Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Updated Aux Light Arrangement  (Read 241 times)

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    584
    • Topic Author

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Updated Aux Light Arrangement
    on: May 27, 2022, 05.13 pm
    May 27, 2022, 05.13 pm
      During the last night of the 2021 Iron Butt Rally, I was making my push from central New Mexico to the finish line in Provo, UT.  I had to be there by 8:00 am MDT which meant that it would be an all-nighter through desolate areas where lots of critters tend to cross the road.  It got dark as I was leaving Albuquerque (yes, I turned right at Albuquerque) and made it up into Colorado when my aux lights started failing one by one until all were gone by the time I reached Utah.  With 260 miles to go in the wee hours of the night, it was rather nerve racking trying to see all the critters waiting to do me harm.

In preparation for this year's LDX Rally and next year's Iron Butt Rally, I did some research and pulled the trigger on some Denali Electronics lights and controller.  I have to say that this kit is worth every pretty penny (and there were a lot of them).  My kit consisted of a pair of D3 Spots, a pair of D3 Fogs, and Denali's new DialDim Controller.  I initially purchased the Fogs with Amber lenses but have since switched over to the high-viz yellow.

The controller comes with all of the connectors and wires that you'll need.  I chose to mount the controller under the left side rear panel and had plenty of wire length to reach the aux light mounting points up front.  It's important to note that the DialDim controller can support 2 sets of lights independently.  There are up to five points that you can tap in to to drive various functions.  They are:
      • Ignition (required) - This obviously tells the unit to turn on and off.  I tapped into the rear power plug.
      • High Beam (required) - This allows the controller to go from a dimmed setting to 100% power when the high beam switch is activated. I did have to run a small extension wire up to tap into the headlight H4 connector
      • Left and Right Turn Signals (optional) - this is really cool.  If used, the white Spot on the side of the signal will be deactivated while the turn signal is active.  This prevents the turn signal from being washed out by the bright light.  Additionally, the Fog on the signal side will also flash in unison with the turn signal.  A really great visual.  When the turn signal is off, the lights will return to normal operation. I tapped into the taillight harness for each turn signal circuit.
    • Horn (optional) - if used, tapping your horn will cause the lights to flash briefly to get cagers attention. I had to run another small extension wire to reach the horn (+) wire.(consult your local laws)

Below is the main control unit and the available taps.

The install was really easy after dealing with all the plastics.  The aux light leads were run along the wiring harnesses below each wing of the gas tank.  Supplied zip ties kept it all tidy.

Below is a short video of the light operations.  You can literally "dial" in the brightness of each set of lights.  The video will demo each set being dimmed, the bright light feature, the turn signals and finally the horn alert.  Note: the flickering in the video is a result of the camera and not the lights themselves.

Edit:  Yes, I do run the switchback turn signal kit and my main lights have been replaced with LED bulbs.

Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05.17 pm by tdragger
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
    IBA #609

tweedy-bunch