pm
    Always trade offs. In reviews the TTSE scored super high in comfort and weather protection. It has a long range (big tank) and lots of amenities.

Trade off? More weight.

I just always park with leaving in mind (slopes, having to back it up, etc). You work with it to reap the benefits it provides.
    Year round rider here!

• Offline Merritt64   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    107

Offline Merritt64

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Calgary
    Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2021, 04.19 pm
    Nov 15, 2021, 04.19 pm
    I put a Shorai in mine and don't regret it.  I agree that they're expensive but like most things, you get what you pay for.  As far as requiring use of their proprietary charger, that isn't true.  I use a dedicated LiFePo4 charger but not theirs.  No issues.

• Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member  ‐    60

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lubsy, MD
    Re: Mods to reduce the weight of the Triumph, replace exhaust and battery?
    Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2022, 11.10 pm
    Aug 02, 2022, 11.10 pm
    I know this is a super-old topic but, what about making carbon fiber copies of some of the heavier plastic parts? This is an idea I'm exploring now but, I have a long way to go until I'm making parts.

• Offline bogie   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    13

Offline bogie

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: NE Notts
    Re: Mods to reduce the weight of the Triumph, replace exhaust and battery?
    Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2022, 11.11 am
    Aug 05, 2022, 11.11 am
    You could have all the plastic made in carbon fibre, but would probably cost more than the value of the bike.

I went for the easy win, picked up a used Remus exhaust on ebay, that saved over 4kg and another 6 kg by fitting Noco lithium battery. The latter is more noticeable because the battery is high up on the bike. easy 10Kg saved

Other "bolt on" ways to save a lot of weight could be custom made titanium headers, about £1000. I have some on another bike, they saved about 7Kg in weight

Then you could have carbon fibre wheels for £3k, I have these on another bike, they make a fantastic difference to how easy the bike turns in, can save another 5-10Kg depending how heavy the originals are. Issue is the Trophy was a low volume bike and out of production so none of the wheel manufacturers make a carbon wheel, so would cost more to get custom made up.

If a standard Trophy is 301kg wet, you could probably get it down to 275Kg ish.
    Last Edit: Aug 05, 2022, 11.29 am by bogie