Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Throttle body balancing question  (Read 2443 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline imcool   gb

    • Trophy Member  ‐    14
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline imcool

    • Trophy Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 14
    • Bike: ROCKET 3R 2022
    • City / Town: essex
    • Country: gb
    Throttle body balancing question
    on: Mar 08, 2023, 03.33 pm
    Mar 08, 2023, 03.33 pm
    hello all,
    I am planning to do throttle body balance on  my rocket3r 2022 at home.
    I have factory service manual which says following values


    The bluetooth ECU OBD adapter measures in hPA (hectopascals) and the manual is giving values in  mmHg (millimetres of mercury).

    Conversion is 1 Hectopascal [hPa] = 0.750 061 575 845 66 Millimeter of mercury [mmHg]

    now
    480mmhg = 639.947368421 hPa (hectopascal)
    481mmhg = 641.280592105 hPa (hectopascal)

    now,
    i took my friend's brand new rocket with 1900km on odometer and measured the values of throttle bodies and they were like these:




    now here is photo of another rocket driven over 15000km, check the throttle body values of that rocket below:

    ------------------

    My questions are

    -  why is throttle body value same for new and old rocket?

    -  why does brand new bike throttle body  values are different than factory service manual?

    - if i want to balance the throttle bodies, what values should I go for? the one in manual or my friend's 1900km driven rocket values?

    Last Edit: Mar 08, 2023, 03.35 pm by imcool

  • Offline Coconut   gb

    • Trophy God  ‐    10627
    • *****
      #1

    Offline Coconut

    • Trophy God
    • *****
    • Posts: 10627
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Throttle body balancing question
    Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2023, 07.13 pm
    Mar 08, 2023, 07.13 pm
    I was about to reply then realised this was for a Rocket, not a Trophy, so any answer might not be correct !

    However, if you check the information in the Service Manual that you have for the Rocket -
    IF it is the same as the Trophy, then you will see that there is NO adjustment for the centre ( No.2 ) cyclinder,
    and the aim is to balance the readings for Cylinders 1 & 2 ( which CAN be adjusted )
    to match as closely as possible - the reading from Cylinder 2 - whatever that may be.

    I think the figures printed in the Service Manual for the MAP Pressures of each cylinder,
    are just examples, and are not given as pressures that you should aim to achieve.
    ( The same figures are printed in the Trophy Service Manual ).






  • Offline imcool   gb

    • Trophy Member  ‐    14
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline imcool

    • Trophy Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 14
    • Bike: ROCKET 3R 2022
    • City / Town: essex
    • Country: gb
    Re: Throttle body balancing question
    Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2023, 12.47 am
    Mar 09, 2023, 12.47 am
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    I was about to reply then realised this was for a Rocket, not a Trophy, so any answer might not be correct !

    However, if you check the information in the Service Manual that you have for the Rocket -
    IF it is the same as the Trophy, then you will see that there is NO adjustment for the centre ( No.2 ) cyclinder,
    and the aim is to balance the readings for Cylinders 1 & 2 ( which CAN be adjusted )
    to match as closely as possible - the reading from Cylinder 2 - whatever that may be.

    I think the figures printed in the Service Manual for the MAP Pressures of each cylinder,
    are just examples, and are not given as pressures that you should aim to achieve.
    ( The same figures are printed in the Trophy Service Manual ).


    that is interesting to know that same figures are there is trophy manual.

    so what I should do is just make sure the tolerance is same as my service manual

    for ex . if cylinder 1 is 480
    then cylinder 2 should be 481 and cylinder 3 should be 480 again.

    so 1 and 3 should be same and 2 should be +1 of 1 and 3, right?


  • Offline digital   es

    • Trophy God  ‐    3157
    • *****
      #3

    Offline digital

    • Trophy God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3157
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    • Country: es
    Re: Throttle body balancing question
    Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2023, 01.10 am
    Mar 09, 2023, 01.10 am
    It is not necessarily so. There are some tolerances between the three cylinders that, as coconut rightly says, I think I remember that it says that tolerance in the service manual.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.


  • Offline STJIM   us

    • Trophy Master  ‐    703
    • ****
      #4

    Offline STJIM

    • Trophy Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 703
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    • Country: us
    Re: Throttle body balancing question
    Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2023, 01.13 pm
    Mar 09, 2023, 01.13 pm
    What Coconut said and I woudl like to add :

    You are looking for a balance , not necesarily an absolute value.  As far as different readings between different models of bike are concerned, the reading will depend on the duration of the camshaft and other factors.

    Before balancing my TTSE,  I placed the palm of my hand over each throttle body intake to see if I could stall the engine, each in turn.  After placing my palm over the intake just before the engine stalled I removed my palm and moved to the next intake to see if it had the same effect.  On one intake after sealing the intake,  the bike kept running.  Turned out I had a leak at the rubber coupler between the throttle body and intake connection.  After properly placing the sealing clamp and tightening all cylinders were the same.

    I think this is a good check to do before routine balancing.
    IBA #35372  Mile Eater Gold 8-2022
    BBG  5-2014  SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 : 2011 / 2019 / 2022 / 2023
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100  1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

  • Offline imcool   gb

    • Trophy Member  ‐    14
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #5

    Offline imcool

    • Trophy Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 14
    • Bike: ROCKET 3R 2022
    • City / Town: essex
    • Country: gb
    Re: Throttle body balancing question
    Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2023, 03.27 pm
    Mar 09, 2023, 03.27 pm
    *Originally Posted by digital [+]
    It is not necessarily so. There are some tolerances between the three cylinders that, as coconut rightly says, I think I remember that it says that tolerance in the service manual.

    *Originally Posted by STJIM [+]
    What Coconut said and I woudl like to add :

    You are looking for a balance , not necesarily an absolute value.  As far as different readings between different models of bike are concerned, the reading will depend on the duration of the camshaft and other factors.

    Before balancing my TTSE,  I placed the palm of my hand over each throttle body intake to see if I could stall the engine, each in turn.  After placing my palm over the intake just before the engine stalled I removed my palm and moved to the next intake to see if it had the same effect.  On one intake after sealing the intake,  the bike kept running.  Turned out I had a leak at the rubber coupler between the throttle body and intake connection.  After properly placing the sealing clamp and tightening all cylinders were the same.

    I think this is a good check to do before routine balancing.


    please can you check the procedure from the factory service manual, it doesnt say anywhere about tolerances, or did i miss something?




  • Offline Coconut   gb

    • Trophy God  ‐    10627
    • *****
      #6

    Offline Coconut

    • Trophy God
    • *****
    • Posts: 10627
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Throttle body balancing question
    Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2023, 05.42 pm
    Mar 09, 2023, 05.42 pm
    Iy doesn't say anything about tolerances for Throttle Body balancing in the TROPHY Service manual,
    which is irrelevant anyway as the TROPHY is a different bike !

    I'm surprised you don't have a Service Manual for your Trophy to refer to ?

    Follow the process described in the Service Manual that you have for the bike in question:164:




  • Offline imcool   gb

    • Trophy Member  ‐    14
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #7

    Offline imcool

    • Trophy Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 14
    • Bike: ROCKET 3R 2022
    • City / Town: essex
    • Country: gb
    Re: Throttle body balancing question
    Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2023, 06.12 pm
    Mar 09, 2023, 06.12 pm
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    Iy doesn't say anything about tolerances for Throttle Body balancing in the TROPHY Service manual,
    which is irrelevant anyway as the TROPHY is a different bike !

    I'm surprised you don't have a Service Manual for your Trophy to refer to ?

    Follow the process described in the Service Manual that you have for the bike in question:164:



    I dont have Trophy, I have rocket 3R 2022