Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Front brake grabbing  (Read 5940 times)

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
Front brake grabbing
« on: October 06, 2013, 02:48:24 pm »
I have the bike in for a warranty work and am having them look at the front brakes when I come to a slow stop the front brake grabs unevenly. (Yes I know I should be using the back). This causes the front to dive a bit when coming to a stop. It feels like the rotor is warped but I have checked both out and they seem true. Plus they are floating and it shouldn't matter, several times I have rocked and twisted the rotor and then pumped the calliper back up and the brakes are fine for a few stops but then after a number of stops the grabbing comes back. Has anyone experienced any similar symptoms?

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Front brake grabbing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 03:37:17 pm »
That's a new one for me.  My experience has been that the Trophy brakes are the best I've used.  Many times when I hit he brakes I find myself favorably comparing them to other bikes I've owned
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline afterburner

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 triumph trophy
  • City / Town: long beach, ca
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 04:23:38 pm »
I've had the same problem since day 1. More of a pulsing grab, like warped rotors. I can see and feel the forks dive. Hasn't kept me :157: from putting 10K miles on the bike though,  but definately need to get the issue resolved.

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:58:58 pm »
Also if I drive at 5 mph and apply the front brake then I can feel the grabbing but  faster
 than 5 mph and the brakes feel perfect

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 10:14:40 pm »
I have the same issue too but it isn't enough of a problem to go back to the dealership.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Amboguzzi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Blue (fastest)
  • City / Town: Annville,Pa
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:03:02 am »
Me too.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:37:22 am »
When I have had such a problem on other bikes/cars, usually it was down to the pads/rotors not being bedded in properly.  When I replaced the rotors and pads on the ST11 00 at 100,000kms I had a similar issue, replaced the pads with some older sintered pads that were a bit more aggressive to run in the rotors, then used the new pads again and no problem.

I just replaced the pads and rotors in my car which had a similar issue - the pads just did not get on with the rotors all the time, so lead to a wobble in the steering at times under brakes.

Not to say that it could not be warped rotors or something else.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »
I do wonder if the linked brakes don't help sometimes.  Not with the grabbing but with 'glazing' discs.  In the olden days (yes I am old) I used to be on the committee of the Moto Guzzi club GB and we were always asked by members to look at their bikes as the brakes were rubbish.  We used to take their bike for a run 'hammer the front brake' and give it back and they were always amazed that we had 'fixed' their bike.  Actually I took a Norge out and was told by the dealer the brakes were not very good (on the demonstrator???)  linked brakes again so I hammered the front and the brakes were not bad then.  As an aside I thought I would get a Guzzi and it would be like going back to the enjoyment of my youth.  Unfortunately it did and I was amazed how other bikes had moved on from that long ago???

I did have the same problem on the TT when I picked it up.  I even complained to the dealer (who were sympathetic on the surface, helpful but did nothing)  so I 'used' the front brake a few times and all was better again.  I posibly get a slight wirring, buzzing from the front if I brake hard from high speed as the speed gets low.  I am sure this is high spots on the disc.

tweedy-bunch