Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Cam chain rattle  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
Cam chain rattle
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
I believe a few people have had this issue on start up.  My bike was fine but for the last few starts (in colder weather) I am getting what I believe is a cam chain rattle which is loud enough to hear quite clearly and it doesn't sound good.  For anyone who has dealt with this did the dealer install a new cam chain tensioner - is there a redesign for this part?  Has anyone experienced a catastrophic failure relating to this situation or is it one of those things that we are going to be told "They all do that". 
In my case, there was no noise for about 2500 miles and now it is evident only on the first start of the day.  Metallic rattling sound that goes away in a matter of seconds. 
Thanks

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
Re: Cam chain rattle
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »
I recently posted this in another thread that was discussing engine problems.

Add me to the list of people who have heard a cam chain type rattle on startup.

The tensioner should never allow uncontrolled cam chain tension which leads to uncontrolled cam/valve action.  This engine has an interference design which will allow the valves to come into contact with the pistons if the cam is far enough out of time bending them.

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »
have you been to the dealer yet or are you planning on going?  I'm waiting on the gas tank recall parts and would of course love to make one trip.  I wont be riding the bike much in the next few weeks.

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »
My dealer knows about the problem.  He said that there aren't any service bulletins (SB) covering this issue yet but he'd let me know if they receive one.  He also suggested that I write or call Triumph NA.  He says that NA dealers have little influence on Triumph.

If this becomes a SB, that would make at least three very important safety/reliability repairs that need to be made to our motorcycles; throttle position sensor, engine overheating and now a possible cam chain problem.  I thought that this engine/drive train combination was fully developed in the Tiger, why are we having these issue?

--Papermaker

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »
That is my question exactly.  I really like this bike and understand that sometimes new technology can result in some issues.  But, I thought this motor was well sorted out already and/or at least it would have been well tested before release.