Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: GPS wiring ?  (Read 781 times)

• Offline MotorMatt   ca

• Trophy Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline MotorMatt

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy Se
    • City / Town: Shelburne Ontario
    GPS wiring ?
    on: Mar 08, 2022, 03.03 am
    Mar 08, 2022, 03.03 am
    Hi all!

I promised I did a search, and found a thread that I think answers this question, except no pictures would load so I can’t be sure!

I hope this is the right section….

I hardwired a Garmin 396 LMT-S on the bike direct to the battery.  Then I remembered an old GPS unit I used to have had a parasitic draw all the time on one of my old bikes.  In that case, I had to install a waterproof rockerswitch to shut off power or the battery would go dead after some time.

After installing the Garmin tonight, I searched on here, and I read there is a dedicated Navigation power plug somewhere behind the left mirror but I cannot find it…the “pictures” in the thread were blank so I couldn’t be sure I was looking in the right spot. I am not concerned about audio through the speakers; I have it Bluetooth paired to my Domio Audi on my helmet and tested it with great results.

Is there any parasitic amp draw wiring this unit direct to the battery?  Is it still there when GPS is uncradled?  I left my multimeter/amp meter at work so couldn’t check and won’t be back in to work until next week.  :012:

If this is an issue, i would prefer to wire it into the dedicated plug if it is keyed with the ignition, but when I pulled the mirror back I didn’t see it.  Or is it hidden behind a bunch of the fairings or plastics?

Thanks!

MotorMatt
    1982 Yamaha Vision 550, 1986 Yamaha Maxim X 750, 1986 Honda Nighthawk 650, 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom 900, 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero SE 1700, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE.  Restoration projects - 1973 Jawa 350 and two 1969 Triumph Trophy TR25W

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9941

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: GPS wiring ?
    Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2022, 07.44 am
    Mar 08, 2022, 07.44 am
    I can't answer the question about parasitic current draw on your particular device.

Most Images on the Forum are only visible when you are Logged on,
    though there are still quite a few from "Photobucket" who no longer
    support Photo's being hosted on other web sites such as this Forum !

The dedicated power ( and Audio ) connector is tucked away behind the painted panel
    surrounding the left Indicator, and is below mirror height.

Open the mirror out of its pod, disconnect the Indicator wiring plug
    by pushing the spring clip inwards to free the latch, and remove the single
    large button headed bolt, while holding the indicator in place so it doesn't,t drop on the floor and break !
    Swing the outer edge of the indicator out of the housing. then move it towards the outside
    of the bike to free it's inner retaining peg.

Removal of the indicator reveals another button headed bolt ( small head ) holding the Painted panel in place.

Removethat bolt then carefully pull the panel towards the front of the bike.
    There is another one of those pegs into a rubber grommet on the headlight side
    of the Painted panel that is freed as your move the panel forwards.

You should then be able to see and access the connector.
    Photo below has the complete Fairing removed, but you can reference
    the location of the connectors from the part of the headlamp in the image :

There is ( or used to be ) a Triumph Accessory Connector that plugs into the Power Socket,
    but it seems these are no longer available from Triumph.

Let me know if you need one - I can probably help as I have
    made up some of these in the past for Members to buy  !

• Offline jimxlhr8   nz

• Trophy Member  ‐    21

Offline jimxlhr8

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Rolleston
    Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2022, 11.29 am
    Mar 08, 2022, 11.29 am
    It's worth mentioning that the factory GPS connectors can be well tucked away and secured by velcro (like mine).
    I just cut off the factory GPS connector plug (as its only 2 wires) and used a couple of posi-lock connectors to join my wiring for my Tom Tom GPS

• Offline MotorMatt   ca

• Trophy Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline MotorMatt

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2022, 02.42 pm
    Mar 08, 2022, 02.42 pm
     :763:

Wow!  The prompt, detailed assistance from Thai forum never ceases to amaze me!!  Thanks guys!!!!simply amazing!

Tonight I am going to re-route the GPS wiring and use the dedicated Nav wires. 

As always, I am forever greatful for the support and assistance!  :020: :001:

MotorMatt
    1982 Yamaha Vision 550, 1986 Yamaha Maxim X 750, 1986 Honda Nighthawk 650, 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom 900, 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero SE 1700, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE.  Restoration projects - 1973 Jawa 350 and two 1969 Triumph Trophy TR25W

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4881

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2022, 03.01 pm
    Mar 08, 2022, 03.01 pm
    If you have an audio jack on your gps, connecting to the audio plug next to the gps power cable you can get the gps audio through the Trophy's system.  Mine is all bluetooth so I don't bother putting it through the Trophy's audio system.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline MotorMatt   ca

• Trophy Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline MotorMatt

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2022, 01.26 am
    Mar 09, 2022, 01.26 am
    Excellent advice.  Re-routes wiring to the dedicated Nav plug!  All in all a quick 20min job. 

Thanks everyone!

MotorMatt

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    582

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2022, 12.21 pm
    Mar 15, 2022, 12.21 pm
    just fyi, newer Garmin units do not shut down like the older units.  I run both a Zumo XT and a Dezl 770 and both have a 'sleep' mode rather than a shut down.  When you turn the ignition off, the units display a shutdown message with a countdown timer.  This countdown is to put the unit in sleep mode.  While in sleep mode the unit is still 'on' and in a state for rapid wake up.  I don't know if there is a parasitic draw on the bike electrical system or not in the case of a hard wired installation.  I have both units connected to a switched fuse block so in my situation, the gps battery will eventually run down.  It's a pain in the a$$ to get the gps units to charge and wake up in this state.

To fully shutdown a modern Garmin GPS you have to press and hold the power button for 3-5 seconds until you get a power off message.  This is a full shutdown and will extend the charge on the unit while not in use.  I hope this helps.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
    IBA #609

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    652

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2022, 06.50 pm
    Mar 15, 2022, 06.50 pm
    *Originally Posted by jimxlhr8 [+]
    It's worth mentioning that the factory GPS connectors can be well tucked away

I agree...... the location is approximate and dependent on where an engineer / service mechanic has chosen to tuck it away.  On my second Trophy it was a needle in a haystack job to find the damn connectors....and losing a bit of skin of the fingers is also a possibility trying to fish them out!
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB