Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: No Start following Gauge Cluster Shutdown  (Read 620 times)

• Offline PhilInAthens   gr

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Re: No Start following Gauge Cluster Shutdown
    Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2022, 03.13 pm
    Jun 18, 2022, 03.13 pm
    Dan 66 - I most certainly am not an electrical wizzard like Digital, nor as well versed as Coconut, but I have found that this bike is very voltage sensative. I had experiences such as yours (i.e. self-resolving screen blackouts, unexplainable cruise cut outs, any number of other grimlins) all of which were resolved with a new battery. It is important to note that the old battery - which really wasn't that old - tested out as being just fine! But, replacing it anyway proved to be the fix.  :821:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2022, 05.00 pm
    Jun 18, 2022, 05.00 pm
    Well, it's not that it's sensitive to power outages and blackouts from any of the Trophy's built-in peripherals.

It's not as much as it may seem, it just so happens that Triumph engineers covered their backs when it came to creating the software that causes peripherals to turn off when there's a negligible drop in battery power.

To give an example… The sound system is turned off and a message appears on the dashboard that says something like this: low baria “radio off”. It's not entirely true, I have a voltmeter built into the Trophy and when it happens that the sound system turns off, it doesn't lose power.

As many of you know, I put an ALPINE sound system and two amplifiers that I always have running, only the ALPINE sound system consumes much more amperage than the OEM sound system, if I add to this the consumption of the two amplifiers . You can imagine that if this were the case, and if it were sensitive, the bike would stop, it has never given me any problems, I've played music through a USB input or any other Input input.

There are many people and I include myself, that the OEM sound system if you have the music on through USB and press the horn button, the music stops for a few moments and then comes back. With the ALPINE sound system this does not happen and will never happen, since it is not included in the Triumph Software.  :821: :821: :821:
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline STJIM   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    424

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2022, 03.18 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 03.18 pm
    *Originally Posted by trophied [+]
    There are two members here, me being one of them, that had a wire pull out of the connector buried down in front of the engine that gave the same symptoms. SNIP ....... and replacement by the dealer, who confirmed the problem and showed me the old harness with the wire disconnected from the multi pin connector. SNIP ....

Trophied :  Any chance you could give a little more info. on where that connector is exactly located and how many pins it has and on which side of the engine it's located, etc.  ??

Also, Did the wire & pin come out still connected together or did the wire break off from the pin and the pin remained in the connector ??

Thanks !
    Last Edit: Jun 20, 2022, 03.34 pm by STJIM
    IBA #35372
    BBG  5-2014  SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 :  2011 & 2019
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4913

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2022, 03.42 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 03.42 pm
    Need to remove at least the left side bodywork and it's buried very well down low and in front of the engine.  Gray multi pin connector that's difficult to access, and it has a lot of pins for the entire right side switch cube.  The wire was pulled out of the pin.  I'm only the second person that is on this forum that has had this problem.  All the communication with Triumph USA regarding symptoms, and the dealers input when I finally had to take it to them, helped a lot toward getting it replaced on my 2013.  I even got the updated switch cube with easier reach to the cruise control buttons attached to the harness.  Like I said, only 2 of us to my knowledge have had this exact problem.  Mine would start when it first started occurring by turning the front wheel to the right or left some and holding the starter button down until it hit the magic spot for quite a while, and finally quit starting completely.  I finally had to wedge some fine wire on the legs of the starter relay and touch the two together to start it.  If you do that, keep the hot side wire recessed in the insulation and bare the other wire to stick in there to start it.  I wrapped it around the passenger grab rail to store it to make my trip.  I bet digital can send us an image of the connector, he has an image of EVERYTHING!
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2022, 05.40 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 05.40 pm
    I don't have a Photo of the Connector in situ, but while waiting to see if Digital has one -
    this shows where the connector(s) are located and what they look like :

Last Edit: Jun 20, 2022, 05.45 pm by Coconut

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2022, 08.54 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 08.54 pm
    The right side hub with the starter switches, cruise control, red stop switch etc. It has two harnesses with two connectors, one gray with 12 wires and one black with 8 wires, the black connector controlled the throttle sensor and I think the cruise control.

The gray connector controls the red emergency stop button, start button, front brake microrrptor and something else, which I can't remember now.

Position marked with the red circles of the position of the connectors in question.

Male and female gray connector, with 12 cables used.

Male and female gray connector, with 8 cables used.
    Last Edit: Jun 20, 2022, 09.01 pm by digital
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4913

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2022, 11.30 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 11.30 pm
    The gray one was my problem child.  It must come as a complete harness assembly with the switch cube, because that's what the dealer got for mine.  Had to come from England, and Triumph USA expedited shipping so it still didn't arrive before I had to leave on my trip.  Hot wired it all the way there and took it in when I got back and had to cover half the labor since the dealer had to put it back together so I could leave and strip it again when I got back.  I was happy to cover that cost for the extra effort it took.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies