Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Were not bike fit !  (Read 6320 times)

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
Were not bike fit !
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:54:13 pm »
Someone said to me once you need to get bike fit, which made sense. We have just visited the outlaws in Devon so that's just under 250 miles away ( that depends on where you start ! ) although I have ridden bikes since I was 13 I/we havn't done much touring its more nipping into a town perhaps an hour away or hour and a half tops, we did go to Gent once about ten years ago. I found the journey to Devon quite tiring, we did stop half way but my shoulders were aching by the time we got to Devon, the wife had a soar butt too. The intercom packed up the day before we left so we had no communication or radio which I think made a difference aswell.

Next year we intend to have a go at touring Scotland, we live in the south east coast so it will be quite a trip, we will brake it up and stop with our son near Durham, and after that I think we will be ok but.

I think the key is probably to stop every couple of hours to have a cuppa and break. I have great respect to those of you who tour covering so many miles !!!

The bike behaved very well, we were loaded up with the panniers, topbox and tank bag full but the bike never felt very heavy the balance of it is VERY good, I even managed to get the bike up on the stand loaded up which is good considering I'm only a little fella is quite impressive.

The tyre pressure warning came up on the rear when we stopped after being on the motorway for some time, I went to the rear of the bike and give the tyre a good boot and the pressure seemed fine, so we carried on, other than that all was well, we averaged 53 to the gallon so that's pretty good.

We just need to get bike fit ! ( and get the intercom fixed )

Roger

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Were not bike fit !
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:56:07 pm »
Yes, if you don't do long trips very often, even on a bike like the Trophy it can be a challenge!

As you say, break the trip down into smaller legs. Stop and stretch the legs from time to time. You will be surprised the distance you can cover then!

I remember I used to ride from Inverness to Worcester on a GPZ 600 only stopping for fuel. First  time I did it virtually had to be winched off!
 :745: :745:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:40:49 am »
Well here in Texas a short trip is 100 to 150, at least for me.  Heck it is 50 miles for me just o get in to what I would consider country.  A relaxing ride is more like 250 to 350.  For example I just went to San Antonio and back today.  A bit over 400 miles.  Not at all unusual in a State somewhat larger  than France.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:17:50 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200
  • City / Town: Wolverhampton
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:38:03 am »
Hydration is an issue. Keeps your mind sharp and your body fresh. Of course - you do have to stop more frequently..

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:52:23 am »
I agree with all posts. You do get fitter each day riding. When I get home the first couple of trips usually around 100mile just get me used to the bike again, but after that it all gels back together and my distance increases.
Regular stops for a cuppa and water intake does help.

But the trophy is a comfortable bike anyway.

Seadog
seadog

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:32:51 am »
I find that riding fitness is a bit like riding a bicycle - if you miss doing it for a week you can feel that it is just that bit more effort.  500kms days would be a normal dayride, but I often do 900km plus return day trips to meet up with other riders.  It is those trips where it is 1000kms every day for a week that initially start getting to you, but after a while you get into it.  It is good to have a short day/day off though, and it feels good to get home.

If we had more interesting things every mile here I am sure doing distances would be something only for holidays.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »
*Originally Posted by saaz [+]

If we had more interesting things every mile here I am sure doing distances would be something only for holidays.
I can relate to that :0461:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 06:04:54 pm »
*Originally Posted by Roger [+]
Someone said to me once you need to get bike fit, which made sense. We have just visited the outlaws in Devon so that's just under 250 miles away ( that depends on where you start ! ) although I have ridden bikes since I was 13 I/we havn't done much touring its more nipping into a town perhaps an hour away or hour and a half tops, we did go to Gent once about ten years ago. I found the journey to Devon quite tiring, we did stop half way but my shoulders were aching by the time we got to Devon, the wife had a soar butt too. The intercom packed up the day before we left so we had no communication or radio which I think made a difference aswell.

Next year we intend to have a go at touring Scotland, we live in the south east coast so it will be quite a trip, we will brake it up and stop with our son near Durham, and after that I think we will be ok but.

I think the key is probably to stop every couple of hours to have a cuppa and break. I have great respect to those of you who tour covering so many miles !!!

The bike behaved very well, we were loaded up with the panniers, topbox and tank bag full but the bike never felt very heavy the balance of it is VERY good, I even managed to get the bike up on the stand loaded up which is good considering I'm only a little fella is quite impressive.

The tyre pressure warning came up on the rear when we stopped after being on the motorway for some time, I went to the rear of the bike and give the tyre a good boot and the pressure seemed fine, so we carried on, other than that all was well, we averaged 53 to the gallon so that's pretty good.

We just need to get bike fit ! ( and get the intercom fixed )

Roger

That's the answer, take a break every 1.5 to 2hrs.

I wouldn't bother getting the intercom fixed.................you wont get the earache when the other half gets the butt ache!!!! :745: