Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Trophy idle / stall  (Read 916 times)

• Offline swilkins65   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    63

Offline swilkins65

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Phoenix, AZ
    Re: Trophy idle / stall
    Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2022, 05.42 pm
    Aug 15, 2022, 05.42 pm
    Test 1 & 2 just performed on a 2013 with 28k miles (was given 20K service at 21K miles in March of this year).  Bike sat in garage all night, ambient temp 80 degrees (its summer in AZ).
    • Engine started and within 15 seconds taken to 4k and dropped to idle
    • Within 5 more seconds taken to 8k and dropped to idle

Results were that it acted like it wanted to stall when returning to idle on the 4kdrop and backfired on 8k drop

With a total running time of less than a minute I turned bike off and then returned did the same again 5 min later.  The second time it seemed to have no issues.

My backyard not trained mechanic mind says that since oil pressure and or sensors hadn't yet had sufficient time to build and stabilize the fuel injection just didn't know how to properly respond yet.  Now that being said I drive my bike enthusiastically but not to its capacity; so I generally accelerate at 3/4 to full throttle to about 6-7k before shifts and generally cruise at about 4k on the tach.  I've never had my bike act up other than in full throttle accelarate where when in 2nd gear and I hit about 8k of tach the clutch will slip and the engine will race to redline (clutch is either worn or I've got a slave cylinder issue).  So I just try not to put the bike in that scenario until I've figured it out and fixed it.  I'll run the other tests later today when I make a grocery run at lunch.

• Offline swilkins65   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    63

Offline swilkins65

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: Phoenix, AZ
    Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2022, 08.53 pm
    Aug 15, 2022, 08.53 pm
    Well with everything at temp the engine stumbled but recovered on the 4K throttle drop but on the rev to 8k and then let go of throttle it stalled out (in Neutral with clutch lever pulled in) but same as you instantly restarted.  Anyway since I don't rev the engine in neutral normally doesn't really affect me.  When driving the bike normally I've never had it stall out but I've never gone 8K to dead stick since I downshift as I decelerate.

• Offline speighty58

• Trophy Member  ‐    37
    • Topic Author

Offline speighty58

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Nottingham
    Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2022, 06.47 pm
    Aug 16, 2022, 06.47 pm
    *Originally Posted by swilkins65 [+]
    Well with everything at temp the engine stumbled but recovered on the 4K throttle drop but on the rev to 8k and then let go of throttle it stalled out (in Neutral with clutch lever pulled in) but same as you instantly restarted.  Anyway since I don't rev the engine in neutral normally doesn't really affect me.  When driving the bike normally I've never had it stall out but I've never gone 8K to dead stick since I downshift as I decelerate.

Thanks !!

I'm beginning to think that this might be more of an issue in general - but the reality is that we just don't do any of the above, so how would we know!
    Any time we rev past 5k when riding , engine breaking will likely bring the engine back down to a normal speed and the idle will be ok.

Clutching at straws here.

Going to have Triumph try maybe one or two more things , of which fuel pressure will be one. Then consider putting it all back together and give it test ride to see what it does 'on the road'

I have to say Im more than a little disappointed that Triumph cant fix their own design of bike :-(

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5044

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2022, 06.55 pm
    Aug 16, 2022, 06.55 pm
    I've just never had the desire to sit and rev my Trophy under no load to that extent.  I don't consider my bike a racing machine that should have the fuel mapping suitable to do that.  I have no idea what the altitude is where you are, but possibly that is an issue - grasping at straws there. :084:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10140

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2022, 09.59 am
    Aug 17, 2022, 09.59 am
    I can only see comments that this perceived problem occurs when stationary.

Is there any such problem when the bike is ridden "normally" on the road ?

If not, then it does beg the question :

WHY do you want to Rev the engine up to 4000 / 5000 / 8000 RPM when stationary ?

Is there a reason for doing this ?

I can't think of one - maybe when Triumph designed the engine and it's fuel injection system,
    they didn't think of any reason why this would be necessary,
    so maybe there is no part of the design to be "fixed" ?  :027:

• Offline speighty58

• Trophy Member  ‐    37
    • Topic Author

Offline speighty58

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Nottingham
    Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2022, 02.17 pm
    Aug 17, 2022, 02.17 pm
    I can only see comments that this perceived problem occurs when stationary.
    Is there any such problem when the bike is ridden "normally" on the road ?

Ive not tried it yet - as per previous comments - this is the last test if they cant resolve the issue.

WHY do you want to Rev the engine up to 4000 / 5000 / 8000 RPM when stationary
    It was noticed that after some work, a tech heard a 'noise' - it was rev'd higher to see if the sound was easier to identify. There is no reason on a warm engine why you can't do this.

the bike stalled - the problem seen and Triumph then confirmed that 'its not supposed to do that'
    They also confirmed there is no 'launch control' or any version of this software behaviour that should affect it.

I've just never had the desire to sit and rev my Trophy under no load to that extent.  I don't consider my bike a racing machine that should have the fuel mapping suitable to do that.
    Neither did I until it was pointed out that it didnt work on my bike, but does on others.

I understand people are concerned why I would or wouldn't do this however, as Triumph have stated that its NOT correct that this happens, I just want it fixed.
    I thought a poll of owners would help understand - for my own sanity - if this is a real problem, or, just one of those 'triumph quirks'

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10140

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2022, 03.12 pm
    Aug 17, 2022, 03.12 pm
    It was noticed that after some work, a tech heard a 'noise' -
    it was rev'd higher to see if the sound was easier to identify.

Thanks for the clarification - It will be interesting to see if they find a cause.

• Offline Trophyed-Up   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    192

Offline Trophyed-Up

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chesapeake Va.
    Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2022, 04.53 pm
    Aug 17, 2022, 04.53 pm
    A few months ago my bike stalled out while out riding.  Running through the gears and then coming to a stop, pull in the clutch to coast to a red light and the bike shuts down.  This happened three or four times.  Otherwise the bike ran better than ever.  I did the 20k maintenance last winter and I thought maybe I left some hose or connector off when I put the bike back together.  The Dealer Tool did not show any problems.   My bike acted just as the OP described while in the garage.  Rev it up and release the throttle and there was a chance the bike would shut down.  This was true whether the bike was warm or cold.  Don't know why but the problem went away.  I've tried the throttle test in the garage lately and the bike acts like it would like to shut down when blipping the throttle but recovers and keeps running.