Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Forum Member's Opinion Request  (Read 1667 times)

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5652
    • Topic Author

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Forum Member's Opinion Request
    on: May 09, 2023, 12.59 am
    May 09, 2023, 12.59 am
    I'm in search of guidance regarding what to do with my 2013 dead in the water Trophy which has an absolutely worthless engine, but everything else is serviceable with less than 41,000 miles.  It's been suggested I try to sell parts from it on ebay, and I can do that, but I'm looking for input from any forum members interested in specific spare/extra parts from it that would be interested in buying them as I would prefer that forum members get first choice.  I can't really put it in the Marketplace as there is entirely too much variety/quantity of items to list.  I have a few items already reserved for specific members, but large items, such as audio system, drive units, suspension, forks, fuel tanks, etc., could be made available.  I've tried contacting some motorcycle salvage companies and haven't had any response to my inquiries so they may not be interested.  Any advice, interest would be appreciated to help me make a decision whether to call a scrap hauler or help someone out.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10628

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Forum Member's Opinion Request
    Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 10.51 am
    May 09, 2023, 10.51 am
    It almost seems criminal to send it off for scrap !

If you have the provision for storage, and the time to dismantle it, that's what I would do,
    and you could just puit a simple message in the Marketplace "Items For Sale" section saying,

"Breaking : Triumph Trophy SE 2013 Pacific Blue, 44,000 miles.
    All parts available apart from those listed below. 
    Please send Private Message to enquire, together with your address to work out shipping costs."

Then all you need to do is edit the original post and add items to the list as they are sold.
    Unlike normal Forum Topic posts I understand that there is no time limit on Editing Marketplace posts.
    You could start ( cruel pun not intended  :008: ) with :

Engine - Not available as a complete unit, individual components, covers etc may be salvageable.

The Parts listings at Hermys Triumph eStore will give you a good idea of parts numbers and descriptions,
    along with the current price when new ( if still available ), or download the Parts List
    I prepared for the Forum in Excel Spreadsheet format here :

Trophy Spare Parts List

Cheers  :821:

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5652
    • Topic Author

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 01.37 pm
    May 09, 2023, 01.37 pm
    I sold the top case and the sliding carriage for it and was it ever fun getting that off.  My main concern would be what to do with the engine once it's eventually down to nothing but the frame.  I have no way to handle that or anyone I know of that can dispose of it.  I'd like to think I could part it out, but no telling how long that would take.  If I know there is considerable interest in a lot of the major parts I may be inclined to part it out.

• Offline flynvtwn   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    46

Offline flynvtwn

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE
    • City / Town: Crossville, TN
    Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 06.30 pm
    May 09, 2023, 06.30 pm
    Well I'm looking forward to attempting to install the top case.  Hopefully it won't be too bad.  I think it is arriving tomorrow. 

As for the other parts I would pull everything that you are willing to sell off it (and everything that you are willing to store for a period of time) then I would scrap the rest.  There should be a metal scrap yard somewhere near you that you can unload the frame and motor.  That would probably make you the most money on it. 

If you don't want to do that....here in TN there are tons of people on Craigslist that will buy non working items and come pick them up.  There are several that advertise that they are looking for broken motorcycles/cars.  This would be the easiest by far.  Just put a craigslist post up saying what went wrong, how much you want for it, and I'm sure someone will come get it.  I bet if you had the price right it could be gone in a matter of hours or days if your area in TX is anything like mine in TN. 

I think it all depends on how quickly you want it gone or how much money you want to try to make off it.

• Offline swilkins65   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    104

Offline swilkins65

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Phoenix, AZ
    Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 06.43 pm
    May 09, 2023, 06.43 pm
    *Originally Posted by trophied [+]
    I sold the top case and the sliding carriage for it and was it ever fun getting that off.  My main concern would be what to do with the engine once it's eventually down to nothing but the frame.  I have no way to handle that or anyone I know of that can dispose of it.  I'd like to think I could part it out, but no telling how long that would take.  If I know there is considerable interest in a lot of the major parts I may be inclined to part it out.

In my suburb the city does bulk pickup once a month from our curb.  The metal scrappers come through the neighborhood the day before anything of any metal type is hauled off.  If you get to that point I'm sure we can find a metal scrapper that will gladly take it or I haul it back to AZ  :152:

• Offline STJIM   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    703

Offline STJIM

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE ( Blue )
    • City / Town: West Michigan
    Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 11.39 pm
    May 09, 2023, 11.39 pm
    *Originally Posted by trophied [+]
    I'm in search of guidance regarding what to do with my 2013 dead in the water Trophy which has an absolutely worthless engine, but everything else is serviceable with less than 41,000 miles.  It's been suggested I try to sell parts from it on ebay, and I can do that, but I'm looking for input from any forum members interested in specific spare/extra parts from it that would be interested in buying them as I would prefer that forum members get first choice.  I can't really put it in the Marketplace as there is entirely too much variety/quantity of items to list.  I have a few items already reserved for specific members, but large items, such as audio system, drive units, suspension, forks, fuel tanks, etc., could be made available.  I've tried contacting some motorcycle salvage companies and haven't had any response to my inquiries so they may not be interested.  Any advice, interest would be appreciated to help me make a decision whether to call a scrap hauler or help someone out.

Just curious :  What offer from a MC salvage yard  would you accept ?
    IBA #35372  Mile Eater Gold 8-2022
    BBG  5-2014  SS3K 9-2020
    Great Lakes 100 : 2011 / 2019 / 2022 / 2023
    2015 TTSE , 2008 Concours C-14
    1998 ST1100  1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5652
    • Topic Author

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 12.08 am
    May 10, 2023, 12.08 am
    I'd have to have one to consider first.  Three I have inquired with never responded.  I would take $1000 for it since it has a good XM Radio, good rear suspension, good front forks, good muffler, header, straight wheels, good calipers good seats, side cases that need the new skins on both sides, good switches, good drive unit, serviceable discs above the minimum thickness all around, good dash & instruments, good fuel tank, good fuel pump and new filter (less than 1K miles), some engine parts like alternator, starter.

• Offline flynvtwn   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    46

Offline flynvtwn

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE
    • City / Town: Crossville, TN
    Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 02.20 am
    May 10, 2023, 02.20 am
    I think I would throw it on Craigslist as a parts bike for $1250 and see what happens. Worst case you give it a week and you are in the same boat as you are right now.