Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Cruise control niggles  (Read 7221 times)

Offline madshep

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Boston, Lincolnshire
Cruise control niggles
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
Been away for the week, and covered 1,150 miles (and it was here in the UK, and it stayed dry the whole time!  :001:)

Anyway, I love the bike but have found an annoying trait that became a pain!

When opening the throttle to get up to the speed you want, and then activating the cruise control, I find that more often than not, even rolling off the throttle again VERY gently will suddenly de-activate it!

I know that when in cruise control mode, you can de-activate it by gripping the throttle and rolling it the wrong way .. i.e. closed, but I find it incredibly sensitive, and when on a dual carriageway in traffic, to suddenly decelerate because the thing had switched itself off again became a real annoyance.
Going to contact the dealer to see if it can be 'tweaked'!!

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Re: Cruise control niggles
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
I agree.  I just bought a used trophy and on the way back I experienced exactly that.  Even uneven roadway can cause you to  inadvertently disengage the cruise .

Offline Mick

• Trophy Member
  • mderrig
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:40:06 AM »
I had the same issues the first time I used it. But now I find it works really well. When I have it on I usually open my fingers and rest them on the front brake lever to stop from accidentally twisting the throttle when you hit a bump. It works great. I find it the best way to stop myself from going to fast. It so easy on the Trophy to find yourself  going 20 or 30 Kph over the speed limit. Cruise control lets you set and forget and enjoy the scenery.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:23:53 AM »
That's why I use the cruise, to keep me out of trouble on those empty west Texas roads .

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »
I remember the first time I tried it I thought I wont use it much but now I am getting the hang of it.

I find that the more I use it the better it is,

Roger

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mick [+]
I had the same issues the first time I used it. But now I find it works really well. When I have it on I usually open my fingers and rest them on the front brake lever to stop from accidentally twisting the throttle when you hit a bump. It works great. I find it the best way to stop myself from going to fast. It so easy on the Trophy to find yourself  going 20 or 30 Kph over the speed limit. Cruise control lets you set and forget and enjoy the scenery.
my method when on cruise is usually to rest the palm of my hand on the bar weight if going straight and if it bends a bit i make sure a bit of my hand is the weight so it doesn't slip and needs a bit more force....had the same problem initially and guess its a difficult one as it needs to come of cruise fast and easy!

Offline madshep

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Boston, Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »
I think some of you are not getting my problem!

Once the cruise is set, and I'm motoring along happily, everything is fine ......................... the problem is with the initial setting of it.

If you are getting up speed, the throttle must be partly open.

You then press the 'set' button, and the light comes on in the display.

But you then need to let go of the throttle, and I found that no matter how gently or carefully I did it, whenever the throttle got to the closed position, the pressure more often than not was enough to de-activate the cruise control.

The system should not be able to be de-activated by accident!

It could be dangerous, and so it should be such that it needs a real definite movement to cancel!

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
Sounds like your throttle shut off position is over-sensitive - mine doesn't do that -
after setting the Cruise control I can let go of the twist grip, allowing it to return to the stop positon,
and Cruise remains engaged.

I think a return ride to the dealer to have it loked at / adjusted will be needed.

Mine WILL de-activate if I'm holding the twist grip and go over a bump -
causing my hand to inadvertently roll the throttle off, but that's something you get used to
and become prepared for - not holding the grip too tightly,
and resting extended fingers on the top of the brake lever like "Mick" suggested is good  :028:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:38:08 PM by Coconut »