Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: How to add power to the left pannier  (Read 409 times)

• Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro  ‐    139
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Lunar Silver SE
    • City / Town: Chicago area
    How to add power to the left pannier
    on: May 16, 2022, 10.52 pm
    May 16, 2022, 10.52 pm
    As I noted in my food warmer thread, I wanted to add power to the left pannier so I don't have to rely on the top case. Here's a few steps and pics of my progress so far. Of course if you decide to do this too, I'm not responsible for anything and your mileage may vary  :001:

The first step is to gather the needed hardware. I used these parts:

Powerlet adapter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B086632GVY/

SAE socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TB7XH2H/

Power port: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB7PBB4/

Next, determine where you want to mount the power port. I chose the upper right corner as there's a nice ledge there that's just big enough for it to be mounted to. Now measure the distance from the center of the SAE socket to the outer edge, and mark a spot on the inside of the pannier (should be just over 3/4" from the back side). Use a center punch to mark the spot for drilling. I made a starter hole from the inside, then working from both sides I used a step bit to enlarge it up the 3/4" needed for a snug fit. Once I had the socket inserted and level, I drilled the 4 holes for the mounting screws and tightened them down.

Later this week I'll finish things up by adding some wire retainers to make the routing of the powerlet adapter a bit neater, shorten the harness inside the pannier and solder/heat shrink all the connections, then finally mount the power port itself. If there's interest, I'll post pics of that too.

• Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro  ‐    139
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: How to add power to the left pannier
    Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 10.25 pm
    May 17, 2022, 10.25 pm
    Here's the mostly completed install. I opted for heavy duty spade connectors instead of soldering, just in case I should even need to remove the power port. I also used 3M hook and loop tape to secure it to the inside, as I don't know what's under that ledge (I assume it's some kind of reinforcement for the pannier mount). I'll add some convoluted tubing tomorrow just to tidy up the wiring.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 11.02 pm
    May 17, 2022, 11.02 pm
    The idea has been fantastic and the job of placing the USB support with the cigarette lighter socket has been very good. But if I may tell you, if I had known you were trying to get 12 volts into the saddlebags. I would have suggested a way to enter without water or moisture entering the connectors in the future.

I carry a hose to each saddlebag for the Blind Spot sensors and the wires are nowhere to be seen. They go under the seat and that's where there is a connector in case I decide to remove any of the saddlebags, they can be easily removed.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro  ‐    139
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 11.35 pm
    May 17, 2022, 11.35 pm
    Thanks for the info Digital, but I'm not too worried about water/moisture intrusion. I don't hose the bike down and in 20+ years of riding I've only been caught in the rain 4 times (and only once did I actually need to put on my rain gear, knock on wood!). All of the parts are advertised as weather proof, and just to be safe I added a bead of silicone to the SAE adapter today.
    Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11.39 pm by Paul

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 02.10 pm
    May 18, 2022, 02.10 pm
    There is no doubt that you have done a good job.

With the subject of cables, I am something special. I'm like (women)...
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

tweedy-bunch