Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Avon Storm - never again  (Read 887 times)

• Online Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    703
    • Topic Author

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Avon Storm - never again
    on: Jun 26, 2022, 01.01 pm
    Jun 26, 2022, 01.01 pm
    Avon Storm - don't anyone tell me they're a good tyre 😡  This one looks like it just completed 6 rounds with Mike Tyson.

This wear pattern has me bamboozled.  I seriously thought about replacing it in France when I saw the strange wear pattern, but the consensus from the gathered throng was that it would get me back home.

Tomorrow, a Michelin Road 6 GT is getting fitted.

Also, getting the silencer off was a damn good challenge, avoiding the snapping off of the tangs.  Eventually, after a lot of releasing oil soaked in, it came free with a fairly loud crack. All tangs still in place, thank goodness.

Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5047

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Avon Storm - never again
    Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2022, 01.48 pm
    Jun 26, 2022, 01.48 pm
    Very odd wear pattern.  I've never had a set wear like that, but another member had a front with a strange wear pattern and changed to a different brand.  As more try the Road 6 GT it will be interesting to see the reports on them.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline LenJ

• Trophy Member  ‐    14

Offline LenJ

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: Sunny(!?) Doncaster
    Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2022, 12.39 am
    Jun 27, 2022, 12.39 am
    Not just confined to avon which I also run, I needed a front in a rush and fitted a Bridgestone T31 front. After 7000 miles it was twice as bad as that, 2mm tread left in the centre (hard rubber) and totally slick either side. I think it's a trade off with duel compund tyres to be fair.

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1327

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2022, 02.11 am
    Jun 27, 2022, 02.11 am
     This type of wear pattern is consistent with a lot of the current crop of sort/touring tyres. The make-up of the tyre has a harder compound centre section [the flatter piece in the photos] for longer life/kilometres, while the outer sections are softer for cornering capability.
      The problem with the Trophy is that it is very heavy, especially front end wise when braking. I have just removed a Michelin PR 5 GT from my front rim and the same wear pattern is evident on it. I might add that I'm extremely soft when it comes to braking. One way to reduce this wear pattern is to increase the front tyre pressure. But this then gives you a harsher ride. I've tried up to 42 PSI in my front tyre and the same wear pattern is still evident, just not as severe.
       At the 2019 IBA Rally in the USA Michelin invited the contestants to a seminar to discuss their tyres. The gathered contestants weren't backward in coming forward in telling the Michelin people what they thought of their PR 5 tyres. Basically that they were "sh#t". Hopefully Michelin have improved their R6 tyres to not only give longer life but also much improved side wear capability.
      The cost of the current crop of tyres suited to the Trophy are ridiculously priced for such a low kilometre return. To get only between 12 and 15 thousand kilometres from a set of tyres is just plain highway robbery. In my case that is why I have a car tyre fitted to the rear of my Trophy. It went on at 77 thousand kilometres and I have just ticked up 99 thousand. I have 32 PSI in this tyre. It isn't even half worn. For a cost of $120 plus $20 fitting I'm way in front of bike tyre costs and wear. I'know it isn't for everyone, but for me it works. And for a lot of other riders trying to extend wear and save money it's the same.
      Just my thoughts on this ever frustrating tyre cost, wear conundrum.  :821: :028:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Online Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    703
    • Topic Author

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2022, 04.45 pm
    Jun 27, 2022, 04.45 pm
    New Michelin Road 6 GT.  Wallet now empty but I'm happier.....

Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Offline gwcrim   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    117

Offline gwcrim

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy, et. al.
    • City / Town: Steubenville Ohio
    Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2022, 08.54 pm
    Aug 07, 2022, 08.54 pm
    I just took off a set of Storms.  The front only lasted as long as the rear.  Usually I get 2:1.  Went back to Pirelli Angel ST.  Got a smokin' deal on Ebay.  Front and rear for $240 delivered!
    ~Crim~

• Online Flux_Capctr   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    65

Online Flux_Capctr

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lubsy, MD
    Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2022, 01.09 am
    Aug 08, 2022, 01.09 am
    That is the oddest wear pattern I've personally seen. Well, looks like you've turned me off to Avons for this bike. Hopefully the Michelins work for you.

• Offline KIRK!   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    33

Offline KIRK!

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 SE
    • City / Town: Concord, CA
    Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2022, 01.27 am
    Aug 08, 2022, 01.27 am
    I'd love to hear a real review of these Michelins. They're a good looking tire.

*Originally Posted by Novocastrian [+]
    New Michelin Road 6 GT.  Wallet now empty but I'm happier.....