Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: YTX 20L OR 20HL Battery  (Read 1139 times)

• Offline 1299cc   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline 1299cc

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TT & Hayabusa
    • City / Town: MELTON MOWBRAY
    YTX 20L OR 20HL Battery
    on: Jul 11, 2022, 07.23 pm
    Jul 11, 2022, 07.23 pm
    Hi just a quick question has anyone replaced the Yuasa YTX 20L Battery with the HL version with more cranking power?

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4980

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: YTX 20L OR 20HL Battery
    Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2022, 11.00 pm
    Jul 11, 2022, 11.00 pm
    My first factory battery, that is after they replaced the original within 2 weeks of ownership due to the satellite radio software thing, lasted 5 years.  The replacement has been in for over 2 years now and rarely sees a battery tender and no issues. My Trophy starts so quickly that it doesn't use much battery power to start it.  Nver takes grinding on the starter for a long time for it to start so I haven't seen a need to upgrade.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Rick505   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
    Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2022, 03.13 pm
    Jul 12, 2022, 03.13 pm
    As you know Yuasa indicates the YTX20l-BS, YTX20HL-BS and the GYZ20HL batteries fit "our" bikes.  When I replaced my YTX20L-BS I decided to go all the way and get the GYZ20HL battery.  Unfortunately, the battery ended up being a dud but I was able to return it to the seller and received a full refund. I'm not saying Yuasa batteries are an issue but I received the one that failed to hold a charge after a day or so.  In any case like you, I was looking for something with a bit more cranking power and capacity in case of charging failure.  I'd say go ahead and grab the "better" battery they are the same physical size as far as I can tell.  I went with a NOCO lithium but that's mostly because I wanted to experiment with lithium.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10070

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2022, 03.39 pm
    Jul 12, 2022, 03.39 pm
    The Yuasa YTX 20HL-BS has a CCA of 310 and weighs 6.3Kg ( with acid )

The Yuasa YTX 20L-BS has a CCA of 270 and weighs 6.7Kg ( with acid ) !  :084:

When considering Lithium batteries, ask yourself,
    "Does the battery manufacturer recommend a specific / dedicated Lithium battery charger,
    and if so what do they recommend I do about the Alternator on my Trophy - if anything ???  :087:

I don't know the answer to that one but it's worth considering !

• Offline Rick505   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
    Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2022, 03.47 pm
    Jul 12, 2022, 03.47 pm
    Not to get too far off the original question but I guess I already contributed to that.  The NOCO is advertised as having a good BMS board so I'm not worried about the Alternator charging it.  I do use a specific, yes NOCO branded, charger when I'm not riding for a somewhat extended period of time.  It will also handle SLA, etc. batteries.  Hopefully, I'll not need to use the battery's 5-year warranty to find out. 

• Offline 1299cc   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline 1299cc

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TT & Hayabusa
    • City / Town: MELTON MOWBRAY
    Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2022, 11.59 pm
    Jul 12, 2022, 11.59 pm
    Cheers guys the previous owner kindly wrote the date of the current battery replacement as feb 2017 so the current battery lasted well. Fully charged it only started the trophy 6 times so a new one is due. I think I will go with the HL version for the extra tenner.

• Offline bogie   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    13

Offline bogie

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: NE Notts
    Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2022, 10.25 am
    Jul 13, 2022, 10.25 am
    I changed my battery earlier this year to the NOCO lithium equivalent. Its been faultless since and the weight saving is significant and noticeable due to the location of the battery being quite high up on the bike, versus buried under the seat on other bikes.

I have had lithium on my other bikes for 7/8 years now, hence already had a lithium charger I could use. The latest chargers available from CTEK, NOCO, Optimate will all detect and charge any battery regardless of type so saves hassle in having multiple chargers.

tweedy-bunch