Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Food warmer, has anyone tried one?  (Read 1044 times)

• Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro  ‐    146
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Lunar Silver SE
    • City / Town: Chicago area
    Food warmer, has anyone tried one?
    on: Apr 30, 2022, 09.50 pm
    Apr 30, 2022, 09.50 pm
    I've been on the Keto diet for several years now, so combine that with never knowing where I'll be when it's lunch time, I always pack a lunch to take with me. Usually it's just a sandwich and some chips, then some sugar free gelatin. However I've been thinking it would be nice to be able to have something warm or even hot sometimes, and was looking at one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Upgraded-Portable-Personal-Reheating-Gathering-dp-B08YJ1LBZC/dp/B08YJ1LBZC/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen?th=1. It should fit in the top case just fine, has anyone else tried something similar? I'm thinking it would work great to heat up some hot dogs with chili sauce!

• Offline ChiefMn   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    17

Offline ChiefMn

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: St. Paul
    Re: Food warmer, has anyone tried one?
    Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 02.09 am
    May 01, 2022, 02.09 am
    Get a soup thermos. Mine will keep hot food hot for 5 or 6 hours

• Offline bogie   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    15

Offline bogie

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: NE Notts
    Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 09.10 pm
    May 01, 2022, 09.10 pm
    I have a similar model thats a 12v heated lunchbox. Used in the car extensively when Im being the support driver for a friend who competes in ultra marathon and Iron man events.

Never thought of using it on the bike, but it could work great in the top box.

Ive used it for keeping burgers and sandwiches warm and cooking, the lunchbox form factor is great because its sealed and no spill. You could put some food in it and leave it warming for 30 mins whilst riding.

Im planning a touring trip and camping soon, and will add the lunchbox to my kit list as well as a gas stove :)

• Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro  ‐    146
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 09.28 pm
    May 01, 2022, 09.28 pm
    *Originally Posted by bogie [+]

Ive used it for keeping burgers and sandwiches warm and cooking, the lunchbox form factor is great because its sealed and no spill. You could put some food in it and leave it warming for 30 mins whilst riding.

I've seen that style too and it's nice to know that they work! They are a little more expensive than the one I was looking at, but it might be better in the long run since they look to be a little more rugged.

The Thermos isn't a bad idea, but I don't think it would work for burgers or the leftover meatloaf I have in my fridge  :008:

• Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro  ‐    146
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 10.13 pm
    May 07, 2022, 10.13 pm
    I ended up buying this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B19YWS3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and gave it a try today. I am very impressed! I loaded it up about 45 minutes before I was going to have lunch and plugged it in (that was probably longer than necessary). Once I got to Sugar River Forest Preserve, my hot dogs and chili sauce were literally steaming hot! I really like that it comes with it's own Stainless Steel insert, in addition to a small plastic container and an actual metal spoon and fork that are stored in the lid. It's small enough to fit in both the tank bag and top case but large enough to hold quite a bit of food. I don't normally use my top case, and on longer rides I carry a hydration bladder in the tank bag, so I think I'll electrify the left side pannier instead and carry the food warmer in that (I'll try to do a small write up and post pics of that later). Tomorrow I'll test it with a cheeseburger and see how that goes.

• Offline bogie   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    15

Offline bogie

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: NE Notts
    Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 08.38 am
    May 08, 2022, 08.38 am
    Looks great, really nice solution for longer trips out away from civilisation. I will have to dig out my food warmer ready for my camping trip in July :)

• Offline Flux_Capctr   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    65

Offline Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lubsy, MD
    Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2022, 02.40 pm
    Aug 20, 2022, 02.40 pm
    I've got to say, this is a very interesting use of the trunk electrical outlet. I'll have to save this post for the future if I ever decide to go this route. I need to visit my grandma sometime soon and I might buy this for the trip to save some money. It might raise an eyebrow or two at a service station on the Ohio turnpike, but I doubt it would be the first time for me haha. My wife bought me a Stanley thermos for Father's Day which I'm also going to use.

BTW, ketchup on a chilidog? Sacrilege! (jk) :745:

• Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro  ‐    146
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2022, 08.36 pm
    Aug 20, 2022, 08.36 pm
    *Originally Posted by Flux_Capctr [+]
    I've got to say, this is a very interesting use of the trunk electrical outlet. I'll have to save this post for the future if I ever decide to go this route. I need to visit my grandma sometime soon and I might buy this for the trip to save some money. It might raise an eyebrow or two at a service station on the Ohio turnpike, but I doubt it would be the first time for me haha. My wife bought me a Stanley thermos for Father's Day which I'm also going to use.

The food warmer has worked great so far. I've used it for hot dogs, precooked burger patties, leftover meatloaf and even mac and cheese. I've started taking it along in my Escape too for those rainy days like today where I get out on the back country gravel roads.

*Originally Posted by Flux_Capctr [+]
    BTW, ketchup on a chilidog? Sacrilege! (jk) :745: 

And yes, having grown up in South Dakota I put ketchup on all my hot dogs!

tweedy-bunch