Hi from sunny Somerset by Maxime
[Today at 09:30:14 AM]

IPod 16GB by Novocastrian
[Today at 08:30:04 AM]

2 months and 4k miles by mdwest7
[Today at 01:31:49 AM]

A Trophy clone??? by earthman
[Yesterday at 10:37:59 PM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: What ear protection is best ?  (Read 15084 times)

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
What ear protection is best ?
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »
I wonder if anyone can give me advice on ear protection other than stay at home.

I have tinnitus in one ear so I need to be wearing something other wise it sounds like a bad church bell ringer ringing away in my ear for a few days, I have tried some 3M foam plugs which help quite a bit but just wondered if anyone has anything betterer.

PS the helmet I use is a Schuberth C3

Roger

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: What ear protection is best ?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:42:01 PM »
I have tinnitus in both ears (courtesy of work related injury) and also use a Schuberth C3 without ear plugs and don't need them when riding with the screen to a level that takes the air off the helmet.

Offline Scubadvr

• Trophy Pro
  • The journey IS the destination!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: GSF1250SA Bandit
  • City / Town: St. Louis
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
I once tried custom-fit earplugs, but they don't seal all that well.  I've found that nothing works quite as well as the foam plugs you roll between your fingers, then insert in your ears, and they expand to fit.  The ones that work best for me are the Howard Leight Max Ear Plugs, which have a taper to them, so they're larger on the end that sticks out of your ear.

YMMV

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »
Roger

I have used personal ear plugs for years. I have recently had new ones made.

I used "Ultimate ears" uk. you can find then on google. With full range what they do.

They work for me. Hoping they will be OK with the headset I am thinking of getting too.

seadog
seadog

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »
I have some ultimate ear plugs (custom made) but the in ear speakers wires broke very easily.  I think they have changed the design now.  The plugs themselves are still ghost.  I then got some goo to make my own and molded it around ordinary in ear speakers to make my own.  These also are good.  Recently I got some Westone one in ear speakers that have various fittings and as said with a c3 pro and good screen I have no problems.

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
Thanks for your help gentlemen. I do move the screen to various positions to get the best effect and that does make a difference but I would like to make it quiter.

Thanks again

Roger

Offline TrophyTim

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »
Hi Roger - I use a pair of these - www.adventure.gs/Adventure.GS/Custom_Ear_Plugs.html. They're made by a chap called Mick Wheeler, based in Rotherham - not too far for me, probably less convenient for you. However, if you're ever up that way, Mick's your man. My experience is that the earplugs feel a little strange at first but you soon got used to them, to the point that you are not aware you're wearing them after a while. Hope this is of interest / help.

Offline Vitesse

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
Hi Roger. I also use the Schuberth C3 helmet. It is as quiet as you can get but I do find I get a bit of wind noise round the side of the screen when at motorway speed. I use the EAR Classic 11. These are foam which you squeeze to a point and push in. Over a few seconds they expand to fill the ear canal quite comfortably. The forces use them for those workinging amongst aircraft, so their effectiveness is not in question. More whether they suit the individual.
Cheers, Nick.

tweedy-bunch