Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Downshift irregularities  (Read 1146 times)

• Offline MidnightSE

• Trophy Member  ‐    50
    • Topic Author

Offline MidnightSE

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Seattle
    Downshift irregularities
    on: Mar 29, 2022, 10.45 am
    Mar 29, 2022, 10.45 am
    Lately, I've been noticing on occasion when the gearbox is in 3rd gear and under light throttle or coasting, an attempt to downshift to 2nd results in transmission shifting into Neutral. Normally, there is a mechanical clunk between shifts. When the above-mentioned occurs, there is no clunk. It feels much like when the gearbox shifts into Neutral from 2nd gear.
    >It is completely random. I cannot replicate it at will.
    It is annoying and at times even unnerving, especially when downshifting before the turn. You suddenly feel the gearbox has shifted in Neutral, the bike's suspension becomes completely unloaded causing unpredictable behavior.

I don't what to think of it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers...

Last Edit: Mar 29, 2022, 10.50 am by MidnightSE

• Offline Ade52   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    63

Offline Ade52

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
    • City / Town: Durham
    Re: Downshift irregularities
    Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2022, 12.24 pm
    Mar 29, 2022, 12.24 pm
    When I purchased my TTSE it had just had the gearbox repaired under warranty for slipping into neutral from 3rd (a problem highlighted in a post on here). The gearbox was silky smooth so I decided not to return the bike after 30 day trial. After doing about 2000 miles I found shifting very difficult especially from 1st to 2nd and I thought not again. I decided to get some spacers made to replace poorly designed shifter and brake bolts and make the spacer and bolt separate instead of being combined (another issue detailed in a post on this site). When I dismantled the gear linkage I discovered that road grit and grease had accumulated around the shifter bolt. Replaced with new spacers, bolt and new grease and now gearbox shift is silky smooth. On close examination of shifter bolt I noticed that it was slightly bent which would lead to bolt breakage and stiff shift coupled with the grit and grease. Try this first but don't run the bike until it is done or you may bring on the bent shifter forks. Good luck its just that shifter bolt issue. Let us know your outcome.    :007:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2022, 01.09 pm
    Mar 29, 2022, 01.09 pm
    Have a look at this Topic which details a modified Gear Selector Drum and Selector Forks
    fitted to Engines after Engine number 752515, which can be retro fitted to earlier engines.

Triumph Tech News #168 Modified Gear Selector

Cheers

Last Edit: Mar 29, 2022, 04.23 pm by Coconut

• Offline swilkins65   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    41

Offline swilkins65

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Phoenix
    Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2022, 06.10 pm
    Mar 29, 2022, 06.10 pm
    Shifting issues just means the "Bike has character" right?  I'm riding a 2013 with just over 25,000 miles on it that I've had for just over a year.  I have occasional shifting issues going up and down in gears (especially up 1-to-2-to-3 under heavy throttle) but have just figured its an indication that I need to improve my shifting skills and I've never had a moment where I couldn't get to a gear with a pause and a little thoughtful effort.  Once on a coast to a stop (clutch pulled in) I had it drop from 2nd to neutral without me initially noticing it. Has anyone been in a situation where these parts had to be replaced?  Wear and tear is certainly going to occur and at some point some part is going to fail or need to be replaced I just don't know yet, being newer to this party, if I should start stocking up on parts if I want to ride this bike to its 100,000 mile point.

• Offline MidnightSE

• Trophy Member  ‐    50
    • Topic Author

Offline MidnightSE

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2022, 10.43 pm
    Mar 29, 2022, 10.43 pm
    Many thanks, guys!
    I've noticed this strange shifting after the bike had sat for 4 mo.
    I'll give the shifting mechanism a proper cleaning.
    I hope it is not the drum and forks.   :033:

Cheers...

• Offline sin_tiger   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    518

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
    • City / Town: Maybole
    Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2022, 10.59 pm
    Mar 30, 2022, 10.59 pm
    I have experienced similar a few times after the bike has been unused between services but it was before the selector modification came to light. I simply dismantled the pedal and linkage, gave everything a good clean and applied fresh grease, I use CV joint grease for a lot of exposed parts. It resolved the selection issue and hasn't recurred but I do apply fresh grease every time I'm doing a freshen up.

I didn't immediately suspect the external mechanism as the issue because selection 2-3 & 3-4 were the changes that seemed more affected and mostly on down changes, I would surmise that the mechanical advantage between the fork and drum is not the same for all gears or perhaps it's a function of the relative rotational velocities between the gears.

• Offline MidnightSE

• Trophy Member  ‐    50
    • Topic Author

Offline MidnightSE

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2022, 03.36 am
    Apr 11, 2022, 03.36 am
    I've finally got around to servicing the pesky shifter mechanism.

After a proper wash, clean, and lube, the whole mechanism feels a lot smoother. 

Cheers...

• Offline MidnightSE

• Trophy Member  ‐    50
    • Topic Author

Offline MidnightSE

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2022, 06.38 am
    Apr 23, 2022, 06.38 am
    Flushed clutch slave cylinder and shift mechanism service haven't improved the 3rd-to-N occasional hiccups.
    I've spoken to the service manager at the local Triumph dealer and the lead tech. Both concurred it is most likely a fault with the shifting mechanism, more like the selector shaft isn't catching 2nd gear at times(something with a detent spring?). Lead tech dismissed forks as the culprit, as it would make down shift skip a regular occurrence, and not occasional. 
    The bad is most places have parts on backorder.
    But there is hope. I'll know more Monday.

I reckon it will be a healthy repair bill as I will combine it with 20K service.