Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Flickering lights at idle  (Read 781 times)

• Offline GhostRiderZZ   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline GhostRiderZZ

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Bedfordshire
    Flickering lights at idle
    on: Mar 23, 2022, 05.16 pm
    Mar 23, 2022, 05.16 pm
    Hello all,

I have just joined the forum after purchasing a fabulous Trophy SE last month!!

This forum has already been invaluable as have completed a few bits of general maintenance since purchasing the bike....even though it came from a dealership, I always like to go over a pre owned bike just to make sure everything is just so.

Well, on my ride back from the dealership, when the light outside started to dim and I could notice the dashboard lights and headlights a bit more...I noticed they would almost flicker, or pulse when coming to a stop. It was if the electrical system had trouble catching up.

First thing I did was to replace the battery as the existing one was not holding charge that well over night ... But this didnt solve the issue.

I did come across a post on this forum - apologies that I cannot remember who posted it - which mentioned this issue and stated they had the battery lead (lead between Battery, alternator, main fuse and solenoid) replaced and this solved the issue.

Well, I went right on and ordered a new cable from world of triumph...it was under 10 and arrived in no time.

It was a bit of a mission removing the old cable as had to lift the fuel tank, however this gave me the chance to go around and sort a few other issues (ticking at 2500rpm was loose exhaust manifold bolts not sealing exhaust properly) anyway....

When I got the old cable out, I tested its resistance using a multifunction tester (Im an electrician by trade) to find the old cable was reading v high resistance between the grounding point and the entry into the main fuse holder. Wiggling the bottom of the fuse holder made the resistance values go all over the shop.

New cable had super low resistance....and has totally solved the issue.

So to note, im guessing the cable entry into the 40a fuse holder becomes a bit loose over time, probably as it sits on top of the battery and is moved around a fair bit by people removing battery and accessory leads etc..

It may be possible to fix this issue in situ by just looking where the cable goes into the back of the fuse holder for those that want an easy fix.

Anyway, I noticed that this seemed to be quite a common issue with people commenting it occured from nearly new....so hopefully this helps!

Im going to attempt to attach some photos, but as its my first post im not too hopeful. Hopefully it works.

Cheers folks, ride safe!

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Flickering lights at idle
    Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2022, 05.32 pm
    Mar 23, 2022, 05.32 pm
     :400: to the forum

That's right, that's the problem with the lights and the dashboard. I remember commenting on it in a post. Also add that when that happens, sometimes the green light on the gearbox also lights up when, for example, you go from first gear to second and of course, on that route it goes through neutral and makes the light come on witness.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Trophy Member  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline GhostRiderZZ

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2022, 05.43 pm
    Mar 23, 2022, 05.43 pm
    Thanks for the welcome!!!

:763:

Seems like a great forum this....lots of knowledge and not too many ego's arguing every last point!

Ive had a few bikes over the years, currently have a Moto Guzzi v12 sport and a Grom in the garage, but have done the big touring bike thing to death - hunting for the perfect do it all bike.

Well, back in 2013 I nearly purchased a Trophy SE new when I was hunting for a comfy 2-up tourer....and WISH that I did.

I ended up going safe option and purchasing a new Pan European as it was 0% finance and a great deal....however, I noticed I was just needing something with a tiny bit more pep, so I went for a lovely vfr1200 in white and black....stunning bike ... But I just never gelled with it, buffeting was awful and couldnt do owt about it, it was not that comfy and while it was fast, it didnt seem to handle all that great. I got rid after a year. Since then, I have been through a multitude of big touring bikes....last one was a GTR1400 Kawasaki (or concourse in the US). Well, great fast bike, but lacking in low down torque and handled the twistys like a bit of a boat, I kept thinking back about the Pan....they are seriously underrated bikes. So, was going to bite the bullet on another Pan and thought sod it, why not try a Trophy. Well, so glad I did....great power, feels it too with a decent dollop of low down drive...seems to handle well though have not yet given it a proper workout, sounds the part and love the weather protection, radio (absolute 80's via phone bluetooth) and the heated seats. The missus loves it too which is awesome !

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2022, 06.07 pm
    Mar 23, 2022, 06.07 pm
    The truth is that it is a great motorcycle and very noble, plumb in the curves and never disappoints you. Over time you will realize that this is the case.  :821: :821: :821:
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Trophy Member  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline GhostRiderZZ

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2022, 06.11 pm
    Mar 23, 2022, 06.11 pm
     :821:

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4913

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2022, 06.36 pm
    Mar 23, 2022, 06.36 pm
    It seems to me, though I'm no expert rider, to be extremely stable in the twisties and stays right where you put it without any wallowing given the right suspension settings for the type of road.  I do notice a difference between the "normal" setting compared to "comfort", but it requires a bit better road to be a smooth ride.  The "sport" setting for me is much too harsh except on the very best paving, but when the right conditions exist it is definitely different.  Mine is lowered so it doesn't have quite the clearance of a stock height, but it can still get far enough over for me.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10005

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2022, 06.37 pm
    Mar 23, 2022, 06.37 pm
    Cheers GhostRiderZZ  :821:

For the benefit of other Members,
    the Cable you replaced is likely to be this one : T2502504

It seems to be priced ridiculously low,  ( GBP 6.77 at World of Triumph ) so I bought one
    to keep as a spare, even though I don't have the low Rev's Headlight Flicker ( Yet ) !

• Trophy Member  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline GhostRiderZZ

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2022, 07.02 pm
    Mar 23, 2022, 07.02 pm
    Hey,

Thanks for the replies :001:

Yep Coconut, thats the cable....good idea to get one in for a bit of preventative maintenance!!

Re the handling...I have been riding since 2006...and in 2020 during lockdown had a bit of a riding epiphany, I thought to myself, what rides do I look back on and remember ... And NONE of them were motorway/highway crazy fast rides....they were all about the smaller twisty backroads. So as a 40th birthday prezzie to myself, during lockdown I treated myself to a little Grom...what a fun little bike! It made me re-calibrate my brain to remember what type of riding I enjoy and has ultimately led me back to the trophy. Ive had some fast bikes (Vfr1200), and some great handling bikes in the past (cbr600rr) and have done my fair share of riding, and can say even after only a short ownership that im going to enjoy the trophy.

It seems totally bonkers that its been discontinued, especially as im not the greatest fan of the 1200/1250rt that is clearly the reason for its demise.

While I do like the boxer engined bikes, any serious touring fan will realise they have so many issues unless youre purchasing new with warranty....final drive splines lack of greasing....crazy expensive clutch replacement costs...leaking seals...etc etc..

The Trophy I have just purchased has 53,000 miles on the clock....I have dismantled a fair bit of it so far and am astounded at the condition for a 2013 bike with such mileage. I know Triumph are not the final word in reliability and build quality, especially at present (look into the issues the latest speed triple owners are having) but after working on numerous Jap bikes over the years...I am pleasantly surprised!

I will get round to posting a comparison between the Trophy and some of the other bikes I have owned...but for the moment, I can deffo confirm its a great all round bike which I am seriously looking forward to getting some miles on!

tweedy-bunch