Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: From SoCal to Reno. Big Trees, Big Mountains, Fast Airplanes  (Read 3736 times)

Offline JRickW

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy-Blue
  • City / Town: SoCal
From SoCal to Reno. Big Trees, Big Mountains, Fast Airplanes
« on: September 22, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
This is what the Trophy was made for, riding through beautiful mountains to see amazing things.  I was not disappointed in the trip or the bike.  In a word, FANTASTIC!  The only problem I had with the bike was that it didn't want to stop to let me take pictures.  She just kept her nose into the wind.

Of course, when you are in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, I did manage to coax her to stop for a shot or two.  The first day was a ride through Sequoia National Forest and Sequoia National Park.  Sequoia is known for somewhat biggish trees.

The second day was to have me cross the Sierras.  It was my intention to ride through Yosemite National Park but a very large fire was burning north of the park and would have potentially blocked my exit, so I changed plans and crossed the Sierras on CA Route 4.  What a LUCKY change in plans.  Route 4 was amazing.  The road wound its way up, decreasing from a dual four lane road, to a two lane, and the finally to a narrow, tight, winding, stunning strip of asphalt up and over the mountains through Ebbett's Pass.

The Air Races were the destination and I really enjoyed them but the journey was the highlight.  While at the air races, there were not only the planes racing but lot's of demonstration flights and static displays.  Since I ride a Triumph, it was only fitting to take a shot or two of the Spitfire.

The ride back was past Lake Tahoe, through the Sierras and then down the western foothills.  All along the foothills, I was riding through gold rush era towns.

Here is a link to the photos on Flickr.  There are a couple more and of course in full resolution. The trip (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99876629@N02/sets/72157635774062275/) and the races (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99876629@N02/sets/72157635774863406/)

And since I am an engineer, here are a few statistics: (normal people can stop reading now)
Total Miles = 1428.7 actual, bike trip odometer reported 1412.9 (a little over 1% low)
Total Gas = 30.5 US gal actual, bike trip computer reported 28.9 US gal (about 5% low)
Average MPG (US) = 46.8 actual, bike trip computer reported 48.9 (5% higher)
Time in saddle: 31.2 hours
Average MPH: 45.8 actual, bike trip computer reported 48.7 (this is the well understood speedometer reads high.  In my case, about 6% high)

It was fun.

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
Re: From SoCal to Reno. Big Trees, Big Mountains, Fast Airplanes
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 01:37:16 AM »
Thanks, Rick. Great pics, and obviously a great area to ride in. A top ride report. :460:
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 03:18:01 AM »
Great photography!  I've never tried route 4 but will have to do so on my next visit to CA.  I usually find myself in northern CA about every other year. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:42:26 AM »
Beautiful stuff Rick. Love the Spitfire pics too.
We are planning on riding from San Fran through Tahoe and Yosemite to Denver next year so I read your post with interest. Is Tahoe worth the detour if we are heading to Yosemite?

Simon
Simon

Offline JRickW

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy-Blue
  • City / Town: SoCal
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 06:04:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Simons Trophy [+]
Is Tahoe worth the detour if we are heading to Yosemite?
The western side is lovely.  However, the towns are very touristy (that is their main business).  Frankly, I would take every extra moment for Yosemite.  My wife and I love that place.  Also, try to get to Route 49 to ride south.  It is a nice road with interesting towns along the way.  It is in the foothills so it is cooler than riding the slab in the valley.  Have a great trip!

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:05:38 AM »
Great pictures, thanks  :046:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
Many thanks for posting the pics and what a great writeup!
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
Hi J....

thanks for the great write up and pics.... quite jealous of some of the scenery and countryside you have to play in over there!

Kevin
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch