Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: handlebar shake  (Read 10569 times)

Offline kurtmartin1027

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Trenton
handlebar shake
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:29:20 AM »
I have 1500 miles on my tree. I notice so e back and forth sham not to terrible but noticeable.  Is this because of a balance issue.  Not new to riding. just wondering if I am the only one.  Any input is appreciated   
It may not be legal but I have a Dr's note!

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
Re: handlebar shake
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 06:38:21 AM »
Check the other thread Kurt, "Slight vibe in the front end".

Seems all those who reported that problem have had an issue with the tyre/wheel balance. Yours will probably be the same.
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline kurtmartin1027

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:44:02 AM »
I saw that.  I posted this before I searched...  whoops

Offline ibdye

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Abingdon, VA
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
Kurt,

You are not alone.  I just picked up a trophy SE with 804 miles,  the darned thing shakes like mad in the 40-55 mile per hour range.  The steering head bearings feel great with no slack.  Measured the run-out on my front rim and it is out of spec.  The local dealership initially replaced the front tire, no improvement.  They then put a front wheel from a showroom bike on mine and it improved the shake but didn't eliminate it.  The are calling triumph to see what they say about the situation.  I'll keep you posted if they find a solution.

Offline kurtmartin1027

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I went in for a coolant leak and asked about the shake. They were optimistic at best.  But it may have been in my delivery because I was more focused on the coolant than the shake.  No disrespect to my dealer they have been great.  Now my focus is this issue.  Thank you for keeping me posted.  Hopefully we can all get this worked out.   

Offline edge

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: Littlehampton
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »
Mine has also developed a handlebar wobble at between 40-50. Its into the dealer tomorrow to get the headbearings tightened. My trophy only has 3700miles. It will be interesting to see if they can fix it.....I'll let you all know.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:35:06 AM »
I've been mounting and balancing my own tires since I was a kid.  First thing I noticed was the mass of weights on the SE wheels.  This screams 'wrong' to me but it may be to counteract the weight of the tire pressure sensors mounted at the valve stem...  I'll see when I mount new tires, I always check the balance of the naked rim first and find the true heavy side and mark it for 'dotted' tires.. 

By the way, my SE exhibits no headshake, but the brakes do kind of pulse on slowing, like my Chevvy with warped rotors does, hopefully there is some other reason for that.. or maybe it does have to do with that pesky TPS machinery..
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 02:02:24 AM »
I have changed/balanced two fronts and a rear myself so far.  Yes, they take a butt load of weights opposite of the tire sensor.  I keep forgetting to balance the empty wheel, to see if the sensors are the cause, but after three tires probably a waste of time, its the sensors.

Regarding your brakes:  I purchased my trophy used, and the brakes had a slight pulse.  9000 miles later my brakes are silky smooth.  A theory of mine, motorcycle brakes are meant to be used hard.  I am pretty sure beating my sport bike buddies in the twisties heated the brakes up and cleaned them up nicely. :002:  Do a track day at Road America, I bet your brakes will clean up and work smoother.:001:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:12:26 AM by triucati »