Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Amateur Moment. Thank goodness for Adventure bars.  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Vitesse

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Amateur Moment. Thank goodness for Adventure bars.
« on: October 05, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
  :430: Had an amateur moment last week. My own fault entirely. Doing a quick turn around in the road as I have done numerous times without issue. Instead of dropping to first gear, I left the bike in second gear - no idea why. Of course the bike stalled and down we went.  :034: Fortunately I was barely moving when the bike went down as I was trying to wrestle it straight before the embarrassing bit. Noooo chance!!!. What did surprise me was how easily I got the bike back on it's wheels. Didn't realise just how low the weight sits. I was lucky in that I have R&G Adventure Bars which stopped any damage apart from a small mark on the top-box and the end of the exhaust. What was a little disappointing was the way the crash-bars bent in towards the fairing.  I have since straightened it out. Considering I had more or less lowered the bike down I thought they might have been a little tougher. I wouldn't like to bank on  them being a lot of good in a moving incident. Not that I intend to find out. All in all only a little scratch to the bars, topbox and exhaust but a big dent in the pride. Anybody else found the Adventure bars to be this easy to bend or are they meant to be like this.

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Amateur Moment. Thank goodness for Adventure bars.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »
That's a real bummer, dam annoying when you do something like that, even when your on a short simple trip your making decisions all the time it just takes one small lack of attention and it happens, weve all done it.

A few years ago it was belting it down with rain I had all my wet weather gear on feeling that you can barely move, I filled up with fuel pushed the bike of the centre stand and I wasn't paying attention and it went over the wrong way onto the fuel pump, not my best moment. 

Roger

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

I've had the adventure bars fitted to mine, and I understand from others and the Triumph dealership,  that they're supposed to have a little "give" in the event of a spill, to soak up the energy of the impact.

Just hoping that i don't have to put them to the task - touch wood.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 07:30:27 PM »
Been there, done that (on the second day of ownership). The bars saved my TT too.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline monkeycabbage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy 900
  • City / Town: Gillingham
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »
Sorry to hear it, but look on the plus side, you've already saved money having brought the bars!! Would have possibly cost you a lot more if you hadn't had them.

I think any crash bars in a moving accident aren't really going to do a lot, but if you were to (I hope not...but) drop it again at low speed, you've saved money again.

Anything at high speed isn't worth thinking about, crash bars or not.
...on an old 900  :164:

Paranoia is a survival mechanism!

Offline mototux

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that - but (unfortunately), I know how it feels  :034:
Been there, done that, but without the crash-bars  :233:
Besides the embarrassement it's usually only one's own ego that gets hurt  :012: But to put it in the words of my friendly service-man -> look at it the positive way: it's the second time that you can pick up a "brand-new" TT and leave with a smile on your face  :745:  :745:
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.

Offline Sneezy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »
Did it yesterday, bikes 1 week and 874 miles old, just washed her, turning in road on slight hill, touched back brake,damned linked brakes, whole thing went, scratched rear pannier and cracked indicator lens.  :172:
Glad i never dropped my rocket
As the late, great Freddie Mercury sang.
"Get on your bike and ride"

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »
That's a real bummer Sneazy< sorry to hear it

Roger